Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Considering getting a new game...

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

Default Considering getting a new game...

The last game i got was Tribes: Vengeance in December, and that proved to be a complete dissapointment, so i haven't touched it since then. For the last one and half years or so, i've played the same games over and over again, and i'm starting to get bored, so i was wondering if you guys could tell me any good games i might like. For a rough description of the games i like, hear are the games i have currently installed:

Tribes 2
    Black and White
    RTW
    MTW
    Return to Castle Wolfenstein
    Unreal II
    Grand Theft Auto 2
    Lego Star Wars
    Transport Giant
    Age of Empires (1 and 2)
    Empire Earth
    Aliens v Predator 2
    Sim City 4 (i'm going to buy this with whichever game you people recommend)

So, now you know what games i have and like, can you suggest any new games i might like?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

Ricardus Insanusaum Member Bob the Insane's Avatar

Default Re: Considering getting a new game...

Well I saw your response in the GTA:SA thread so I will not suggest that...

Band of Brothers is pretty good. As good a WW2 shooter as any other with the bonus of commandinf other soldiers. Not particularly detailed but fast, frantic and fun... Plus the added empahsis that everything you do is somewhat based on what happened to the real deal airborne troops during the D-Day landings...

HL2 is a blast too...

Have you tried the Battlefield 2 demo? It is fun, but I really liked Battlefield Vietnam so it follows that I would like BF2...

Nexus: The Jupiter Incident is a fun space blast, very pretty somewaht challenging, very good in the begining but gets a bit silly towards the end. Perspective and controls are not unlike Homeworld.

I bought Stronghold 2 a couple of weeks ago, it is a lot of fun but is full of bugs. I would wait for the 1.3 patch before picking it up if I was you...

The lastest version of Pirates is a lot of fun too. Gfx remind me of a more strategic version of Monkey Island. A great way to while away a few hours. Can get repetitive after a time though...

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

try the newest GTA , GTA san andreas. I have it , it is huge ... so that will certainly keep you busy for a while.
    also you can try one of the Call of Duty games ( or other WW2 shooters like MOH ) -since you have RTCW.

Also you are buying Sim City 4. I was gonna recommend that game too.

I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

The lastest version of Pirates is a lot of fun too. Gfx remind me of a more strategic version of Monkey Island. A great way to while away a few hours. Can get repetitive after a time though...
    Don't worry, i'm used to repetition. On Tribes 2, we have been playing the same damn map for 2 years. And consider the fact that i play Tribes nearly every day, that's a lot of repetitive play...i've thought about Band of Brothers, but WWII games that actually try to be historically accurate. I prefer games which allow you to blow Nazi StormTroopers and hordes of undeed zombies over the horizon with a giant laser beam. Anyway, i have to go, my computer's making funny noises.
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch_guy
    also you can try one of the Call of Duty games ( or other WW2 shooters like MOH ) -since you have RTCW.
    MOHAA and it`s expansions is in my opinion the best WW2 FPS ever.
    It`s some arcade, but there`s no lasers(and I don`t miss them), and the games` getting old.

Perhaps Settlers V is something?
    Last edited by Viking; 06-17-2005 at 21:46.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

I once borrowed settlers IV off a friend, and that was utterly amazing. I love games with a lot of micromanagement in, as long as it isn't tedious micromanagement. Only problem is, settlers IV refuses to work with either of my two computers now, but i am considering Settlers V. It's just a shame they got rid of the funny cartoony look...the cartoony look was nice.

I've been wasting my time on Battlefield 2 for the last few days. The release date is coming up soon, so i strongly suggest you get it. But if your pc isn't up to scratch, you'll probably have to run it on the lowest settings (i do, and it's no big deal anyway).

I also recommend HL2, but i finished it quickly and it kind of got old...
    That said, there are a number of mods floating about.
    "Strangers passing in the street, by chance two separate glances meet, and i am you and what i see is me"

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

On Tribes 2, we have been playing the same damn map for 2 years.
    Let me guess: Katabatic?

Anways, I'd recommend CoD too. It's great fun, though a bit short. And there's a great (though not widely played) mod called www.heatofbattle.net (think DoD)

HL2 is also fun (nothing like killing another player with a toilet!).

Have you tried Mount and Blade? It's real good.

Crazed Rabbit
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

That's an impressive warning level mia muca!

Why not try some of the old classics? Try Deus ex, it so cheap nowadays!

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

Get a flightsim!

IL2-Forgotten Battles is the best WWII flightsim. The replay value is nearly infinite and the action is great.
    Unto each good man a good dog

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed Rabbit
    Let me guess: Katabatic?
    I take it occasionally play T2 as well? Are you a frequent player? btw, i went into town and got Sim City 4 today (bargain basement price, £9.99) and will get another main game to accompany it soon. As for Flight Sims, i don't really like them, and if i ever want to fly, i just pull Crimson Skies out of my box of old games.

English Nationalist Member GonZ's Avatar

You have to play Mount&Blade! Download the demo from here: http://www.taleworlds.com/ superb fun. Better still the ful game comes in around £7!!!

Sorry, i can't play games like that. I'm a bit paranoid that if i play Internet games like the one you mentioned above, i'll somehow break the service limit for my Broadband connection. Although, how i'll ever completely use up a 20GB service limit in a month is beyond me. Heck, at my house, we prolly only use up about 20GB a year.

You could try Painkiller. It has the "killing hordes of undead" stuff and is very well-made. Great variety, huge levels, excellent textures, cool enemies, terrible cutscenes, Havok physics, and on and on. You can get it for cheap, usually $20.00. In terms of sheer value, it is a great bargain.

It is a guilty little pleasure.
    Last edited by Kongamato; 06-18-2005 at 18:44.
    "Never in physical action had I discovered the chilling satisfaction of words. Never in words had I experienced the hot darkness of action. Somewhere there must be a higher principle which reconciles art and action. That principle, it occurred to me, was death." -Yukio Mishima

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kongamato
    You could try Painkiller.
    Oh yes. Painkiller is AWESOME. It is really fun if you just want to cause a whole lot of bloody death. And every level you are treated with a very flashy bossfight that rival the metroid prime series in sheer coolness. These things are big!

HL2 is good. Why not get the expansion pack to Sim City 4, its pretty good.
    "How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin." -Ronald Reagan

"It's somewhat ironic that closing spam threads increases my postcount"
    -Ser Clegane

Bored Avid Gamer Member Alrowan's Avatar
    Sydney, Australia... that place down under...

if you like world domination, or risk style strat games, i suggest Victoria, Europa Universalis 2, Hearts of Iron 2, or Crusader Kings, all games are made by the same company, who really are the kings of world domination grand strategy games. www.paradoxplaza.com is the website, very good games, as many here will agree
    Llew Cadeyrn/Alrowan - Chieftain of Clan Raven

Weird Organism Senior Member Drisos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeus Caesar
    I once borrowed settlers IV off a friend.
    Me too. It was fun.

I do recommend buying settlers V, though I don't play anything but STW anymore these days.

have fun playing.
    - Chu - Gi - Makoto - Rei - Jin - Yu - Meiyo -

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

Tribes 2
    Black and White
    RTW
    MTW
    Return to Castle Wolfenstein
    Unreal II
    Grand Theft Auto 2
    Lego Star Wars
    Transport Giant
    Age of Empires (1 and 2)
    Empire Earth
    Aliens v Predator 2
    Sim City 4 (i'm going to buy this with whichever game you people recommend)
    I see a good number of FPS games, but no Operation Flashpoint. This makes me sadf :(

Hey Kek, good to see you! How's army life?

I like Op Flash, I might get Op Flash 2, but at the moment, I'm satisfied with America's army.

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craterus
    Hey Kek, good to see you! How's army life?

I like Op Flash, I might get Op Flash 2, but at the moment, I'm satisfied with America's army.
    Apparently they didnt want someone with Exercise-Induced Asthma (despite the fact I can run two miles), so I spent three weeks in Reception Battalion waiting for a discharge.

Boondock Saint Senior Member The Blind King of Bohemia's Avatar

Get a playstation 2 and get newest Pro Evolution Soccer. It is pure class and the best footie game made to date.

Quote Originally Posted by GonZ
    You have to play Mount&Blade! Download the demo from here: http://www.taleworlds.com/ superb fun. Better still the ful game comes in around £7!!!
    Yep, it's pretty much what have to try. Play as horsearcher! You can switch from Bow/Arrow to Shield/Sword back and forth during battles.

I have Sim City 4 Deluxe and I won't recommend it since it is practically broke. The only thing going for it is graphics which is a bit old by now. City to City pathfinding is absolutely broke. You have to design your highways real well so that your citizens will use them ( the majority will still go to the roads ).

Plus there is a solid cap on wealth distributions in the city. Also, once you've built a commercial site, it would be extremely tough to expand to other peripheries. I'll post my city soon. The trash system is bad as well.

I'll post a screenie of my city in a bit.

edit: Here's my city of Yayfungus. ~:D

This is the main city. There's a lot more cities in the periphery. If you look, it's difficult to develop other parts of the city since there's little traffic. Why? Pathfinding within the city is broke itself. City to city transportation is even more broke.
    Last edited by Quietus; 06-21-2005 at 04:16.

Let me see.

Homeworld 2
    Anno 1503
    Silent Hunter 3 (now THERE is micro-management)
    Pirates
    Republic the Revolution
    Dawn of War 40K
    RTW
    MTW
    STW
    Caesar 3
    Black and White
    Championship Manager 03/04
    Evil Genius

Those are my favourites but i have many that i install and un-install in the same day(like Imperial Glory) and many more not even out of their wrappers like Half-Life 2 and Ground Control 2.The TW series has just taken up most of my free gaming time since they arrived on the scene.All hail
    "Go tell the Spartans,stranger passing by that here,obedient to their laws we lie."

The Lord of Chaos Member ChaosLord's Avatar

Sorry, i can't play games like that. I'm a bit paranoid that if i play Internet games like the one you mentioned above, i'll somehow break the service limit for my Broadband connection. Although, how i'll ever completely use up a 20GB service limit in a month is beyond me. Heck, at my house, we prolly only use up about 20GB a year.

Mikeus, the game isn't played online. You just can't find it in stores yet so you have to dl it. The download is only something like 35mb so theres no way you'd come close to your 20gb limit getting it. You probably do more then that just with normal web surfing/gaming in a day. Mount & Blade really is worth a try.
    "Every good communist should know political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao tse-Tung

Quote Originally Posted by Quietus
    Yep, it's pretty much what have to try. Play as horsearcher! You can switch from Bow/Arrow to Shield/Sword back and forth during battles.

I have Sim City 4 Deluxe and I won't recommend it since it is practically broke. The only thing going for it is graphics which is a bit old by now. City to City pathfinding is absolutely broke. You have to design your highways real well so that your citizens will use them ( the majority will still go to the roads ).

Plus there is a solid cap on wealth distributions in the city. Also, once you've built a commercial site, it would be extremely tough to expand to other peripheries. I'll post my city soon. The trash system is bad as well.

I'll post a screenie of my city in a bit.

edit: Here's my city of Yayfungus. ~:D

This is the main city. There's a lot more cities in the periphery. If you look, it's difficult to develop other parts of the city since there's little traffic. Why? Pathfinding within the city is broke itself. City to city transportation is even more broke.
    You appear to have a Motorway. Do you happen to know how to build Cloverleaf junctions for the motorway? I don't have a clue. And pathfinding in the city doesn't appear to be broken. Works fine for me. And city-to-city transportation works fine, and is quite handy, as dumping my sims on a train to a nearby city takes alot of pressure off the city roads. I take it though that it's only broken in SC4 Deluxe, because i have the original, and it works fine. And the Graphics aren't that dated. Compared to even the best games out there, the graphics are amazing, and so is the attention to detail. It may be over a year old, but the graphics will satisfy most graphics whores.

You appear to have a Motorway. Do you happen to know how to build Cloverleaf junctions for the motorway? I don't have a clue. And pathfinding in the city doesn't appear to be broken. Works fine for me. And city-to-city transportation works fine, and is quite handy, as dumping my sims on a train to a nearby city takes alot of pressure off the city roads. I take it though that it's only broken in SC4 Deluxe, because i have the original, and it works fine. And the Graphics aren't that dated. Compared to even the best games out there, the graphics are amazing, and so is the attention to detail. It may be over a year old, but the graphics will satisfy most graphics whores.
    SC4 Deluxe is the original game with the Rush Hour expansion pack. There's a lot that's not in the original.

You just need to plop down the cloverleaf next to the highway and the you will get an overlapping image, meaning it is good to go.

The cloverleaf is huge (takes up alot of space along with the highway) and it is aesthetically bad-looking that's why I don't use them. So, when you start a city you have to have the cloverleaf in mind from the get-go or else you'll be destroying lots of structures later on.

I use a lot of bus stops and commuters go from City A to City B to City C to City D just to get to City A destination then they complain the commute is too long. Also a couple of blocks commute is also long to the Sims and they abandon the buildings because of that.

I don't want to ruin your experience, because you are having fun, so I'm gonna stop there. But there's a lot of 'design flaws' in the game (kinda like RTW diplomacy).

It's fun to drive around your built-up city though.

Lastly, go for the high tech industries. Avoid the Dirty and Manufacturing industries.

edit: My bad. Driving around your city is limited to the expansion pack.
    Last edited by Quietus; 06-23-2005 at 04:31.

Lastly, go for the high tech industries. Avoid the Dirty and Manufacturing industries.
    I did that right from the start. I boosted up education funding to max, and then built an industrial sector. Any dirt/manufacturing industry was instantly destroyed, until eventually my sims got clever and started building high tech. It also helps to put taxes for low and medium wealth industry up to about 15% and putting taxes for high wealth industry down to 1%, so it attracts High Tech. Btw, i got my first skyscraper last night! It's a large high wealth Residential, called The Hogan. It's huge.

Heheh, look, here is my pride and joy - Pert County!

The date is 2015 and population is (i think) 32000. As you can see, the first few skyscrapers are popping up, and if you look in the top corner, you can see the High Tech industry. To the west is the large city of Jipian (population 13000) which is connected to Pert by rail and road. To the east is the city of Riverton (population 25000) which is yet to be connected to Pert, but has some impressive bridges going across the River Tithel. I'll post a picture of my entire map later, it's quite impressive.

My city has a pop. of 292,000. Ill post pics later if I can find them.
    "How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin." -Ronald Reagan

"It's somewhat ironic that closing spam threads increases my postcount"
    -Ser Clegane

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast