Thread: Port in Memphis ?

Default Port in Memphis ?

Maybe a silly question , but is there any point in building a port in Memphis ?
    Will any slave trade and food exports with Bostra make it worth the expense and more importantly the use of building time .

Default Re: Port in Memphis ?

I'd wait to build it until you've exhausted your other trading and farming options; you won't get very much sea trade from there, so if you've got something better to spend cash on, do that first.

When playing as Egypt, you'll be filthy rich. Building a port (400 denarii) is hardly going to break your bank.

Get the port! Unless you are a cheapskate, very poor, or looking to mass up troops to knock TSE out as fast as possible.

Cheers Mcmahon , that was what I was thinking basically , I just wondered if anyone had worked out how much benefit it would bring , especially with boosting Bostras population with grain exports
    Building a port (400 denarii) is hardly going to break your bank.
    Yes but would the building time be better used on other things was what I was mainly wondering .

Apparently it won't work anyway, even if you build it. In my campaign I own the whole of Egypt and the Middle East, and I had the money and time to build the shipwright (thinking that would "fix" the bug that the Memphis port didn't work) and then the dockyard (thinking that would fix the bug that the shipwright didn't work) and the dockyard still has no trade in or out. Bostra would be the only one it could trade with anyway, since they'll opt for the far less lucrative overland trade to Thebes and Petra.

So, no, don't build it at all.

I would say that unless you you want to get some red sea oil rigs early, you should not build a port in memphis

Aristotle, Chadalac Muskalaid Member Muska Burnt's Avatar

Angry Re: Port in Memphis ?

just build it your will quickly regain that 400

Quote Originally Posted by Armoryk
    Apparently it won't work anyway, even if you build it. In my campaign I own the whole of Egypt and the Middle East, and I had the money and time to build the shipwright (thinking that would "fix" the bug that the Memphis port didn't work) and then the dockyard (thinking that would fix the bug that the shipwright didn't work) and the dockyard still has no trade in or out. Bostra would be the only one it could trade with anyway, since they'll opt for the far less lucrative overland trade to Thebes and Petra.

So, no, don't build it at all.
    This is correct. I built a port in Memphis (specifically so I could built a few biremes to take out these annoying pirate ships that were blockading Thebes' port), and found that - even after the blockaders were killed off, it wouldn't do any sea trade with Thebes, or with Petra (which I now control) or the other port city on the Arabian peninsula. Very annoying, and I can only imagine that it has to do with how narrow the Reed Sea is (not the Red Sea, the Reed Sea - the narrow part west of the Sinai).