Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Imperial Glory: AKA TW Wannabe

Default Imperial Glory: AKA TW Wannabe

I just went out and purchased Imperial Glory. Been playing it for a few nights so I can get a solid "feel": You know, thumbs up or down. Kill or live, right?

So here is my little review:

First of all, the only quote on the box is:

"The detail is enough to make an avowed history junkie go all soggy-eyed"-Yahoo Games Domain

Wow. That is retarded. Yahoo Games Domain also says:

"Undeniably inspired by Creative Assembly's series of Total War historical strategy-tactics games, Imperial Glory captures the period well and shows plenty of promise, but it's let down by a handful of flaws."

I am not going to continue with the TW references because this article is chock full of 'em. Find the Yahoo review yourself at:
    http://gamesdomain.yahoo.com/pc/impe.../review/118678

Personally, I prefer this GameSpot comment: "Imperial Glory is a game that wants to be the next Total War." Further, GameSpot says, "However, in copying the formula of Total War, Pyro Studios, the designers of Imperial Glory, have missed the small nuances and details that made the Total War games, in particular Medieval and Rome, something special."

Read the review at: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/...ry/review.html

I am not going any further then that. Why? Because any game reviewer worth his salt is going to make the comparison between IG and TW.

Instead, I will compare them myself:

In a recent thread (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=48921), I predicted that the next TW game would have to cover the imperial period. In fact, I suggested that it has been in the making, but I have no information to support my assumption. I was drooling over the very idea. So when I saw Imperial Glory, I thought GREAT! I don't have to wait after all!

I was wrong and retarded.

For all you TW NAYSAYERS who bitch about RTW, I suggest that you purchase IG. You will then see how a developer can really screw up a game of this type. That's right, you heard me you punks. IG gave me a newfound respect for the attention to detail and hard work of CA. IG is a second hand rip off. A disgusting failure. A miserable disappointment. So here are the details:

Background-
    Obviously imperial europe. The world is changing, industrial revolution, guns, blah blah. You know the deal. Cool period.

Game Basics-
    It is identical to MTW in THEORY ONLY. Turn based strategy with real time battles. The map is just like MTW, in so much as that you can only move one province at a time. Only it really feels like less than that at times.

Strategic map:
    Yay! MTW style map! Same map of mediteranian europe and everything. What? North Africa you say? How Unique (cough) not. Same damn map. identical. No difference. Oh and did I mention that you can only choose from FIVE factions? Yay. I feel like a hamburger, no make that a cheeseburger, never mind, how about a veggie burger? THEY ARE ALL THE SAME! Almost no difference at all. Same troops, different names. Bite me.

Battle map-
    YYYYYAGAGAGAGHAHGAGHAHHHHHAHRRRRRRRRRRGHGHHR!!!!!!!!

A nightmare from hell!!!!!!!!! Remember the RTW bug where your troops get all confused and it was a pain getting them to go wherre you want?! Multiply that by TEN, no A HUNDRED!

Please allow me to elaborate so that you may understand the nightmare for yourself. Imagine this: You take the time to organize your formations and group your men, so that you may easily reorganize your men in the heat of battle. Then you get into battle, select the group, and try to place them elsewhere (using a similar directional interface). But guess what? They duplicate whatever formation they are now in! All of your little planning was a waste of time! HAHAHAHA! And even worse: You can't handily press a button and see where they will end up. No, you get a little flag, but only if you press the specific group number. And it doesn't matter, BECAUSE THEY ROTATE OUT OF FORMATION AGAINST YOUR WILL ALL THE FREAKING TIME. As soon as an enemy passes by, they turn and face the enemy, no matter what is coming down the line later. Flanking movement? Great. One damn troop runs by and all the little guys turn and face him. What is worse? There is no formation maintained in battle! You and the enemy just consolidate into a blob. So forget about having actual battle lines. It is pointless. Oh and one more thing. There is no "battle speed slider". So everything takes forever. And there is no morale so everyone fights to the death. Which mean you have to keep going. In slow motion.

