Thread: Travelling in Europe

Default Travelling in Europe

One of the things that I envy about Europe is that you could travel across the border with a car. Do you still need a passport to move from one European country to another? Is there a limited time of stay that you're allowed?
    Over here where I live, you need a plane to get to another country. That makes travelling expensive. I know lots of people who never left the country.
    I think Europeans are more open and understanding to a culture that's different from their's. They have lots of contact with neighboring countries so they have a lot of experience with this.
    What do you think of the E.U. and the Euro? I bought something from Switzerland and noticed that the price rose a lot.
    Last edited by HunkinElvis; 06-22-2005 at 06:46.
    "Winner of the 1st "Shamble's Total War Tournament,
    with 0 losses to his name.
    Hunkin Elvis
    "

-Shambles

Humanist Senior Member Franconicus's Avatar

Default Re: Travelling in Europe

Quote Originally Posted by HunkinElvis
    One of the things that I envy about Europe is that you could travel across the border with a car. Do you still need a passport to move from one European country to another?
    EU citizens do not need a passport to travel in the EU. Citizens from other countries do - although there are normally no controls at the borders.

I think Europeans are more open and understanding to a culture that's different from their's. They have lots of contact with neighboring countries so they have a lot of experience with this.
    Thank you! You are very kind!!

What do you think of the E.U. and the Euro? I bought something from Switzerland and noticed that the price rose a lot.
    Euro is great. It makes a lot of things easier. People that are complaining are just fools.
    Switzerland is very expansive. Especially the food!

Senior Member Senior Member English assassin's Avatar

You need a passport to get in and out of the UK, but I don't remember anyone being very interested in looking at them on the continent. EU nationals can stay as long as they like in any other EU country.

Some form of EU is inevitable IMHO. The one we have at the moment isn't that good in a number of ways, but only a real nutter would think we should get rid of it.

I think it was Kissinger who said "Who do I dial for Europe?" Its still a good question, and the EU is/will be the answer.
    "The only thing I've gotten out of this thread is that Navaros is claiming that Satan gave Man meat. Awesome." Gorebag

the best way to travel is interrail, it costs you €400 to travel as much you want for one month throughout all of europe with train, and you get all sorts of discounts as well (like ferry, bus, museeum etc)
    Common Unreflected Drinking Only Smartens

http://europa.eu.int/abc/travel/doc/index_en.htm

EU citizens get by without a passport for more than half the member states. Others should have a valid passport, and possibly a visa to enter the EU.
    If you're fighting fair you've made a miscalculation.

Slapshooter Senior Member el_slapper's Avatar

Default Re : Travelling in Europe

I went with my car from Paris to Glasgow, Strasbourg, Brussels, Nice, took the plane to Malaga & Hamburg..... Could have gone further if I had had an opportunity. I'm not sure I've shown my passport when taking the shuttle back to France - and I've not used it at all for other travels. Free travelling is really excellent . If only the English did have a modern, civilized currency, it would be top notch .

That being said, the question about Europe is to know whether we need common rules & laws - and the answer usually depends upon the interests of who ask the question
    War is not about who is right, only about who is left

Having a point of view upon everything is good
    Having a view upon every point is better

Default Re: Re : Travelling in Europe

If only the English did have a modern, civilized currency, it would be top notch .
    Good use of slang there BTW. What would be the equivalent french phrase if you don't mind me asking?

Anyway, the British had to get rid of pounds shillings and pence just because you lot were no good at mental arithmetic. Metric system my backside. Twenty shillings to a pound, twelve pence to a shilling and four farthings to a penny, that's what I call a currency. You needed a maths A level to buy lunch.
    "The only thing I've gotten out of this thread is that Navaros is claiming that Satan gave Man meat. Awesome." Gorebag

Humanist Senior Member Franconicus's Avatar

Default Re: Re : Travelling in Europe

Quote Originally Posted by el_slapper
    If only the English did have a modern, civilized currency, it would be top notch .
    And if they only learned to drive on the right side.

Quote Originally Posted by el_slapper
    That being said, the question about Europe is to know whether we need common rules & laws - and the answer usually depends upon the interests of who ask the question
    We need a Éuropean democracy with the European people making the laws they want to have. Today some foreign European clerks make the rules.
    People fear to loose control in a Eurpean State. That is rubbish if the people control the government

But the people does not, the parliament is virtually uselss. Maybe they got a little more influence, than for 10 years ago, but still nothing. That is why I oppose the European Union as it looks now.
    Common Unreflected Drinking Only Smartens

zombologist Senior Member doc_bean's Avatar

The common market and the freedom to travel is great.

The commission was originally formed as the top of the EU bureaucracy (sp ?), not as a real political actor. However, it has very little real power in a lot of area's, Europe still decides as a confederation with unanimous consent on most things. Politicians just like to blame Europe for the unpopular decisions that are needed.

I think we need to work out just what we will be delegating to the EU over time, I don't want it to turn into a federation like the US where State Legislators are nearly symbolic.
    The nations of Europe are vastly different and this should be reflected in the structure of the EU. While I'm really a federalist, I agree with most of what the British are doing these days.

The Euro has its good and bad sides, I don't think it's solely responsible for the rise in prices, but apparently, the Dutch did get screwed. Their own government's fault for agreeing to the exchange rate of course...
    Yes, Iraq is peaceful. Go to sleep now. - Adrian II

Quote Originally Posted by doc_bean
    The Euro has its good and bad sides, I don't think it's solely responsible for the rise in prices, but apparently, the Dutch did get screwed. Their own government's fault for agreeing to the exchange rate of course...
    Nah, prices have gone up just about everywhere. The conversion to Euro did give merchants an excuse for taking a bit more. Why round down when you can round up, right?

But going back isn't the way. Prices won't magically fall if you get rid of the Euro. They'd just rise again since rounding up is so easy.
    If you're fighting fair you've made a miscalculation.

Member Senior Member Proletariat's Avatar

On a sort-of related note, can a citizen of a Commonwealth country live in another Commonwealth country easily? IE, if an Austrailian would like to up and move to England, would there be as much hassle as an American would recieve?

Medical Welshman in London. Senior Member Big King Sanctaphrax's Avatar
    Cardiff in the summer, London during term time.

Quote Originally Posted by Proletariat
    On a sort-of related note, can a citizen of a Commonwealth country live in another Commonwealth country easily? IE, if an Austrailian would like to up and move to England, would there be as much hassle as an American would recieve?
    Until the early 60s, migrants from Commonwealth countries were encouraged, as there was a labour shortage. Since the Commonwealth Immigration act, however, they have been subject to the same restrictions as any other immigrants.
    Co-Lord of BKS and Beirut's Kingdom of Peace and Love.

"Handsome features, rugged exteriors, intellectual chick magnets, we're pretty much twins."-Beirut

"Rhy, where's your helicopter now? Where's your ******* helicopter now?"-Mephistopheles.

zombologist Senior Member doc_bean's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spetulhu
    Nah, prices have gone up just about everywhere. The conversion to Euro did give merchants an excuse for taking a bit more. Why round down when you can round up, right?
    It's against everything the free market stands for. Problems with the freedom of the market allow the prices to rise. That and CAP.
    Yes, Iraq is peaceful. Go to sleep now. - Adrian II

BKS is right, except for two practical points. First, there are special working visas for young people from a lot of other commonwealth countries. You probably couldn't buy a pint in London it it wasn't for Australian 20 somethings on work permits. I think they last about two years and you can basically have one by asking.

Second quite a lot of people have dual citizenship. My Ozzie cousins have dual Australian/British nationality, for instance, so obviously its "no worries" if they want to work in the UK (and therefore anywhere in Europe).

Member Senior Member Proletariat's Avatar

Thanks, BKS and EA.

I'll be on the next plane.