Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jebus.

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

Default Jebus.

My friend told me yesterday that he had finally played a game to a point further than 0 AD. On telling me this, i asked him if the Birth of Jebus was a historical event, and, he replied yes, saying it happens in (yep, you guessed it) 0 AD. I was just wondering, but is there actually a grain of truth in this? And why would CA include this event, which could so easily not have happened if the Romans hadn't come to power. After all, the Romans had the Census which brought Mary to Bethlahem, which led the Three Kings there. After all, if the Egyptians or some neighbouring faction had been in control at the time, they wouldn't have had the Census, which would mean Jebus would stay wherever Mary and Joseph lived, which would have meant no one would have known of his birth. This raises a lot of questions...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

Default Re: Jebus.

Jebus? lmao

Hmmm, aside from the fact that Jesus was born in 1 A.D. and that 0 A.D. is not a date I have to say it's no less improbable of an event than any historical event they decided to put into the game. One has to remember that the probability of any individual being born at all is very slim, since it hinges on the exact right gametes being there at the exact right time, and any inventor, philosopher, politician, or general might have taken a different course in life anyhow.

I still want to know who "Jebus" is?

Jebus = Jesus. Anyways, 0 AD was close to 1 AD, wasn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by bodidley
    Hmmm, aside from the fact that Jesus was born in 1 A.D. and that 0 A.D. is not a date I have to say it's no less improbable of an event than any historical event they decided to put into the game. One has to remember that the probability of any individual being born at all is very slim, since it hinges on the exact right gametes being there at the exact right time, and any inventor, philosopher, politician, or general might have taken a different course in life anyhow.
    Precisely what i was trying to say. I'm just not very good at saying things. Anyway, first that particular historical person has to be born. What if history had taken a different path, and Jebus' ancestors had been killed by Marauding Romans back when that particular region was conquered? Obviously, he wouldn't have been born. And even if he had been born, what if his family had been made into slaves by the Romans, and were somewhere else in the empire, such as Spain, or France? They definately won't make it to Bethlehem for the Census.
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

He is the masibus...

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BrutalDictatorship
    "Hey did anyone else notice this? on page 375 it says "Jebus"."

"...it's supposed to be Jesus, right?"

Sorry, couldn't resist. Anyway, no. I highly doubt this is true. The game doesn't extend to the time when he began his following so why would the game announce his birth?

Quote Originally Posted by BrutalDictatorship
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/member.php?u=12521

Quote Originally Posted by Monk
    Sorry, couldn't resist. Anyway, no. I highly doubt this is true. The game doesn't extend to the time when he began his following so why would the game announce his birth?
    I don't know why the game would announce his birth. Maybe because it's one of the most historical events in human history?

Member Member Gregorius Vecchius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bodidley
    Actually I hear it was something like 5 or 6 BC, which makes the term BC in itself kinda ... wrong.
    Delvecchio

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeus Caesar
    I don't know why the game would announce his birth. Maybe because it's one of the most historical events in human history?
    how can something be 'more historical'? either it's historical, or it's not, no?
    Delvecchio

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

I still find it hard to believe as it wasn't important to the time period portrayed in rtw. Show me a screen of the announcement; then i'll change my mind.

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gregorius Vecchius
    Actually I hear it was something like 5 or 6 BC, which makes the term BC in itself kinda ... wrong.
    yes yes. i think 1 year before christ was born is still 1 BC no matter if the actual year was 2900000000

We do not sow.

Actually, if you take the gospels as historically accurate, Jesus could have been born no later than 4BC. Why? Herod the Great (Mr baby killer himself) died around Spring 4BC. Some historians and biblical commentators think that he could have been born as early as 12BC but the genral consensus is around 5 or 6 BC.

This is why we now tend to use CE (Current Era) rather than BC. It's not just people being PC.

Oh - and the years went 2BC, 1BC, 1AD, 2AD etc (but I'm pretty sure they didn't call them that at the time.

Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Uriel
    Actually, if you take the gospels as historically accurate, Jesus could have been born no later than 4BC. Why? Herod the Great (Mr baby killer himself) died around Spring 4BC. Some historians and biblical commentators think that he could have been born as early as 12BC but the genral consensus is around 5 or 6 BC.

This is why we now tend to use CE (Current Era) rather than BC. It's not just people being PC.

Oh - and the years went 2BC, 1BC, 1AD, 2AD etc (but I'm pretty sure they didn't call them that at the time.
    I think 2 BC is the most popular one. Based on astronomy they've also found evens that could be the big star. One took place during midsummer and another one around the 25th of December that same year.
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

but there is no 2bc, the day' he's born is 0, the year after is 1 AD the year before is 1BC. even if the year is the 689 moon year or 131414313413441314321 dec or sumthing like that

We do not sow.

