Thread: Disposing of the leftovers

Default Disposing of the leftovers

One of the things I enjoy most at the end of a battle is disposing of that small group of enemy soldiers left behind and lost in my middle of my army.

What I usually do is zoom in at them and order all my archers to kill them .

I love how they fall flat on their face, Ha, ha, ha, that is what they get for thinking they could kill me.

so, who do you like disposing of those leftovers.

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

Default Re: Disposing of the leftovers

This just makes me wish capturing soldiers like you can in MTW.

Selling for ransom would be cool. And there are some people who would enjoy executing prisoners. (Not me. Honest. I swear! )

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander the Pretty Good

Selling for ransom would be cool. And there are some people who would enjoy executing prisoners. (Not me. Honest. I swear! )
    That is a great idea (not that I would do it ) capture the enemy, put them against a wall and... intant training for my archers.

I think CA was originally planning on having captured enemies sold as slaves and therefore raise revenues. Of course, political correctness and all, they couldn't sell that to kiddies. That's probably also why they scrapped the slave market idea.

I generally get very bored chasing defenseless routers because there's just no sport in it; they can't ever fight back and they die on contact with your troops.

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

I think CA was originally planning on having captured enemies sold as slaves and therefore raise revenues. Of course, political correctness and all, they couldn't sell that to kiddies. That's probably also why they scrapped the slave market idea.
    And yet it will also hurt the kiddies to see a historically accurate Egypt, nevermind the constant bloodbath that are the battles...

I generally get very bored chasing defenseless routers because there's just no sport in it; they can't ever fight back and they die on contact with your troops.
    In MTW, you could lose troops to routers - the would turn and fight pursuers occasionally...

Chief Biscuit Monitor Member professorspatula's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bodidley

The dying on contact is what ruins many battles, even before the option to continue battle. As soon as a unit breaks and routs, you only have to trip them up by the ankles or flick your finger in the enemy's back to have them fall over and die. If it still took time and a successful weapon swing (or 2) to kill them when routing, the kill rate would drop, and it might make you think twice about chasing after some of the routers during a tense battle. Being able to wipe out 150 men in under 3 seconds just because of a successful rear charge routed them is silly!

I try not to chase after the routers when the victory message comes up because the AI never gets the chance to do the same to you when you lose, although admittedly, sometimes the urge to destroy some of the AI's better units is too much to resist. Especially if you can use Peasants to do the killing.
    Improving the TW Series one step at a time:

BI Extra Hordes & Unlocked Factions Mod: Available here.

let me clarify what I meant by "leftovers" with an example:

I was fighting the Greeks it was a huge battle, one of those battles that luck determined who would won, and this time it was me , after all the smoke had settled I waited for the victory screen, but it never came, I look back at my main defence line and a group of hoppies was still walking around killing my men!! (my first encounter with Spartan hoppies) all alone and refusing to scape they were on a suicidal mission!! Anyways I took the nearest horses that I could find and hit them on the back... they didn't even move, did it again... nothing , finally I cleared the area and send in my archers, after a while they finally left.. those guys really showed my Romans a good lesson on commitment!!

I just wish I could hire some Spartans as mercenaries!!

In MTW, you could lose troops to routers - the would turn and fight pursuers occasionally...
    I've seen this on occasion in RTW, but I think that it has more to do with a unit deciding to fight again, hitting a guy, seeing the guy next to them get ran over by my cavalry, and then running like hell again.

Is there a way to change your mind after you start pursuing the leftovers? Or are you stuck waiting for them to be run down or chased off the map?

I'm pretty positive that if you hit ESC and exit the battle, you're guaranteed to win if all the enemy units are routing.

Capital of the New Spartan Empire -- Sparta

I miss the capturing of enemy soliders like in MTW, & them occassionally defecting & fighting back again after you've taken them! Which did happen to me a lot; if I started to win a battle, capture a lot of enemies, & then start to lose, a lot of the capturee's would defect back to their army & fight back...

This was on key feature that SHOULD be put back in with the next patch if there is ever another one.

Also selling the capturee's after the battle for ransom, & the A.I. will sometimes not accept it, forcing you to kill them, which I love!

Also, being able to kill them during the battle I loved, which I did all the time when things got rough, & I started losing, no way the enemy was going to get their men back to fight against me, so off with their heads, etc.

I personally "always" killed them during battle, just was my thing to do, & ROME SHOULD HAVE IT.

I love chasing down the rest of the enemy. I don't care how they die, I try to kill them all. One of my campaign tactics is to wait for the enemy to attack me so I'm on the defense, and look at it as punishment for attacking me, Wiping them out.
    "What did the five fingers say to the face?"

The Sword of Rome Member Marcellus's Avatar

I like chasing down a fleeing enemy too. It's a challenge, to see if you can wipe out every last enemy soldier before they can escape off the map.
    "Look I’ve got my old pledge card a bit battered and crumpled we said we’d provide more turches churches teachers and we have I can remember when people used to say the Japanese are better than us the Germans are better than us the French are better than us well it’s great to be able to say we’re better than them I think Mr Kennedy well we all congratulate on his baby and the Tories are you remembering what I’m remembering boom and bust negative equity remember Mr Howard I mean are you thinking what I’m thinking I’m remembering it’s all a bit wonky isn’t it?"

-Wise words from John Prescott

Except in the RTW era they wouldn't be ransomed but sold into slavery, to be worked to death. Or killed out right.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Quote Originally Posted by lars573
    Except in the RTW era they wouldn't be ransomed but sold into slavery, to be worked to death. Or killed out right.
    True. Roman's didn't care about getting any ransom would rather have free labor.

It would be nice if you had the option to either capture or kill the fleeing army. Afterwards give the option to either sell the captured men or kill them. Another idea, give the captured an option to either join your army, or be sold into slavery. They could be like mercs where you can't retrain them, and the chance they revolt would be there also.
    "What did the five fingers say to the face?"

its not politically correct to sell a few prisoners into slavery but it is PC to ensalve entire cities? or even to crucify women and children after you sack their city?

Senior Member Senior Member Oaty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lars573
    Well Hannibal tried to ransom 10,000 Romans but the senate refused the offer and any family members trying to ransom back therefamily member would be persecuted.

Ransom always did exist just not commonly exercised until around the 10th to 13th century or so.
    When a fox kills your chickens, do you kill the pigs for seeing what happened? No you go out and hunt the fox.
    Cry havoc and let slip the HOGS of war

robotica erotica Member Colovion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oaty
    Well Hannibal tried to ransom 10,000 Romans but the senate refused the offer and any family members trying to ransom back therefamily member would be persecuted.

Ransom always did exist just not commonly exercised until around the 10th to 13th century or so.
    Yeah between larger gov'ts you would find ransoming in effect (like the stated example) but the Middle Ages was the time period when the most records depict ransoming becoming widespread. Kings, Nobles and Barons have a lot of gold; and people knew that and would try to get all they could out of them before returning them. Ordinary soldiers would probably only have been considered "Ransomable" if their leadership was respected enough.
    robotica erotica

Send in the dogs!
    Its not flooding if you have something good to say.