Thread: Khan7\'s ACW Mod for STW v1.0 Released!

Now you can recreate great battles of the mid-18th century, with my new American Civil War Mod! I have strived in this effort to make it as historical a simulation as possible, and for Civil War fans like me, or people just looking for a change of pace in their Total War, it promises to be quite a treat!

This very well may at some point be posted for download on the Org, but until such a point, just e-mail me at gengiskan0@cs.com for your free copy!

And if you haven't gotten my Archive on Modding yet, I recommend you check it out! It is covered in another thread.

------------------
    Khan7

Hmm... can we say, "shameless self promotion"?

------------------
    "You have offended my family, and you have offended a Shaolin temple."
    "You have offended my family, and you have offended a Shaolin temple."

Well, if it weren't as good as I say it is, I could not in good conscience so shamelessly promote myself! For real, I don't brag unless I've got something to back it up.. but u do have a point lol

------------------
    Khan7

errr..would you like to describe what you did ? total mod with new strategic map and battle maps, and hacked the unit graphics? partial mod? changed only the unit stats for guns?

let's see it

------------------
    ''I know what I believe. I will continue to articulate what I believe and what I believe—I believe what I believe is right." geowge W —Rome, July 22, 2001

Changed unit stats, gun stats, much in-game text, and made a unique campaign, but didn't (and couldn't have) changed the map at all. The campaign is "Sengoku Jidai - 1870", to give you an idea, and I personally think it is very interesting. But for real I'm not going to have much time to spend in these forums for a while so it would be easier that if you want to see what I've done just get me to send it to you. I do have things to do in real life :-)

But I may at some later date get around to detailing more the changes I made.. still gonna be simpler to come and see for yourself..

------------------
    Khan7

Senior Member Senior Member Erado San's Avatar

So, do you also explain what people have to do to change back to the original game when they have finished your mod?

This is the danger with these situations. They load your mod, their original files are changed because they did not see a list of files they need to backup first, and in the documentation of the mod they don't find a list of files to put back.

Khan, did you include these details in your mod?
    A voice from the past is heard in the lands...

Erado-San-- you both UNDERestimate the quality I put into my work, and OVERestimate the technical complexity I am capable of.

First of all, in order to get the mod working they pretty much have to manually put the files in the right places themselves. No big deal IMO, takes just a few minutes, but there is no automation involved, I currently lack programming knowledge of this kind.

Second of all, I strive to document all my work as fully and make it as user-friendly as possible.

So basically, if it hadn't been necessary to do what you have described, I would've done it out of pride for quality.

------------------
    Khan7

okokokokokokokoko nice work but dont put more msgs if it is not an emergency!

------------------
    "It's better to let the enemy alive as to kill it ... To TORTURE it!"
    It's better to let the enemy alive as to kill it ... To TORTURE it

I don't under/overestimate anything. I am just asking if you included theae details in your mod, so people can revert back to original without reinstalling. I think it's a policy the modding mob should stick to. And people who load mods should understand that they do that at their own risk.

sorry - this post was 'wrong'

[This message has been edited by Whitey (edited 08-29-2001).]
    Have you seen the fnords?

Well, I have no problem making a *small* apology here, as anything mildly offensive in my above post was just-- drama. Frankly I just thought I'd be a bit dramatic for fun, and if you think about it in this light you'll probably feel better about it.

------------------
    Khan7

Where the heck did anybody get the idea I am complaining about Khan?

I am just saying that when you make a mod you should also include details about how to revert back to the original game. Before we get all sorts of questions about it in the Tech Forum. If you change stats files, graphics or whatever, then the people loading a mod can't play the normal game without reinstalling it, or by saving the original data before loading the mod. This is not a complaint.

The best mods have installer options which backup the original files for you. Until then, the safest way to go is install the game twice. Once where you leave everything as it is and once where you apply the mods.

sorry erado - yust that its difficult not to complain if it is directed at yourself sometimes...my fault, post 'remoed'
    Have you seen the fnords?

Well, if one of the programming gurus would like to give me a hand here, or if my C++ course this year pays off, an installer would be very ideal :-P

------------------
    Khan7