Thread: Darth Mod Playability

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

Default Darth Mod Playability

What I'm talking about.

I'm not sure this is the correct forum - I am asking about the mod's playability. Is the AI better, like it claims? In general, what is your (a collective pronoun, not anyone in particular) opinion of the mod?

The Lord of Chaos Member ChaosLord's Avatar

Default Re: Darth Mod Playability

Hmm, people have quite alot to say about the mod on the forums. I think i'll dl it and give it a shot, then post my observations here. Thanks for the link.
    "Every good communist should know political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao tse-Tung

Just downloaded it but I haven't had time to really give it a go. All I have really done is check out the new unit rosters in custom battles and when I have the time I am going to do a british campaign. The unit lists do seem kinda big now but I have no complaint about that. Tons more legionares around the world (carthage, britain and more) but I just want to do the british when I actually get some time to play it. They have archers and cavalry now and they still have their usually good infantry and chariots.

Also I have heard nothing but excellent praise for this mod so far.

Otto - They call them fingers, but I've never seen them fing...Oh there they go
    Cool Site

Summa Rudis Senior Member Catiline's Avatar

Wrong forum - read the the house keeping sticky. thread moved.
    Quo usque tandem abutere, Catilina, patientia nostra

The Lord of Chaos Member ChaosLord's Avatar

Alright, i've played a bit and the battles seem about the same as R:TR. All but one battle so far have been crushing/heroic victories. I lost 585 troops out of my 800 some odd man army when I wiped out a stack of Macedonian assorted militia/levy/phalanx/royal 1400 men strong. This was with just a one star general though. Those losses made up the majority of my losses(585 of roughly 900) I lost while fighting a short war with Macedon. Killed about 4000 for what I lost.

So all in all it doesn't appear to be harder, and parts of it are really starting to bug me. The formations have been edited so selecting more then two units will always put them in a double line now(ie.. -_- when you try to deploy). The AI also uses the formation setup that i'm not sure if it really helps it. It keps more troops behind their front line troops so its easier to flank. I had a battle where I fought 6 units of levy pikemen and I outnumbered them. They still kept two units behind the first four which made it even easier to flank.

It could be because of how I play though, deploying in a long row with a strong center rather then short row with reserves. I also didn't play on the "recommended" settings. I played hard/medium because I don't see the point of going to vh if both sides get the same bonuses. Theoretically, the mod should play about the same either way. I'm not sure why my experiences vary that much from those on the mods TWC forums.

Maybe it only kicks in much later in the mod(i'm 10 years in at the moment) since the barracks now grant experience bonuses(they did for Thrace at least) to troops. But for all I read about mass and the like, it doesn't seem to matter much. The AI still suicided its generals and the deep deployment it used helped it break up its own formations when it charged forward to attack with all of them.
    "Every good communist should know political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao tse-Tung

I had a full stack of Macedonian phalanxs, calavary and archers and I went up against two full stacks of Thrace. Normally in the game without the darthmod installed I would have no issues kicking the two stacks butts. But this time I lost first time for me. So If the game stays like this I might actually have to work at this to win the game. That would be a nice change. Oh ya I'm playing VH/H setting with hugh unit size.