Humanist Senior Member Franconicus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeus Caesar
    My friend told me yesterday that he had finally played a game to a point further than 0 AD. On telling me this, i asked him if the Birth of Jebus was a historical event, and, he replied yes, saying it happens in (yep, you guessed it) 0 AD. I was just wondering, but is there actually a grain of truth in this? And why would CA include this event, which could so easily not have happened if the Romans hadn't come to power. After all, the Romans had the Census which brought Mary to Bethlahem, which led the Three Kings there. After all, if the Egyptians or some neighbouring faction had been in control at the time, they wouldn't have had the Census, which would mean Jebus would stay wherever Mary and Joseph lived, which would have meant no one would have known of his birth. This raises a lot of questions...
    Mikeus,
    it had to be the way it was. It was told by the prophets and written in the book. Nothing could have changed it. It was HIS plan from the very beginning!

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Men change their plans for God, it's not the other way around.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Umeu 1
    but there is no 2bc, the day' he's born is 0, the year after is 1 AD the year before is 1BC. even if the year is the 689 moon year or 131414313413441314321 dec or sumthing like that
    Yeah, it should really be called 2 BOYIBTBYOBOC , meaning 1 Before Old Year Incorrectly Believed To Be Year Of Birth Of Christ, but that's a little unpractical...
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

hmm

We do not sow.

Actualy I understand where did you get info that Jesus was born on 2 B.C. , if the new count 9 A.D. 0 begins from the date of his birth?

Edit: DID NOT UNDERSTAND.
    Last edited by IliaDN; 06-17-2005 at 17:29.

Quote Originally Posted by IliaDN
    Actualy I understand where did you get info that Jesus was born on 2 B.C. , if the new count 9 A.D. 0 begins from the date of his birth?
    Me? I read it in a book
    It depends on problems in the keeping record of time through all these years, so there was early a conclusion that you couldn't be sure year 0 was year 0. Then, based on historical data, some historians and others have made calculations and stuff, which suggests years like 2 BC, 3 BC and 7 BC with the current time are the most likely years for the exact time of birth.
    Under construction...

Quote Originally Posted by LegioXXXUlpiaVictrix
    I think 2 BC is the most popular one. Based on astronomy they've also found evens that could be the big star. One took place during midsummer and another one around the 25th of December that same year.
    Actually, to take 2BC as the date, you have to ignore to accounts of Jesus' birth and early life in Matthew and Luke. Dates for Herod the Great are pretty much confirmed. He died 2 years before that. The fact of the matter is nobody really knows the year Jesus was born. That's why we've got so many dates flying around!

In my opinion it is a bit Monastery stuff ...

I am not positive, but I saw in some timeline thing in social studies that he was born in 4bc and that when he was four, he started talking about God for the first time and that is when AD started.

AD is the abbriviation for some latin phrase that means "In The Year of Our Lord"

He didn't talk about God until that point so it wouldn't have actualy been "In the Year of Our Lord" until he started talking about God
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups...

"Incompetence - When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there's no end to what you can't do. "

If this is correct things became clearer ... thanks !!!!!

For those interested in what the RTW event _actually_ says please see this post.

Recap for the detail impaired
    Last edited by Epistolary Richard; 06-17-2005 at 17:54.
    Epistolary Richard's modding Rules of Cool
    Cool modders make their mods with the :mod command line switch
    If they don't, then Cool mod-users use the Mod Enabler (JSGME)
    Cool modders use show_err
    Cool modders use the tutorials database Cool modders check out the Welcome to the Modding Forums! thread Cool modders keep backups Cool modders help each other out

Quote Originally Posted by IliaDN
    If this is correct things became clearer ... thanks !!!!!
    Well, it isn't correct. AD (Anno domini, the year of our lord) refers to Jebus himself. Remember, Gob, Jebus and the Holy Bhost are actually one and the same.
    The reason why he was born before he was born (if you're still with me) is that our calendar was made by Greborius who calculated wrong the date of the birth of Jebus. He created an adjusted calendar to make the seasons fit in the year again, based on the calendar of Jubian, the Roman emperor (the Julian calendar).
    Now we are a bit more intelligent, in some ways, and we managed to come to the conclusion that Jeb was actually born a bit earlier than Greb thought he was.

Delvecchio

I also heard btw, that there was no way Jebus could have been born in 1 AD/1 BC anyway, because i think that the closest Roman Census around that time was in 4BC and the next one was going to be in 4 AD, and since, as someone pointed out, Herod died in 4 BC, Jebus must have been born around then, but that's not the point just now. I just want to know, is there actually a message pronouncing the birth of Jebus?

Mikeus I have answered you twice already. Please see my post above.
    Epistolary Richard's modding Rules of Cool
    Cool modders make their mods with the :mod command line switch
    If they don't, then Cool mod-users use the Mod Enabler (JSGME)
    Cool modders use show_err
    Cool modders use the tutorials database Cool modders check out the Welcome to the Modding Forums! thread Cool modders keep backups Cool modders help each other out

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast