Thread: Idea for a Mod. Frontier: Total War.

Default Idea for a Mod. Frontier: Total War.

I have just thought of a great idea for a mod. Starting in about A.D. 70 and lasting to about A.D. 150, the mod would be based obn the frontier battle in the Roman Empire.

Factions:
    Roman Empire
    Dacia
    And various Germanic tribes.

I think the Senate is able to be removed, as the latest RTR says they can get rid of it.

The map would have all the Roman frontier provinces and include Germany, Dacia, and areas around them.

There will be other interesting features as well to reflect the Roman Empire, such as Legions etc.

But I need a modding team to do this, I can't exactly mod, but I have all Roman and Dacian history fixed up, I just need someone for the German history, and of course modders of all description.

Well, what do you think?

Ekklesia Mafia: - An exciting new mafia game set in ancient Athens - Sign up NOW!
    "Oh, how I wish we could have just one Diet session where the Austrians didn't spend the entire time complaining about something." Fredericus von Hamburg

Default Re: Idea for a Mod. Frontier: Total War.

This mod will focus more on Dacia and the German tribes. They will have a wide selection of units, and the AI will have bonuses to make it more difficult. The Romans will be able to have auxiliaries of almost any nationality. Another idea will be to make each army into a legion. As soon as you move an individual units out by itself, it becomes a legion. Maximum number of Legions will be 38. The timeline will be from A.D. 70 - A.D. 170, with 6 turns per year. The map will be very detalied, with even small villages being featured.

Come on and help create a mod that does the Romans, Dacians, and all Germanic tribes justice.

Note: There will be about 6 Germanic tribes, maybe more.
    But please join the team.

Ekklesia Mafia: - An exciting new mafia game set in ancient Athens - Sign up NOW!
    "Oh, how I wish we could have just one Diet session where the Austrians didn't spend the entire time complaining about something." Fredericus von Hamburg

Hmm thats an interesting point in history, one which involves cool emperors like Marcus Aurelius. You do realize however that there is a boatload more work than editing history files. You would need new units which reflect the changes of the time, the transition to cavalry. Unfortunately I think it might be a bit pointless, since the Activision people would've released the new RTW before you could finish it, and it has more or less the same premise.
    Hegemonia Lead Modeller.

We will be mostly reskinning units. But we desperately need help. Come on and help us.

If you cant mod yourself, stop posting ridiculous ideas that'll require a team of 10+ modders and that'll take months, maybe even a year to make..."knowing the history" and "done the research" isn't good enough, so stop posting this idea everywhere you go...I even saw a post in the EB subforum?!

dark_shadow89
    This is actually one of the more feasible mod ideas that we've had recently, and certainly far more feasible than some of the mods that, if I recall correctly, you have been involved in yourself.

I appreciate your intention to make him aware of some of the difficulties in developing a mod from conception to final product, and the importance of knowing what you are and what you are not capable of, however if you wish to offer friendly advice then I suggest that you adopt a more appropriate tone in the future.

Ignoramus
    If you are really committed to your idea, then I would suggest you develop your modding skills as quickly as possible. From experience here, I can tell you that you have to be prepared to take the responsibility of developing your mod largely upon yourself. You cannot be dependent on recruiting a team to do the modding for you. If you are not prepared to finish the mod, then believe me, no one else will.

Typically, a mod will find it far easier to recruit new members once develop has begun and it can show screenshots of its work in progress. You may wish to reconsider advertising again once you have reached that point if you are still in need of new members.
    Last edited by Epistolary Richard; 06-25-2005 at 09:55.
    Epistolary Richard's modding Rules of Cool
    Cool modders make their mods with the :mod command line switch
    If they don't, then Cool mod-users use the Mod Enabler (JSGME)
    Cool modders use show_err
    Cool modders use the tutorials database Cool modders check out the Welcome to the Modding Forums! thread Cool modders keep backups Cool modders help each other out

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

Ignoramus I suggest you check out the Scriptorium. Modding isn't hard, read through the guides on map editing and skinning (I believe that's what you need), put something together, and people will be much more willing to help. When I started on WoT (as I keep saying) for Rome I released a single unit for download and it got me a team....

Here are some useful links:
    Campaign map general guide:
    Making a new campaign map. -by me
    How to create a campaign map by 'zooming in' on a region - I think this will be useful to you
    Campaign Map from a small part - by Monkwarrior
    How to skin:
    Guide: adding new unit textures - by Duke John
    And if you need a good starting point for the campaign map, I recommend Duke John's campaign template:
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showp...04&postcount=2

Good luck

DarkShadow, that's not necessary. What did you have when you came to modding if it wasn't just an idea? Instead of telling him to stop posting it, tell him how he can start on it.
    Last edited by Myrddraal; 06-25-2005 at 11:06.

@Epistolary Richard: I did offer advice, I didnt flame...all I was saying was that, unless he has some skills of his own in modding, he'll eventually be superceded as leader by someone more capable, or his mod wont get off the ground at all. I wasn't talking about its feasability as a mod - any mod is feasable, so long as the person suggesting it hows some aspects of modding...I could probably go off and make a space mod right now, if I had the skills, and, like you said, he can't just rely on his recruited members to do all the work and all he does is "lead", it just wont work. I know this from experience as I took over as leader from Troy Total War as the original leader had basically no skills, and wasn't overly commited...

@Ignoramus: although this mod MAY be a good idea, it wont happen just because you've posted recruitment topics here, in SCC and TWC. You need to show that YOU can do some of the work before other people will be willing to commit themselves to help you...

I have no issue with people illustrating the challenges that lie before the development of any new mod - we are both aware of the difficulties inherent in what he is trying to do. But please remember that these forums are here to _support_ the modding community and the individual modders within it. All advice should be delivered in a way that encourages the conception and completion of mods and should not be able to be construed otherwise.
    Epistolary Richard's modding Rules of Cool
    Cool modders make their mods with the :mod command line switch
    If they don't, then Cool mod-users use the Mod Enabler (JSGME)
    Cool modders use show_err
    Cool modders use the tutorials database Cool modders check out the Welcome to the Modding Forums! thread Cool modders keep backups Cool modders help each other out