Thread: iron gates

Guardian of Scotland Member Sir William Wallace's Avatar

Default iron gates

ok i was the Julii and i had a failry large army seiging a city. it was a rebel city , so i went in on the battle map to try and take over the city. they had iron gates on the walls, and troops on the walls. i had 6 onagers throwing flaming ammo at the city and the gates did not break when they were finished and there wasnt even a % sign to show how much damage it took, all that happened was that the city behind the wall was in flames. when i was out of ammo with the onagers, i could not do anything else b/c my units could not attack the wall. i had to quit the battle b/c there was nothing to do. why did this happen and how can i fix it or prevent this in the future? and what should i have done?
    Formerly Maximus Aurelius

Wolf_NimbleNota Member NimbleNota's Avatar

Default Re: iron gates

why did this happen and how can i fix it or prevent this in the future? and what should i have done?
    Bring a siege tower next time

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Sap points are better...
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Summa Rudis Senior Member Catiline's Avatar

And don't use flaming ammo. It's inaccurate (in both senses ;) ) and doesn't do as much damage to gates
    Quo usque tandem abutere, Catilina, patientia nostra

ok thank you, i shall try it out soon

Lightbulb Re: iron gates

Since they had Units at the walls, it would of made sense shooting the walls and Killing some units. Also it would of make a nice gap between the wall for your units to enter from.

Were you actualy targeting the gates or did you just set them on fire at will? I have found that you actualy have to click on the gate to get them to fire at it.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups...

"Incompetence - When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there's no end to what you can't do. "

Wolf_NimbleNota Member NimbleNota's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bubbanator
    I have found that you actualy have to click on the gate to get them to fire at it.
    Now theres a shocker
    Last edited by NimbleNota; 06-15-2005 at 00:55.

Piprökande Nåjd Member Bulawayo's Avatar

Default Sv: iron gates

The first priority in this case should be to target the iron gates themselves because they are much harder to hit than the gate tower. Some of the many boulders that will miss the gates will instead hit the tower, which is second priority. I believe one has to zoom in quite a bit to be able to target the gates. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Frustrated would-be modder Member vastator's Avatar

Station your onagers a fair distance back, otherwise the stones' trajectory will cause them to hit the wall above the gates, rather than the gates themselves. Also, like the man says, don't use flaming ammo against stone walls or iron gates. Stone and iron aren't noted for their combustibility.

ah yeah when i tried targeting the gates i couldnt get it,, i might have to zoom in more,,, i will take everyoens suggestions into conisderation,,, thanks a million

I sometimes have trouble getting a report on damage to walls and gates if my units are too far back. The games way of saying you limited scouting from range.

If you can't get a report when you know something is damaged you probably are being hindered by a sort of fog of war at the tactical level.
    KZ
    "A positive attitute may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."

Herm Albright