Thread: Briton Campaign: Chariots

Default Briton Campaign: Chariots

I just gave up on a Briton campaign due to incredible frustration. The Britons seem like the best barbarian faction to play due to some unique units, but i had a hell of a time with chariots. The amount of micromanaging was rediculous. I don't believe i used heary chariots, only light and general chariots. Every battle it seemed I'd lose at least one complete unit of chariots, as I'd send them to skirmish, head back to my main army, and next thing I know, the light chariots are in melee and being wiped out. As far as the generals go, it seemed once i had over 20 men in a unit, i would totally lose control and who knows how they would behave. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to effectively use these chariots?
    thanks

Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar

Default Re: Briton Campaign: Chariots

Use stacked chariots. Put two general's units on top of each other, and make sure you hit flanks and rear of formations just like with cavalry. Keep 'em out of prolonged fighting, just charge through. If you can, follow up their charge with mercenary cavalry. Also, you can use the British light chariot archers to follow up the charge from the heavier chariots for great effect. That system works for killing any of the enemy units you'll face the first 30 game years, at least. I've only played as Britannia a very short time so I haven't experimented with British tactics against enemy armies with later units yet.
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

I actually stopped playing my British campaign because I found light chariots simply too powerful against the bulk of the units you face in the early years. They're just like horse archers except fewer shots but quicker speed. If you keep them on skirmish and micromanage them around the edges of the map you can't really go wrong. The enemy won't be able to touch you unless they have massed foot archers of their own.
    Epistolary Richard's modding Rules of Cool
    Cool modders make their mods with the :mod command line switch
    If they don't, then Cool mod-users use the Mod Enabler (JSGME)
    Cool modders use show_err
    Cool modders use the tutorials database Cool modders check out the Welcome to the Modding Forums! thread Cool modders keep backups Cool modders help each other out

Humanist Senior Member Franconicus's Avatar

I am currently playing Britannia and my battles are all won by general's heavy chariots. Just lead them round the flanks of the enemy's army. Then attack his cav (hc are excellent cav killers) and the take the infantry from behind. This works great - no micromanagement needed. Light chariots are a different thing. They are good units but tend to get pinned at the edges. If you do not want to wotty about them let them attack frontal. Then they can shoot theirt artrows and retreat behind your lines. This should work!

Capital of the New Spartan Empire -- Sparta

I personally love when a nice army of Chariots charges into my phalanx spear wall, only a few ever get through, the rest are dead, hehehe.

British light chariots are tricky and need to be babysat, but they can be effective. If you follow this one truism you may be able to use them better. Light chariots are light horse archers, mean't to shoot and scoot not stand and fight. Their lower armour, defense, and charge values mean they can be overwhelmed by most infantry types in a melee. They will rip apart cavalry though.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Capital of the New Spartan Empire -- Sparta

Quote Originally Posted by lars573
    They will rip apart cavalry though.
    Yes... that I've found out sadley. Have to have all of my Eastern armies equipped with 4-6 archer units to be able to kill troops, & hit chariots now, since the greek calverly cannot catch those dang Egyptian chariot archers, nor can foot troops!

Senior Member Senior Member katank's Avatar

Chariots are extremely powerful anticav with armour piercing secondary attack.

The counter is pinning infantry and hitting with skirmishers or masses archers to create batteries for map control.

Slowly alternately move forward archers to produce creeping fire and drive th chariots into a corner of a map where they can be shot to bits or cut up.