Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canadian female sex killer to leave prison

Ambiguous Member Byzantine Prince's Avatar

Default Canadian female sex killer to leave prison

CNN - link

I can't believe this hasn't been brought up yet. This is truely a nasty piece of news. What do the Quebecers in th Backroom think of this?

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

Default Re: Canadian female sex killer to leave prison

Why we're just delighted of course.

There is now a good chance someone will run her over if they see her crossing the street.
    Unto each good man a good dog

This is why the Death Penalty is such a good idea. So that individuals such as her will never get the chance to be rehabilitated. Doubtless she will now write a book on her harrowing journey to find herself in prison.
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
    -- John Stewart Mills

But from the absolute will of an entire people there is no appeal, no redemption, no refuge but treason.
    LORD ACTON

Quote Originally Posted by sharrukin
    This is why the Death Penalty is such a good idea.
    I'm all for the death penalty, but we can't have it until we have cops who won't manufacture evidence and incriminate the innocent just to close the case to make themselves look good. Look how many innocent people we would have executed in the last twenty years because the cops couldn't find the real killer, so they framed an easy target.

Quote Originally Posted by sharrukin
    Doubtless she will now write a book on her harrowing journey to find herself in prison.
    Don't we have a law that forbids criminals from profiting from books about their crimes?

Medical Welshman in London. Senior Member Big King Sanctaphrax's Avatar
    Cardiff in the summer, London during term time.

So that individuals such as her will never get the chance to be rehabilitated.
    Why wouldn't you want her to be rehabilitated? I can understand arguing that she should be executed on the grounds you think she can't be rehabilitated, but I don't see why you would object to her being turned into a functioning member of society if at all possible.
    Co-Lord of BKS and Beirut's Kingdom of Peace and Love.

"Handsome features, rugged exteriors, intellectual chick magnets, we're pretty much twins."-Beirut

"Rhy, where's your helicopter now? Where's your ******* helicopter now?"-Mephistopheles.

Punishment. Revenge. Read what this heinous broad did and you will see that rehabilitation is far, far more than she deserves.

Quote Originally Posted by Big King Sanctaphrax
    Why wouldn't you want her to be rehabilitated? I can understand arguing that she should be executed on the grounds you think she can't be rehabilitated, but I don't see why you would object to her being turned into a functioning member of society if at all possible.
    I´d go the middle way and make her a functioning member of a nice prison, maybe she can sort out waste or so, so we don´t need to distinguish between three different kinds of waste at home anymore.
    "Just throw everything in there, we have enough criminals to sort it afterwards."

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Death penalty is for people like her and her ex-husband. I read that she was very manipulative in prison, now we release that in the society. But of course she is healed...

Medical Welshman in London. Senior Member Big King Sanctaphrax's Avatar
    Cardiff in the summer, London during term time.

Quote Originally Posted by Beirut
    Punishment. Revenge. Read what this heinous broad did and you will see that rehabilitation is far, far more than she deserves.
    So it's a bloodlust thing. That doesn't sound much like justice to me.

I'm also baffled by the idea that rehabilitation is for the criminal's sake-it isn't. It is or society's sake, so that we don't have to waste money keeping them in prison or make killers of ourselves by executing them. I mean, surely to turn a stone-sold murderess into a functional member of society, as opposed to giving in to our baser instincts and slaying her, would be a truly noble goal?
    Co-Lord of BKS and Beirut's Kingdom of Peace and Love.

"Handsome features, rugged exteriors, intellectual chick magnets, we're pretty much twins."-Beirut

"Rhy, where's your helicopter now? Where's your ******* helicopter now?"-Mephistopheles.

I'm also baffled by the idea that rehabilitation is for the criminal's sake
    It isn't?
    Wheel down, wheel down to southward! Oh, Gooverooska, go!
    And tell the Deep-Sea Viceroys the story of our woe;
    Ere, empty as the shark's egg the tempest flings ashore,
    The Beaches of Lukannon shall know their sons no more!

Rudyard Kipling, Lukannon

Humanist Senior Member A.Saturnus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the tokai
    It isn't?
    If you fix a software problem, is that for your computer`s sake or yours?

You know how you can cure a mad cow? Find an old penny, blacken it over an open flame, bind it on a cat`s hair and hold it into a river flowing east. In comparison with that behaviour the cow is normal.

Quote Originally Posted by A.Saturnus
    If you fix a software problem, is that for your computer`s sake or yours?
    Criminals are humans, not computers.
    Wheel down, wheel down to southward! Oh, Gooverooska, go!
    And tell the Deep-Sea Viceroys the story of our woe;
    Ere, empty as the shark's egg the tempest flings ashore,
    The Beaches of Lukannon shall know their sons no more!

Rudyard Kipling, Lukannon

Mad Professor Senior Member Hurin_Rules's Avatar

The real problem is not the justice system itself. It is the boneheaded move by the prosecutor to cut her a sweet deal because he freaked out thinking he might not have enough to convict her boyfriend, one of the most heinous criminals in Canadian history. In the annals of prosecutorial error, this has to be at the top of the list. They should never have cut her a deal, but I believe they did it so that she could give them the videotapes the couple had made of their abductions and murders, and thus convict Bernardo. Even if Canada had had the death penalty, Homolko would not have been facing it.
    Last edited by Hurin_Rules; 06-21-2005 at 15:31.
    "I love this fellow God. He's so deliciously evil." --Stuart Griffin

|LGA.3rd|General Clausewitz Member Kaiser of Arabia's Avatar

Send her to Iraq, use her to help clear out a minefield
    *watchers her run in blindfolded* *BAM!* *Gets hit with intestine*

BTW Justice is an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth. She tortured and killed 3 young girls with her husband, she should be tortured and killed. It's that simple.

Why do you hate Freedom?
    The US is marching backward to the values of Michael Stivic.

Member Senior Member Proletariat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser of Arabia
    BTW Justice is an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth. She tortured and killed 3 young girls with her husband, she should be tortured and killed. It's that simple.
    Aren't you Catholic? Yanno, God did a bit of a flip-flop on that 'eye for an eye' thing when his Son was born.

Quote Originally Posted by Proletariat
    Aren't you Catholic? Yanno, God did a bit of a flip-flop on that 'eye for an eye' thing when his Son was born.
    Shhhhhh!
    It worked for babalyon.

Why do you hate Freedom?

zombologist Senior Member doc_bean's Avatar

I've rarely seen eyes that had that much *evil* in them.
    She looks ready to kill the photographer !

But yeah, manslaughter, huge mistake.
    Yes, Iraq is peaceful. Go to sleep now. - Adrian II

I'm also baffled by the idea that rehabilitation is for the criminal's sake-it isn't. It is or society's sake, so that we don't have to waste money keeping them in prison or make killers of ourselves by executing them. I mean, surely to turn a stone-sold murderess into a functional member of society, as opposed to giving in to our baser instincts and slaying her, would be a truly noble goal?
    There is nothing noble in giving her what she took from her victims.

Hang Her. Literally, hang her. Scum like that does not deserve to be kept alive.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost908
    Hang Her. Literally, hang her. Scum like that does not deserve to be kept alive.
    I'd perfer decapitation and/or drawing and quartering. Just to make 100% sure she's dead.

Why do you hate Freedom?

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

I think based on the fact that prison psychologists have indicated that she is at such a high risk to re-offend, she should be under continuous and substantial monitoring. Other than that, what can you do? She's not getting out on parole, she served the full term of her sentance. If you feel 12 years is too light a sentance for manslaughter, petition to have the law changed. If you think she never should have been allowed to plead to manslaughter, start a protest to have the prosecuters removed from their jobs.

But from the way the police handled the case, it sounds like Paul Bernardo was the guy raping & murdering these girls and she went along (didn't turn him in, helped him select victims), rather than taking an active role. The bit about offering her sister as a victim seems pretty sick, but again, she didn't DO it, Bernardo did, and without her testimony, he could have walked.

Justice is never perfect, but let me ask you this... would you rather have her getting out after 12 years and Bernardo behind bars for life, or vice versa? Or worse, getting a conviction on neither?
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Eh. She only "kills" or is party to the killing of women. I'm safe; I couldn't care less.

There is a movie being made about that will be ready pretty soon. That girl who plays Donna from That 70's Show is playing her.

Bloodlust? Maybe not. But certainly revenge for the sake of revenge.

To understand our motivations in this matter you would need to understand just how much the crimes perpetrated by her and her husband rocked the whole country. God knows things like this happen, unfortunately, all the time, but for some reason this one was the zenith of all evils to us. It was the straw that broke the camel's back and had thirty million Canadians either screaming with rage or simply crying in frustration.

I'm not sure why this case affected the country so deeply, but it did. I do not doubt for a moment that many millions of Canadians, normally fair people with an inate sense of law and order, of justice and fairplay, would be more than happy if someone ran the bitch over and then backed up and did it again.

I myself, casting aside all exagerations of toughguy talk, cannot guarantee that if I saw her I would not attack her with all my force.

Scruffy Looking Nerf Herder Member Steppe Merc's Avatar

So if I break the law by smoking marijuana, do I get to smoke until I die (which would take a very very long time)? Sweet!

"But if you should fall you fall alone,
    If you should stand then who's to guide you?
    If I knew the way I would take you home."
    Grateful Dead, "Ripple"

Quote Originally Posted by Steppe Merc
    So if I break the law by smoking marijuana, do I get to smoke until I die (which would take a very very long time)? Sweet!
    No they should just make u smoke until u can smoke no more :P

Member Senior Member Proletariat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beirut
    I'm not sure why this case affected the country so deeply, but it did. I do not doubt for a moment that many millions of Canadians, normally fair people with an inate sense of law and order, of justice and fairplay, would be more than happy if someone ran the bitch over and then backed up and did it again.
    I'm not defending this wicked woman, but this is not a good reason for exacting revenge. I can just picture throngs of Canadians with pitch forks and torches meteing out their own justice when their own government played by it's own rules that they have their own say in.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone
    I think based on the fact that prison psychologists have indicated that she is at such a high risk to re-offend, she should be under continuous and substantial monitoring. Other than that, what can you do? She's not getting out on parole, she served the full term of her sentance. If you feel 12 years is too light a sentance for manslaughter, petition to have the law changed. If you think she never should have been allowed to plead to manslaughter, start a protest to have the prosecuters removed from their jobs.

But from the way the police handled the case, it sounds like Paul Bernardo was the guy raping & murdering these girls and she went along (didn't turn him in, helped him select victims), rather than taking an active role. The bit about offering her sister as a victim seems pretty sick, but again, she didn't DO it, Bernardo did, and without her testimony, he could have walked.

Justice is never perfect, but let me ask you this... would you rather have her getting out after 12 years and Bernardo behind bars for life, or vice versa? Or worse, getting a conviction on neither?
    You don't know the Canadian justice system my friend. This is a country where if convicted of manslaughter you get 5 years, and be up for parole in 1 or 2 with good behavior. A life sentence is 25 years usually. But there is a provision to keep someone in jail till they die (I'm fairly certain
    Bernardo got that).
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Quote Originally Posted by Proletariat
    I'm not defending this wicked woman, but this is not a good reason for exacting revenge. I can just picture throngs of Canadians with pitch forks and torches meteing out their own justice when their own government played by it's own rules that they have their own say in.
    I'm not saying it's right, I'm only saying those feelings exists.

I know very well I would be wrong to hurt her, but, as I said, I cannot guarantee that I wouldn't if I saw her.

Quote Originally Posted by Steppe Merc
    You know you'd have to smoke your own body weight in pot, right?

So that individuals such as her will never get the chance to be rehabilitated.

Revenge and justice are posed as two seperate things which in my opinion is incorrect. If a man walks up to someone and puts a bullet in his brain and then gives himself up to the police. If you know absolutely that he will never do any such thing again in his life does he get to go home after a shower to wash off the blood?

If not then we are talking punishment/revenge, aren't we?

Beirut said it well.
    Yes it's a bloodlust thing AND it's justice. Like most things in life it manages to be at least two things at the same time. They are not mutually exclusive but rather are tied up in being the same thing and revenge can exist without justice, but justice cannot exist without the other.

I just cannot find the interest in saving someone who is so utterly despicable that she would be part of the rape and murder of her own sister as well as other young girls. People die all the time and many of them are far more worthy of my concern than this evil bitch.

There is nothing noble about helping her when others exist who are far more deserving.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone
    3) And finally, the one that really, truly broke my heart. A teenage black male who lived in Hartford CT. He was semi-retarded, but by all accounts, had a heart of gold and had a true love of his fellow man. He lived in one of the worst projects in the city. He used to put a towel around his neck and claimed to be Batman and would help old people in and out of the building (as he was 6'6" and weighed over 350 lbs). Well, one day, some younger kids, who had no grudge against this guy, came by with a case of soda. They proceeded to pelt him with the soda cans, even after the guy, screaming and crying, begged for his life. He died there on the lobby floor. Now here's when I almost stopped believing in God, and I did stop believing in the inherent goodness of man. During the attack, at least 10 residents walked through the lobby, including several whom had been assisted by the boy. Nobody called the police.
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
    -- John Stewart Mills

But from the absolute will of an entire people there is no appeal, no redemption, no refuge but treason.
    LORD ACTON

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast