Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Click it or ticket

Default Re: Click it or ticket

I despise all these unconstitutional laws made to protect you from yourself. Nowdays the law isnt about justice its more about money. Police are nothing more than tax adjusters and collectors for the state around here.
    Couldnt have said it better myself. I thought i was the only one who had a problem with these "safety laws".

Goofball also had a point that this is a minor thing.. It should be included in a broader fight against all these safety laws.

Anyway I dont where a seatbelt - never have(except when i see a cop ) . My Rangy is the only safety device I need.

Blog Entries

Well simply put, there are many stupid laws out there... are they faithfully enforced? No. I've been pulled over by a Cop for speeding (and not wearing a seatbelt) He just looked at me kind of funny, and said "you mind slowing it down a bit?" and then he gave me a warning and left... not another word was said. I noticed as he jumped into his car and sped off, he wasn't wearing a seatbelt either. Of course there are zelous cops out there that enforce every law faithfully, but for the most part they'll just turn the other cheek... I mean most cops don't like doing extra paperwork just because someone isn't wearing a seatbelt, most are looking for DUIs or DWIs, speeders, and wreckless drivers, not people who are/aren't wearing a seat belt, making a law and forcing the law to conform are two different things. Police officers are of course still human, and have opinions, wether Law makers like it or not... take Canada for example, it's technically illegal to smoke marijuana... how many marijuana busts do cops make in Canada in a yearly basis? relatively nil, compared to the US.

The Orgs Prophet of RATM Member IrishMike's Avatar
    Somewhere in the defensive area of a soccer field, slaughtering puny strikers.

It more than likely takes more money to process the ticket and court, and everything than to just give a warning. With budgets to cops being so low these days, I think you can see where i'm going with this.... Most of the time its just not worth it. Like in my area, if its not 15-20 miles over, and you don't have that many tickets, they will let you off.
    When ignorance reigns life is lost.

War is norm, Fight the War, Screw the norm!

Quote Originally Posted by Wazikashi
    Take Canada for example, it's technically illegal to smoke marijuana... how many marijuana busts do cops make in Canada in a yearly basis? relatively nil, compared to the US.
    Plenty, actually. There was a bust in a grow operation down the street from me, then another a few streets over, then another on the other side of the community, all within weeks of one another.

Ambiguous Member Byzantine Prince's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wazikashi
    how many marijuana busts do cops make in Canada in a yearly basis?
    Huge! There's cops all over the place busting people for marijuana. Next to drunk and unsafe driving marijuana and meth is the biggest reason we have cops on the streets.

Very Senior Member Gawain of Orkeny's Avatar

It more than likely takes more money to process the ticket and court, and everything than to just give a warning. With budgets to cops being so low these days, I think you can see where i'm going with this.... Most of the time its just not worth it. Like in my area, if its not 15-20 miles over, and you don't have that many tickets, they will let you off.
    If you dont think the local police departments make millions of dollars a year for the local government and the state then you have another thing coming. They waeight the cost of prosecuting you against what they can get out of you. If you have enough money to pay a lwayer(part of the Kabal) and pay a fine you can do almost anything once and walk away. If you cant afford to pay them off they send you to jail. Jailis such a lucrative buissness now independent contractors are opening them up. What a nice way to make a living. No offense Tito At least you work for the state. You get stopped here with no seatbelt you will get a ticket. They even have checkpoints where they stop you to make sure their on. Now investing money in night vision goggles is going a bit too far here to catch someone doing something so minor. Law enforcement nowdays reminds me of the gestapo. You ever see theat show COPS. Well I wont tell you what I call it.
    Fighting for Truth , Justice and the American way

...take Canada for example, it's technically illegal to smoke marijuana... how many marijuana busts do cops make in Canada in a yearly basis? relatively nil, compared to the US.
    49,639...The number of people arrested for marijuana-related crimes in 2001 (possession and other charges), according to Statistics Canada. In the U.S. in 2000, that number was 734,498. Link
    Last edited by Krypta; 06-16-2005 at 04:11.
    ..::Noobs don't own themselves!::..

Quote Originally Posted by Krypta
    49,639...The number of people arrested for marijuana-related crimes in 2001 (possession and other charges), according to Statistics Canada. In the U.S. in 2000, that number was 734,498. Link
    Not the same year, but okay. Even with the difference there, the population of the US is roughly ten times larger. What are the up-to-date statistics, now that the West Coast Marijuana Trade is booming?

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

If the state is expected to patch you up after the accident it should be able to put the onus on you to minimise damage done to yourself.

The other side is if the states don't have the law someone would probably sue the states for damage done to themselves when they have an accident.

'You didn't tell me the risks, you didn't make it so I can't be hurt so you have to pay my emotional damages!"

Would be the same set of people who have made companies so scared that they have to state coffee and pies are hot.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

If you dont think the local police departments make millions of dollars a year for the local government and the state then you have another thing coming
    Maybe in New York. But down here in the south things are a bit different. First off many of the small town farming communities, which i happen to live around, have about 2-3 cops. Of course their is the highway patrol but still even they are underfunded, or so they claim. Most police stations down here are excited about getting a gun that shoots bean bags for non-violent control methods. Does that sound like rolling in the dough to you? Sure don't to me. They even run stories about it on the news its so big and exciting. Sure I bet they make a fair amount, but its not anywhere near the supposed millions of dollars. It most certainly isn't going to the local governments either.

Quote Originally Posted by NeonGod
    Not the same year, but okay. Even with the difference there, the population of the US is roughly ten times larger. What are the up-to-date statistics, now that the West Coast Marijuana Trade is booming?
    Not sure,I don't think Statistics Canada releases a report on it every year. However, I would think that the comparative difference, between the year 2000 and that of today, would be probably negilible. I also wouldn't say that there is a boom in the West Coast Marijuana Trade, growing pot in BC isn't a recent phenomena nor is marijuana a strictly BC issue.
    ..::Noobs don't own themselves!::..

Maybe in New York. But down here in the south things are a bit different. First off many of the small town farming communities, which i happen to live around, have about 2-3 cops. Of course their is the highway patrol but still even they are underfunded, or so they claim. Most police stations down here are excited about getting a gun that shoots bean bags for non-violent control methods.
    I read about this small town in Georgia that started busting people for pot. In a year they had all new police cars and a new station from the money they made confiscating peoples property and auctioning it off. The more money they make the better stuff they get(like night vision goggles to catch seatblt offenders) The more thewy infringe upom our privacy. If we really want to end crime why not just let the police to random house searches. Again theres a price to pay for freedom. Most of you are to young to remember driving without seatbelts and it not only being legal but few if any cars had them. Do you really believe they made this law because their afraid you will get hurt or did they make it so that the insurance companies dont have to pay out so much. Oh you werent wearing a seatbelt? Well then Im afraid your not entitled to full compensation. That I can see. You made the choice. But to be able to pull you over for not wearing a seatbelt is unconstitutional. Also its been said many times driving is a privilige. Well in many places in the US its not a privilige its a nessicity. You cant go shoppimmg or anything else if you dont drive. I couldnt imagine the founding fathers making a law depriving someone of the right to ride a horse.

All true words. I agree the choice to wear or not, should be the individual not the government's choice. But as it is, the laws the law, so why not just live with it, knowing it most likely will never change.

Now about this drug issue, per capita there are more meth bust around my neck of the woods than anywhere else, somehow I think were getting jipped out of the money.

Wearing Seat belts. In 1969, just before I left the honorable service of the magnificant army of the America - I'f'd-up. But, I did make my passengers put on their seatbelts (in my '63 Catalina convertable). Before I wrapped it conveniently around a post. Not intentionally of course - some moron had left the water on at a park and water being what it is - it crossed it, soaked it, and waited for a numbnuts to cross its path (I, was that numb nuts - we were all drunk as hell and a mile from redemption - oh. well). Surival is circumstance, circumstance is survival. It happens.

As the "post" in my locker said, "Sh__ happens". Never thought about it much, 'Til an IG. Forgot to remove it. And the inspector (a IG Colonel) saw it. He asked me if I thought that was appropriate? I said it was from from my Mom, and had forgotten (become accustom to seeing it). He said, "Sounds like my Mom, hide it next IG." I got no gigs and a max on my barracks performance. [sorry, did I mention I was the "platoon leader"?]

Back, to the issue - wearing seatbelts. Those that don't die at a rate 5 times higher than those that do.

Live stupid, die stupid.

And, the ignorant need not die, simply understand the reason they are.

To forgive bad deeds is Christian; to reward them is Republican. 'MC' Rove
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    ]Clowns to the right of me, Jokers to the left ... here I am - stuck in the middle with you.

Save the Whales. Collect the whole set of them.

Better to have your enemys in the tent pissin' out, than have them outside the tent pissin' in. LBJ

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

Quote Originally Posted by Papewaio
    If the state is expected to patch you up after the accident it should be able to put the onus on you to minimise damage done to yourself.
    Put this logic into politics and you will soon end up in Orson Wells 1984...

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ColdKnight
    Maybe in New York. But down here in the south things are a bit different. First off many of the small town farming communities, which i happen to live around, have about 2-3 cops. Of course their is the highway patrol but still even they are underfunded, or so they claim. Most police stations down here are excited about getting a gun that shoots bean bags for non-violent control methods. Does that sound like rolling in the dough to you? Sure don't to me. They even run stories about it on the news its so big and exciting. Sure I bet they make a fair amount, but its not anywhere near the supposed millions of dollars. It most certainly isn't going to the local governments either.
    There's lots of money in tickets... here is a shining example.
    The New Rome speed trap

New Rome police had systematically taken advantage of the village's sudden drop in posted speed along the busy thoroughfare of West Broad Street to pull over thousands of motorists, raising nearly $400,000 annually from frequently trivial traffic citations. Nearly all of this money was funneled back into the police force, which almost exclusively dealt with traffic violations and so essentially existed to fund itself. The 60-resident village had as many as 14 policemen, with the Village Council wanting more.
    That's an extreme example for sure, but in PA at least, small towns are well known for their zealous ticket writing. Their police forces often have little else to do anyhow and if an officer can manage even a ticket an hour they're raising some decent cash for the dept.

More directly on topic, I agree that these laws are absurd. Should our government encourage people to wear them? Yes, but it shouldn't be legally mandated. Yes, I wear a seatbelt and would even if it wasnt illegal not to. Heck, I usually wear a helmet when cycling- it may look stupid, but I figure compare that to how stupid I'd look with my head bashed in after an accident without one.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gawain of Orkeny
    I read about this small town in Georgia that started busting people for pot. In a year they had all new police cars and a new station from the money they made confiscating peoples property and auctioning it off. The more money they make the better stuff they get(like night vision goggles to catch seatblt offenders) The more thewy infringe upom our privacy. If we really want to end crime why not just let the police to random house searches.
    Sounds like a government department run by business men! Sound business practices
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

I think too many people have jsut looked at the surface of this argument. I don't think the point is whether or not it is a good idea, which it obviously is and I always wear mine, but whether we should be told to do it with the risk of being punished if we don't.

I work as a safety advisor and some of the laws and legislation that is either in or coming in are taking it to the level of everyone being wrapped in cotton wool, for example the new working at height legislation states that working at height is "The Work at Height Regulations 2005 apply to all work at height where there is a risk of a fall liable to cause personal injury." At first glance this seems entirely reasonable until you learn that working at height now has no minimum height level, before the guidance said that in general it was over 2m, and could even be standing on the kerb or a platform 6" off the ground (sorry for the imperial and metric ).

Then, of course, there was the doctors calling for the ban of sharp pointy knives, but one of my favourites is the wearing of hard hats on building sites, always a good idea, unless you happen to be wearing a turban .

Do we really need to be told what to do or just advised of the risks and then left to make our own decision?

Oh, flash of inspiration

Why don't we remove all safety warnings, laws that we don't really need etc then in a few years of natural selection we wouldn't need warning labels that told us not to use electric heaters while in the bath or this may contain nuts on the side of dry roasted peanuts?

Blog Entries

well that would get rid of a lot of idiots... sure why not.

Senior Member Senior Member English assassin's Avatar

Come on people, this is just not an infringement of liberty. Even having to wear a crash helmet is more of an infringement, since you leave the seatbelt in the car whereas I have to carry my helmet with me when I am off the bike.

Sure there MIGHT be a case that the US government is overregulating US Citizens. And, since I discovered today that we have to do pregnancy health and safety assessments for all women in the firm of childbearing age "because they might be pregnant and not know it", (and apparently its automatic sex discrimination if we don't) I am with Big J on health and safety.

maybe we should save money by only employing lesbians?

But grumbling about a no brainer like seatbelts just distracts from things that might really be worth worrying about.
    "The only thing I've gotten out of this thread is that Navaros is claiming that Satan gave Man meat. Awesome." Gorebag

But grumbling about a no brainer like seatbelts just distracts from things that might really be worth worrying about.
    That works for both sides of the argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Ja'chyra
    Oh, flash of inspiration

Why don't we remove all safety warnings, laws that we don't really need etc then in a few years of natural selection we wouldn't need warning labels that told us not to use electric heaters while in the bath or this may contain nuts on the side of dry roasted peanuts?
    That's basically the reason why all drugs should be legalized and sold openly.

Dyslexic agnostic insomniac Senior Member Goofball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PanzerJager
    Couldnt have said it better myself. I thought i was the only one who had a problem with these "safety laws".

Goofball also had a point that this is a minor thing.. It should be included in a broader fight against all these safety laws.
    Like the Patriot Act?

I find it ironic (to say the least) that you defend the right of your government to search you home without telling you and compile lists of what books you read, but you feel that forcing you to complete a physical act that takes less than one second and will possibly save your life is an infringement upon your freedom.

"What, have Canadians run out of guns to steal from other Canadians and now need to piss all over our glee?"

- TSM

Ive got nothing to hide Goof. They can look at my library books and what Ive got in my house if they like, they wont find anything incriminating.

What does bother me is that they force me to where a seatbelt. I feel the government forcing an action upon an unwilling citizen is much more offensive to my rights than the government being able to verify im not a criminal.

In one case the government is simply doing what a search warrent could do anyway, in the other case the government is forcing me to do something I dont want to.

In any event, there should be a Land Rover lane in all countries to show respect for such an amazing group of vehicles.. traffic laws shouldnt apply.

I guess, it doesn't really matter to me if someone gets thrown out of their car, as long as they aren't thrown into mine, and as long as I don't have to look at their smear on the road for too long.
    Last edited by Kanamori; 06-16-2005 at 22:09.

"The Work at Height Regulations 2005 apply to all work at height where there is a risk of a fall liable to cause personal injury." At first glance this seems entirely reasonable until you learn that working at height now has no minimum height level, before the guidance said that in general it was over 2m, and could even be standing on the kerb or a platform 6" off the ground (sorry for the imperial and metric ).
    Ja'chyra , The regulations specify about guard rails and safety lines , neither is applicable to kerbs .
    As for the elimination of the height level , I have seen two people die at work falling from platforms that were below the old minimum height and so didn't require the guard rails by law . One was from 5ft and the death was instant , the other was from 3 ft and the death was very slow , very loud and very messy .
    The new regulations state that each job should be assessed for possible hazards before commencement and suitable precautions taken to reduce any dangers .
    Perfectly straightforward and comletely reasonable .

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

Well, I don't know about the laws in general, but I think children should have to buckle up by law, at least up to a certain age. A four-year-old won't know or understand the dangers in not buckling up if his or her parents don't teach the kid.

I agree you should have to buckle up untill you are an adult by law. Then perhaps it should be a choice. This seems to allow freedom and protect at the same time.

There will soon be a law on wearing a condom at all times....... It is statistically proven that it will prevent the spread of AIDS and it will save lifes.....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast