Thread: New to the game need help getting more Koku

I've only had it a few days and i'm doing ok, but i think i've put too many things like building and training in the queue after playing it for a while, as i'm out of cash. What's the best strategy for raising cash, as i just keep rising and falling while in the minuses at the moment. I don't want no cheats by the way, just expert tips. Thanks peeps.

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

You need to attack some high koku provinces.
    This will clear some overhead,some of your warriors will die which will lessen your maintenance costs you pay every year for the warriors you have now and add koku to your purse with the captured province.Right click your mouse on the provinces on your border and they're koku production will be shown.Pick out the best one you think you can hold and ATTACK.
    Tito
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

Yo thanks man, sounds good i'll try that, as i'm getting killed at the moment.

Thanks man, i'll try that as i'm getting killed at the moment.

Senior Member Senior Member The Black Ship's Avatar

Of course you can do it the hard way too....build infrastructure and upgrage your farmlands. Concentrate your farm upgrades on provinces with greater than 350 koku per year (arbitrary figure, but I find anything less is a poor return on investment...takes too long to recoup).

Always build mines.

Build as many Ports as you can afford. Upgrade with a trading post (Portuguese or Dutch) and you double your annual return.

Make alliances early, who cares if they last and you just might get lucky and get free lands when Hojo starts it's inexerable climb to dominance in the East.

That's a good start, should provide you with enough to beat the AI if you're a half good warior.
    All we are saying....is give peas a chance - Jolly Green Giant

karoshi Senior Member solypsist's Avatar

you could also just cheat and play until you feel confident enough (and have seen eveyr structure/unit combo to satisfy your curiosity) to return to playing the game normally.

simple rule is if your short on cash, your obviously not conquering new provinces.....so get to it!

Economic upgrades in approximate order of value:

Gold Mine
    Silver mine
    Copper Mine
    Farmland Improvements on provinces with a base value greater than 250K
    Ports

Note: Mines and Ports are not affected by variations in harvest so income is more reliable.
    Didz
    Fortis balore et armis

In the early game you have to expand your lands and build mines everywhere you can.
    Choose carefully the attack season, keep in mind the men of units build up in autumn/winter/spring and killed in winter/spring/summer have no maintenance cost.
    You can later improve the farm production in those provinces with high koku base, this will allow you the maintenance of big armies and build infrastructure.

It will also depend on which clan you start off as. Hojo has a big advantage in that castles are cheap. They also start off with some fairly profitable provinces. Others, like Mori, give you bonuses with certain unit types, but their provinces are all very poor farms. Mori NEEDS to start taking lands quickly. Find out where you get your bonuses and concentrate in that direction for best bang-for-buck. Also definitely build the farmland improvements in provinces with MORE than 200-250 koku. Any less than that, and it's almost not worth the koku and effort.

-- B)