Graphics-
    Inferior to RTW in everyway. Except for one thing. The 60 man units (you do not get to choose unit size) have like, different faces, and different colors and stuff. Kinda cool. Except there is a problem. The graphics suck cheese anyway so it makes no difference at all!

Naval Combat-
    It has naval combat but it is slow and retarded.

Difficulty-
    Who cares.

Diplomacy-
    I will admit. This is better than TW. Sorry but it is. More options, a little more solid. Defensive alliances and coalitions actually don't get violated. Getting your way is still tough, but not like the "always no" or "yes, but it means nothing" diplomacy of TW. Trade is more comprehensive too. Trade routes are defined clearly and all are directly affected by war. Also, you don't have to kill to take over a country. They have a "sympathy" rating, which, when it gets high enough, gives you the country (or so it says, I haven't had the patience to wait). The diplomact is the only worthwhile item in the game.

Soundtrack-
    Do you like the smell of poo? No really. Do you like having your senses assualted by something foul and intrusive? I actually have to turn this music off. "Hi. I am a customer. Can you insult my intelligence, please?" This period has some of the greatest classic composers in the history of the world. Beautiful and powerful music that would just be sweet during a great battle. But do you get to hear any of it? NOPE. It would be awesome and totally appropriate to thrown in some bach, mozart, mendleson (I know spelled wrong). What the hell is wrong with these people. Damn. But you know what? Crap music for a crap game.

Bottom line-

This game is a retarded TW wannabe. Buy it only to fall in love with TW again.

*******The MOst important part of this whole review*******
    My Comment to CA: I humbly ask that you do this time period with the justice it deserves. Just do what you do best. I know it will kick arse. Just expand the map in the process please. (what? I can make some demand right? I just kissed your arse, like, hard.) Please. No really. Please? Make this game. I am on my knees. Wait, better yet, my woman is on HER knees...

*wife yells in the background*

I welcome the comments of this enlightened community.

Divinus Arma
    Last edited by Divinus Arma; 06-19-2005 at 08:02.
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    The Backroom is the Crackroom.

Default Re: Imperial Glory: AKA TW Wannabe

I have to agree with Divinus Arma on a couple of things.

The battles are rubbish, they are truely terrible. You don't actually get access to alot of the formations until you have researched the sciences to make them, and even then only some units can adopt the advanced formations. The square is very amusing to form however.

Fortifying buildings in this should be brilliant, but falls very short as they don't really seem to get any benefit from doing it.

The only tactic that seems to count is how many units you can put on the field at the one time. 120 militia will rip apart 60 grenadiers most of the time even if they are meant to be elite.

The units are severly restricted and the factions share the same troop types. Think there are only 5 or 6 nation specific troops in the whole game.

The speed slider is an essential why haven't they got it.

The diplomcay section is very good in my opinion.

I'd have to disagree with Divinus Arma on a few things though.

I thought the naval battles were awesome. This is much better than the total war series where they are not interactive. Reminds me of the old games workshop game Man o War. I'd love to see something like this in total war. I play custom games and you can really get proper naval tactics going with a few big ships.

In summary I'd like to have the naval battles (maybe improved upon) and diplomacy from Imperial glory in a Total War game.
    I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.

RTW is better than IG, but IG isn't as bad as this guy is making out.

We all agree the battles are no where near as good as in RTW, and not being able to speed up battles is so annoying. But i can only assume Divinus hasn't really tried to control his battles becasue i have had no big problems after a little practice.

Diplomacy fans will love IG

Anyone sick of autoresolving all naval battles will like IG

But the creators of IG definately saw MTW and though oh, what a good idea!

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

Soundtrack-
    Do you like the smell of poo? No really. Do you like having your senses assualted by something foul and intrusive? I actually have to turn this music off. "Hi. I am a customer. Can you insult my intelligence, please?" This period has some of the greatest classic composers in the history of the world. Beautiful and powerful music that would just be sweet during a great battle. But do you get to hear any of it? NOPE. It would be awesome and totally appropriate to thrown in some bach, mozart, mendleson (I know spelled wrong). What the hell is wrong with these people. Damn. But you know what? Crap music for a crap game.
    That bit made me laugh a bit, but because i have a cold all the snot came out my nose and went all over my lap...damn you, Divinus!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

ahhahahahaha, that made my laugh, i spilled al my coke over my cloaths. damn you mikeus damn you

We do not sow.

robotica erotica Member Colovion's Avatar

sounds like IG is as bad compared to RTW as RTW is compared to MTW
    robotica erotica

It's really too bad the battles are awful...the games looks pretty good other wise.

you heard me you punks

Who are you talking about? So any one who is not a fanboy is a punk?
    Last edited by Mongoose; 06-19-2005 at 19:35.

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

Might i just point out, the battles have all the personality of a paper cup. You don't feel like there's any point to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

This belongs in the Arena

Kanto Kanrei Member Marshal Murat's Avatar

I was reading review in Military Heritage.
    It said, battle was great, diplomacy great, and naval battles suck.
    Ships can form into lines, but they end up getting crunched together. I also read that
    "IG will have Total War fans drooling", and after this I say
    "IG diplomacy will have Total War fans drooling"
    "Nietzsche is dead" - God

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

Re: Pursuit of happiness
    Have you just been dumped?

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

Thx for the review Divinus. Have you tried Mount & Blade? There is a huge thread in the Arena. TaleWorlds

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Cube
    uh-huh.. A shame. You're missing out. It needs some work, but it beats Vanilla RTW (and most mods) hands down, IMO.
    Nope. You are wrong. Yargh. I own IG and am still playing it through to the end. I am getting my $50 worth damnitt. Grawlyrgh.
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Mahrabals apprentice
    RTW is better than IG, but IG isn't as bad as this guy is making out.

We all agree the battles are no where near as good as in RTW, and not being able to speed up battles is so annoying. But i can only assume Divinus hasn't really tried to control his battles becasue i have had no big problems after a little practice.

Diplomacy fans will love IG

Anyone sick of autoresolving all naval battles will like IG

But the creators of IG definately saw MTW and though oh, what a good idea!
    this guy
    "This guy"?

You have my permission to address me directly oh lowly one. Grryargh. Lrg

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeus Caesar
    That bit made me laugh a bit, but because i have a cold all the snot came out my nose and went all over my lap...damn you, Divinus!!
    No. Damn YOU.

I recommend that menthol crap you can smear on yourself. You'll be up 'n' at 'em in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by mongoose
    Who are you talking about? So any one who is not a fanboy is a punk?
    You said it, not me. I prefer to address dissent, i.e. "bitching", as I see it. It is just a colorful way of stating my newfound respect for the achievement of CA. If you think that the world is black & white, or "fanboy" vs. punks, fine.

I am merely addressing those who do nothing but bitch. I have my little moans and whines too.

Quote Originally Posted by kekvitirae
    This belongs in the Arena
    Thank you for moving my post, Army. It would have passed to the doldrums anyway, you know.

How's the guard? You sign up yet? grahl.

Quote Originally Posted by Quietus
    Thx for the review Divinus. Have you tried Mount & Blade? There is a huge thread in the Arena. TaleWorlds
    I have not yet heard of this Q. I will stay tuned.

Bored Avid Gamer Member Alrowan's Avatar
    Sydney, Australia... that place down under...

i just play Victoria or Europa Universalis 2 if im going to be "auto resolving" combat

i only play RTW for the combat, the map sucks, bring back the MTW style...

but if its world domination i crave then out comes anything made by paradox plaza, nuff said
    Llew Cadeyrn/Alrowan - Chieftain of Clan Raven

1.I bought Imperial Glory about 2 weeks ago.
    2.I installed it that night and played it for 2 hours.
    3.I uninstalled it and put it in a box at the bottom of the wardrobe.
    "Go tell the Spartans,stranger passing by that here,obedient to their laws we lie."

Quote Originally Posted by Spartiate
    Sounds familiar, I uninstalled mine too and wont be reinstalling it till they patch it, if they patch it.

Wish I'd bought Cossack2 now

indeed IG it's a mix of copied parts from different games. ...

the diplomacy and economics parts are coppied from Europa Universalis .....
    Banzaaaaaii!

Quote Originally Posted by Spartiate
    HA! That's funny.

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

The pace of the action, though, is very different [from RTW]. Imperial Glory's battles proceed at a breakneck rate. You can't give orders while paused, and there's no accelerate time feature either, so you're either tapping your fingers waiting for your troops to plod round the map or frantically issuing orders in the thick of battle.

This makes larger fights essentially unmanageable -- the opening moves in a big fight take place in a matter of a few seconds, and by the time you can issue new orders, your units are already committed to combat. The interface isn't a great deal of help, missing a few crucial functions; for example, you can't withdraw cavalry from a melee, which seriously hurts their usefulness.
    The .ORG has thoroghly killed any chance of me getting the game. But I would like to share this quote from the review. It struck me as... funny/sad.

Ignore the fact that the first paragraph contradicts itself. It is implied that the battles in RTW are not breakneck - hah. They sound just like combat in IG is described.

Professional reviewers suck.

[/RANT]

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander the Pretty Good
    It is implied that the battles in RTW are not breakneck - hah. They sound just like combat in IG is described.

Professional reviewers suck.

[/RANT]
    I think you're being a little harsh here. I guess it all depends on how much you use the pause button. For some Total War players who abjure the pause button (multiplayer vets?), RTWs fast speed was a big issue. For others like myself, who frequently hit pause to control battles, it was not such a biggie. To me, games like Total War when you can pause and issue orders are miles away from standard RTS click fests.

I also suspect the decision over whether to have a "pause and order" option embodies a crucial difference in game design philosophy - is the player supposed to be able to mull over tactical decisions (in which case there has to be important tactical decisions worth mulling over, eg over facing, formation, terrain, mode of attack, timing, coordination etc)? Or is the player supposed to get their kicks from making fast decisions under pressure (where AI speed and numbers substitute for more cerebral challenges).

I don't think attacking the originality of the game on the grounds that it is similar to Total War is particularly productive. The campaign map is similar to MTW? Newsflash, it's a freakin' risk board RTW's style of campaign map is what Slitherine's campaign maps have been for years (there are some 3-D related differences of course). Europe and north Africa too? World War II games (including board games) have had that map for decades. CA definately won points for originality with Shogun: Total War, since then they've made some fun new details, and there are great new aspects to RTW, but if anyone else beats them at their own game then I'm all for it. Of course, I don't think IG has beaten TW at it's own game. I played the demo, and I have to say that while RTW battles suffer balance problems, IG battles suffer serious balance problems. Not $50 worth if you ask me, but it'll be in the cheap bin soon enough.

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

I think you're being a little harsh here. I guess it all depends on how much you use the pause button. For some Total War players who abjure the pause button (multiplayer vets?), RTWs fast speed was a big issue. For others like myself, who frequently hit pause to control battles, it was not such a biggie. To me, games like Total War when you can pause and issue orders are miles away from standard RTS click fests.

I also suspect the decision over whether to have a "pause and order" option embodies a crucial difference in game design philosophy - is the player supposed to be able to mull over tactical decisions (in which case there has to be important tactical decisions worth mulling over, eg over facing, formation, terrain, mode of attack, timing, coordination etc)? Or is the player supposed to get their kicks from making fast decisions under pressure (where AI speed and numbers substitute for more cerebral challenges).
    Well, I guess you have a point. Though it would be nice to mull over decisions without the pause button.

But RTW infantry are still the fastest things on two legs.

Clan Takiyama Senior Member CBR's Avatar

Well I still prefer a realtime game that can be played without pause and still no clickfest. RTW and IG is way too fast for me to enjoy it.

CBR

Cellular Microbiologist Member SpencerH's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ja'chyra
    Sounds familiar, I uninstalled mine too and wont be reinstalling it till they patch it, if they patch it.

Wish I'd bought Cossack2 now
    No loss there. Cossacks2 is not worth the money (at full price).
    E Tenebris Lux
    Just one old soldiers opinion.
    We need MP games without the oversimplifications required for 'good' AI.

Senior Member Senior Member The Scourge's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerH
    No loss there. Cossacks2 is not worth the money (at full price).

Agreed.
    That's it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast