Thread: Post your RTW campaign "rules" stuff here!

[Insertwittytitlehere] Member Copperhaired Berserker!'s Avatar

Default Post your RTW campaign "rules" stuff here!

Now with people complaining about how easy the AI is to defeat, and people now make rules like "City State" campaign and that kind of stuff, I thought about keeping those things in one thread. Please keep the ORG nice and tidy!

-Thy Berserker!
    Last edited by Copperhaired Berserker!; 06-17-2005 at 22:25.

If I was smart, I would have a witty punchline in this sig that would make everyone ROTFL.

I'm not smart.

Default Re: RTW strategys, post here!

Battle strategies or campaign strategies? Sorry, it wasn't very clear.

To keep this thread tidy, I'll edit in my favourite strategies.

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

here are my campaign rules

1. don't use more than 1 standing army. (i modded most units to 0 buildtime, and i call when i need them)
    2. don't attack unless attacked (this rule can be ignored in the first 10-15 years)
    3. keep my armies balanced (not too much elite units in one army)
    4. with most factions, i stick to historic borders
    5. never withdraw a fight (when you've only 2 units or less and have to fight to much this rule can be ignored)

city state rules

1. choose a faction and abandon all it's provinces but one.
    2. oyu're not allowed to conquer another city. so choose your ground well.

tips for city states
    1. don't make your army expensive
    2. choose a rich province
    3. don't adopt, don't keep more than 4 members
    4. don't make to much war.

Tips for playing with Rebels

1. choose the provinces you want to keep and fortify those, cuz you never can hold all
    2. conquer provinces from Carthage, Romans, Greeks, And eastern factions, cuz these culture cities are the only cities you can recruit units in.
    3. navies are only for battles, you can't land units with it, cuz the game will crash
    4. you'll run out of money fast, so looting is yuor primary money source.
    5 you won;t be able to train more units than some basics. combine your culture advantage to creat mixed armies (from every culture the best) and use mother nature as your ally. the AI sucks a bridge battles. when holding a bridges, archers are the key to succes.
    6. in RTR you have 9 eles in the east, use these well. also you have the ability to train amazons (after modding them in the export_descr_building.txt to be trained by the greek factions)

empire imitation rules

1. choose a faction
    2. choose an empire (that's not th same as the choose faction, so when you choose julii, you don't choose the roman empire but for example, Alexanders empire)
    3. with your faction your going to imitate that empire as best as possible. you win when you've achived that

THE EMPEROR, ask me for questions, tips or suggestions

We do not sow.

Merkismathr of Birka Member PseRamesses's Avatar
    Birka town in Svitjod. Realm of the Rus and the midnight sun.

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Umeu 1
    here are my campaign rules

1. don't use more than 1 standing army. (i modded most units to 0 buildtime, and i call when i need them)
    2. don't attack unless attacked (this rule can be ignored in the first 10-15 years)
    3. keep my armies balanced (not too much elite units in one army)
    4. with most factions, i stick to historic borders
    5. never withdraw a fight (when you've only 2 units or less and have to fight to much this rule can be ignored)

city state rules

1. choose a faction and abandon all it's provinces but one.
    2. oyu're not allowed to conquer another city. so choose your ground well.

tips for city states
    1. don't make your army expensive
    2. choose a rich province
    3. don't adopt, don't keep more than 4 members
    4. don't make to much war.

Tips for playing with Rebels

1. choose the provinces you want to keep and fortify those, cuz you never can hold all
    2. conquer provinces from Carthage, Romans, Greeks, And eastern factions, cuz these culture cities are the only cities you can recruit units in.
    3. navies are only for battles, you can't land units with it, cuz the game will crash
    4. you'll run out of money fast, so looting is yuor primary money source.
    5 you won;t be able to train more units than some basics. combine your culture advantage to creat mixed armies (from every culture the best) and use mother nature as your ally. the AI sucks a bridge battles. when holding a bridges, archers are the key to succes.
    6. in RTR you have 9 eles in the east, use these well. also you have the ability to train amazons (after modding them in the export_descr_building.txt to be trained by the greek factions)

empire imitation rules

1. choose a faction
    2. choose an empire (that's not th same as the choose faction, so when you choose julii, you don't choose the roman empire but for example, Alexanders empire)
    3. with your faction your going to imitate that empire as best as possible. you win when you've achived that

THE EMPEROR, ask me for questions, tips or suggestions
    Hear, hear! Have you copied my agenda Umeu?
    I also like to roleplay my commanders according to their traits and vices: a gatebreaker is the first one through the gates, cruelly scarred is always in the midst of the battle, brave is always attacking stronger or equal units, a harsh ruler is unforgiving against rellioyus cities and sets max taxes etc etc.

Capital of the New Spartan Empire -- Sparta

Default Re: Post your RTW campaign "rules" stuff here!

My rules? I typically dont attack unless attacked.

I craft special armies for whatever I'd like to do.

Take whatever islands I want to spread my power around, but not much land conquering.

If an enemy sacq's one of my cities, enslaves or mass slaughters my citizens, I build many troops, & decare all out War upon their faction, as I did with Egypt once after they took one of my largest cities, after which I slaughtered over 100,000 of their citiezens (spelling?) & over 10,000 of their soliders in "Large" setting.

If an enemy I grow to hate, & I take a city, I slaughter their citizens, no need to have what you hate serving your own citizens as slaves.

Occassionally in my many Diplomatic schemes, if they laugh at me after my "accept or we will attack", then they insult me, concementing their destruction of that city, annihilation of the army that they have there, & the mass slaughter of their citizens, all to prove a point, which the AI never seems to learn...

Other things... oh, if there is a rebel army near, I dont waste soliders dealing with them, so I'll use archers typically only in massacaring them, once they run, I mow them over with light calvery... its the way of my world lol!

In MTW I used to do the Byzantine "Island" Campaign, where I keept Constantinople and conquered only islands like Rhodes, Crete, Sicilia, etc.

Might try that in this game,

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

My rules for a campaign are take out Rome and Egypt (they are so unrealistic and get rid of all the cool civilisations) as quick as possible, then don't attack anyone until only one country is left. Then, declare war on them for the ultimate showdown!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.