Thread: Evolution of the TW battlefield - what next?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    English Nationalist Member GonZ's Avatar

Default Evolution of the TW battlefield - what next?

Just for a moment detach yourself from the campaign game and think about our beloved 3D battlefield.

Where should CA go next? What features would you like to add? What gameplay?

For myself:

Much, much larger maps and deployment areas. Giving more room in which to manoeuvre troops for maximum tactical advantage.

A new dynamic control UI that offer movement options based on individual units capabilities and experience.

How would you improve it?

-

Again, I apologise if this is dragging up a previous forum topic.

-

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Default Re: Evolution of the TW battlefield - what next?

Sorry to tell you but...

There are thousands of posts like these!!!

I would like a MTW2...
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

English Nationalist Member GonZ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval
    I would like a MTW2...
    OK you want MTW2.

But the topic is about the battlefield. What modifications, added functionality would you like to see applied to the new MTW2 battlefield?

You wouldn't want it exactly the same as MTW or RTW would you? Can you not see areas for improvement, innovation?

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Well...

I want improved graphics, improved AI, many new units, factions and provinces.....
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Weird Organism Senior Member Drisos's Avatar

Graphics are fine, but should be changable via options, choose your own grafics.

Keep the STW elegance.

Maps in the true shape of the region, and a better system with the borders.

- Chu - Gi - Makoto - Rei - Jin - Yu - Meiyo -

Evolution?
    There is no evolution. The Ca created TW battlefield years ago on sixth day of creation of Total War and it has remained same ever since.

Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar

I'd want:
    - bigger battlefields. If possible, make them even twice the size of those in Medieval!
    - larger armies, even if that means going back to sprites only again. I'd like to control legions consisting of at least 6000 men, if possible armies with two to three real legions and as much auxilia as support. Of course they would be facing huge barbarian armies twice or three time their size...
    - the ability to have a carroballistae "attached" to each cohort without needing a new unit slot for each carroballista
    - better nature graphics. I actually liked the M:TW nature better than the nature in R:TW. The nature in R:TW has too little variety - either forest covering the entire battlefiled or no forest at all, pretty much. Too few smaller hills etc. I like the complexity of the M:TW battlefields, but I wouldn't mind seeing even more complex terrain.
    - impossible for chariots to move in too terrain
    - penalty for cavalry and chariots in medium-steep terrain and much penalty for moving over plowed fields, forests and similar
    - field fortifications (ability to place chevaux de friese, caltrops etc.)
    - more farms, small villages, buildings and other details on the battlefields
    - better coordination of the AI behaviour.
    - making the Ai using fake retreats, Hannibal's Cannae bulging and then withdrawn centre, skilled harassing from AI to open up weak points in player's defensive formation, cavalry doing hit-and-run attacks
    - cavalry being less powerful for prolonged combat, but more effective at hit-and-run, cavalry having MUCH smaller units
    - slower battle speed
    - a system so that the defeated part won't lose 90 percent of his army in the routing phase - for example fleeing enemies halting, turning around and cooperating against their hunters while continuing the flight.
    - make it possible to give AI controlled own armies some simple basic orders about tactics before battle (such as: stay hidden and ambush enemy when I give signal in horn, or: pin the enemy, or: wait until I pin enemy then attack rear, or: only harass - keep own casualties down at all costs even if it means few enemy casualties infliced)

Edit:
    - I'd also like if factions could coordinate their attacks more (perhaps a diplomatic option "let's start a campaign against faction x together, let our armies meet at point: specify by click, or an option: "give troops to faction x for y turns to support their war against faction z" or "request troops from faction x for your war against faction y for z turns") so you can have 2 or more enemies against you in one battle or get to command auxiliaries from tributaries and/or allies to get more varied armies and interesting battles. I'd also like to see a larger portion of militia and smaller amount of professionals.
    Last edited by Rodion Romanovich; 06-16-2005 at 16:23.
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

Disturbed Member TenkiWarPRIEST's Avatar

Zulu Total War
    TenkiWarPriest Tsuchiya Great Clans of Tenki
    :M Gah WarPriest Gah - Krasturak

I leap from depths of debt into the skies.
    Autumn of The Dragon.

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Gah!!!

Where did you pop from Tenki-sama?

Are you lurking around much or just flying through?

Kind Regards,
    Pape
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Everyone says AI but I've gotta say it too.

I would like to see a TW set in the modern era like WWI or WWII.

Also, I'm surprised so few others mention this (or there's not a mod for it), but I'd like to see blood, severed arms, heads, screams of agony and such. They could have a toggle between clean and bloody. Though I guess this is wishful thinking, since I'm sure they don't want an M rating which is understandable. Still I'm disturbed by the Disney-fication of RTW. They don't even have the death rattles that soldiers had in MTW when they die.

I'd like to see characters that drag the wounded out of the melee and soldiers who are wounded limp out or crawl out.

The return of prisoners and ransoms.
    "A well-calculated move straight out of Sun Tzu's classic text The Art of War, or my own masterwork, Zapp Brannigan's Big Book of War."

Aristotle, Chadalac Muskalaid Member Muska Burnt's Avatar

ya blood and injury would be cool to see and for cavarly when people kill the horse i wanna see the man get up and fight or if he get stuck under his horse like see someone lauph then just stab his neck or something

Lord of the Kanto Senior Member ToranagaSama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spacekraken
    Also, I'm surprised so few others mention this (or there's not a mod for it), but I'd like to see blood, severed arms, heads, screams of agony and such.

I know a good physcotherapist, if you need a name....
    In Victory and Defeat there is much honor
    For valor is a gift And those who posses it
    Never know for certain They will have it
    When the next test comes....

The next test is the MedMod 3.14; strive with honor.
    Graphics files and Text files
    Load Graphics 1st, Texts 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by ToranagaSama
    I know a good physcotherapist, if you need a name....
    I've a good spelling teacher, if you need a name... (psychotherapist)