Thread: Modding of Light Lancers

Default Modding of Light Lancers

Hi all, i'm not sure if this is the right forum to be posting this, but here I go... do move it if it's the wrong place.

Recently I've been trying to modify Thrace so that it can also build light lancers as befitting its historical role as a cavalry-strong nation. I tried doing that in the game files, allowing them to build light lancers, and editing the model_sprite (or something with a filename containing 'sprite') so that not only Macedon, but also Thrace, had a model of light lancers. But problem is, the unit cards show a drab-coloured peasant instead of a macedonian light lancer. I haven't seen the actual combat models yet, but I suspect something might be screwed up...

Any instructions on how to modify factions so they can build other characters? And while we're at it, any advice on how to reskin the light lancer so I can create a Thracian-coloured light lancer?

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

Frustrated would-be modder Member vastator's Avatar

Default Re: Modding of Light Lancers

You need to post this in the general modding foroum. I'm having exactly the same problem with Carthaginian/Seleucid ballistas. A few of the other members are trying to help me, but I seem to have overdosed on stupid pills this week!

I don't know how to get them re-skinned but I do know how to get you the unit cards

You have to download Vercingtorix's Pak extractor

Then unzip it to your E:\Total War\Rome - Total War\Data\packs folder and run the xpak.bat This will create a folder with a whole bunch of stuff

Next you have to Create E:\Total War\Rome - Total War\Data\UI
    and E:\Total War\Rome - Total War\Data\UI\Unit and E:\Total War\Rome - Total War\Data\UI\Unit info (not 100% positive on Unit and Unit Info, but it's the same as the ones you'll find in the packs folder's new stuff)

Then in the new Units and Unit Info folder create a folder THRACE in each.

Then go back to E:\Total War\Rome - Total War\Data\packs and look in the new folder till you find the Units and Unit Info folders. Inside you'll find folders with each factions name. Go into the Macedon folders and copy the light lancer files and paste them into the E:\Total War\Rome - Total War\Data\UI folders of corresponing folder (the file from E:\Total War\Rome - Total War\Data\packs\UI\Unit Info\MACEDON goes to E:\Total War\Rome - Total War\Data\UI\Unit Info\THRACE)

I'm sorry I'm not positive about folder names but I just recently reinstalled and haven't done any serious modding yet, so the folder names are coming from memory.

Hope this is clear and it helps.

Otto - They call them fingers, but I've never seen them fing...Oh there they go
    Cool Site

...where do I get this pak extractor?

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

Look here A list of all Tools and Editors .

You can also find a tutorial for xpak here.
    Last edited by Epistolary Richard; 06-21-2005 at 09:55.
    Epistolary Richard's modding Rules of Cool
    Cool modders make their mods with the :mod command line switch
    If they don't, then Cool mod-users use the Mod Enabler (JSGME)
    Cool modders use show_err
    Cool modders use the tutorials database Cool modders check out the Welcome to the Modding Forums! thread Cool modders keep backups Cool modders help each other out