Thread: cataphracts???

Default cataphracts???

I've been fighting for years in Asia minor as Greece. I've been placing my armored Hoplites facing The Parthian Army and lossing. But for some reason Their cataphracts some how manage to break through my Hoplite formations. I know cataphracts are shock troops but I thought Hoplite would own them since they are spearmen?
    Last edited by Lancome; 06-16-2005 at 18:30. Reason: Fix some spelling

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Default Re: cataphracts???

Cataphracts are probably the best cavalry in that game. Thus, they tend to get more penetration and do more damage. On top of that, all that armor gives the Catanks more impact power(see Ludus Magna, there is a topic on charging damage, armor is for 'impact' calculations and mass is for knock back calculations). Since ARMOR dictates impact damage more than raw charge power, Catanks being probably the heaviest armored unit in the game, they get lots and lots of power.

If you haven't modded out the flying horsies, the Catanks will land in the middle of your formations. If the Catanks get too close, the Phalanx switches to swords and the whole thing falls apart. if oyu don't want to mod it however, you can fix this by using a thin 2-4 thick phalanx infront of a normal Phalanx. Basically the front Phalanx destroys the charge and the second one mops up.

Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

I find that the only Phalanx unit capable of defeating Catanks by themselves is either Spartans, Silver-shields or Armoured Hoplites (the armoured hoplites need to have silver armour though, or they are roadkill). They can just about withstand a Catank charge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

Actually, if the player were to use the Alt-right click command for the Cats, i.e., make them use their maces instead of Lances in close melee, they will beat any unit one-on-one except 50% against Spartans. This is on medium diff ofcourse where neither side gets an advantage.

You don't have to do a Alt-right click once the melee has started, simply do a Alt-right (double) click and the Cats will do their standard charge and auto-shift to maces. (a point many don't seem to know and keep Alt right clicking after the charge).

The maces have better melee stats and armour piercing. Alt-right click is ofcourse beneficial to all other heavy cavalry which has a secondary weopon but doesnt use it automatically. Another lame bug from CA which wasnt there in the Demo, but made it to the game... go figure.

BTW, lucky for us, the AI has no clue how to use Alt-right click... so AI Cats are rather casterated... and yet people complain...
    Last edited by sik1977; 06-17-2005 at 02:02.
    AMD A64 3700+ (San Diego)
    MSI K8N NEO4 Platinum
    Asus EN7800GTX TOP 256MB
    Kingston 2x1 GB DDR400 Ram
    Cooler Master Extreme Power Duo 600W

If you want a more realistic version of cav v inf engagements you need to get rid of the horse charge jump animation which allows cav to unrealistically break into inf formations.

More info HERE

Always trailing off... Member Arrowhead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by antisocialmunky
    Cataphracts are probably the best cavalry in that game. Thus, they tend to get more penetration and do more damage. On top of that, all that armor gives the Catanks more impact power(see Ludus Magna, there is a topic on charging damage, armor is for 'impact' calculations and mass is for knock back calculations). Since ARMOR dictates impact damage more than raw charge power, Catanks being probably the heaviest armored unit in the game, they get lots and lots of power.

If you haven't modded out the flying horsies, the Catanks will land in the middle of your formations. If the Catanks get too close, the Phalanx switches to swords and the whole thing falls apart. if oyu don't want to mod it however, you can fix this by using a thin 2-4 thick phalanx infront of a normal Phalanx. Basically the front Phalanx destroys the charge and the second one mops up.

Actually Scythe Chariots have just as much armour.

Aristotle, Chadalac Muskalaid Member Muska Burnt's Avatar

i actualy just did a test cataphracts vs. spartan hoplite and the spartans actualy won but without takeing cripling losses but this has happened to me plenty of time with the horse closing in so swords come out but everytime the hoplites win

Quote Originally Posted by Centurion Officer
    i actualy just did a test cataphracts vs. spartan hoplite and the spartans actualy won but without takeing cripling losses but this has happened to me plenty of time with the horse closing in so swords come out but everytime the hoplites win
    I've havent used Spart Hops on them yet.

Senior Member Senior Member katank's Avatar

Armour piercing means that Armored hops get smacked down.

Armoured hops have someting like 11 armor.

Katas with secondary can kill urbans 1v1 due to oodles of armor that the urban has.

Spartans however, have little armor and work well.

Spear bonus yes but take a militia hoplite vs. a cataphract and observe the ownage.

TW is so much better due to not being pure rock paper scissors.

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

I think Spartans are good against anything that doesn't use missiles.

Seriously, what can beat them 1 on 1?
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Dunno Maybe Urban Cohorns

Aristotle, Chadalac Muskalaid Member Muska Burnt's Avatar

urban cohort if they both have max xp armor and weapons