Thread: Factions to play

Not affiliated with Red Dwarf. Member Ianofsmeg16's Avatar
    Home of Palm trees, cats with no tails, three-legged men, fairies...and more german bikers than germany

Default Factions to play

Hi,
    I've been playing RTW for quite a while now and played with most of the factions (including the so called unplayable ones) and i feel like its getting repetitive, i play on M/M huge, so im thinking of going to hard/hard but what faction should i play as? what is the most fun, challenging, easy etc...
    thnx for your help!!
    When I was a child
    I caught a fleeting glimpse
    Out of the corner of my eye.
    I turned to look but it was gone
    I cannot put my finger on it now
    The child is grown,
    The dream is gone.
    I have become comfortably numb...

Proud Supporter of the Gahzette

Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar

Default Re: Factions to play

Gauls, Seleucids, Parthia, Armenia and Numidia are challenging. Seleucids, Parthia and Armenia get really easy after the first 15-20 years though...
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

Numidia is the only faction I haven't been able to win at yet. Never can get the economy going well and fending off Carthage and Egypt tends to be a no-winner. So if you're looking for a tough challenge, I'd say Numidia. (Oh, I generally play VH/H.)

Armenia and Partha also difficult factions compared to most, but they both require patience during battles. Bottom line, 8 elite HA's can destroy practically any army if you take the time and micro-manage all the units. I enjoyed them both first time I won with them, but haven't wanted to replay them again.

Spain can be a fun faction to play. They do get good units that are somewhat unique (sudo Roman), but start out rather poor and you can bet the Jullii will be trying to take a bite out of your empire rather quickly.
    Magnum

Chief Biscuit Monitor Member professorspatula's Avatar

Numidia is a great campaign to attempt, but you'll really have to rely on their cavalry and getting money from Egypt whenever they force you into becoming a protectorate. I ended up fielding armies that consisted entirely of skirmisher cavalry and general's bodyguards, just to kick Scipii out of Africa, and then to force the Spanish to leave their settlements too. My leader Gisgo became one of the best cavalry general's of all time.

If you've tried most of the campaigns and are bored - there's always mods to try. Or you could start as a faction and migrate your entire population to an island (Hibernia for example) and then gradually try and build yourself up from scratch.
    Improving the TW Series one step at a time:

BI Extra Hordes & Unlocked Factions Mod: Available here.

Always trailing off... Member Arrowhead's Avatar

Gaul,Germany.

If you want challenge play Numidia , Dacia or Spain on VH/VH.

Humanist Senior Member Franconicus's Avatar

Take Scythia, they are something else!

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

play / download RTR , then play Armenia and numidia , those factions will keep you interrested for a while

I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

Load up RTR and play as the Sarmatians.Then only allow yourself to train Cavalry units and hire mercs for sieges and see how you do.I abandoned all but one city and brought the entire Sarmatian nation right around the map and back to reclaim the homeland before heading into Italy to sack Rome.My HAs and Noble HAs were all triple gold chevroned by this stage.Good fun and quite difficult as you have no income other than sacking cities.
    "Go tell the Spartans,stranger passing by that here,obedient to their laws we lie."