Thread: How to keep interested on a steamroller

Member Member The Electric Celt's Avatar

Default How to keep interested on a steamroller

Now then comrades,my current campaign Scilly/high/hard/g.a V.I having crested the 60% shenanigans without much fuss and now at 1306 ,is getting a little bit beige. The goals are still unimaginativly 'keep control of malta'I Lead the HRE by 5 points and am dutifully 'giving them the good word'on 2 fronts No more competition worth mentioning since the Almohads went all Jihad and I've knocked'em back with 2 successive successful crusades.
    I've right enjoyed this one and want to do it justice before starting another.Any ideas to keep my interest up?that still retain an air of realism.
    BREED MORE CONSUMERS

Everyone's entitled to my opinion

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Default Re: How to keep interested on a steamroller

Command personally all the battles.... Also, do some sieges with cannons and use Organ Guns on the battlefield.....
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Play a faction, conquer their historical territories. Build as big of an army as you can and take over the whole without reinforcing your army(s).
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Vermonter and Seperatist Member Uesugi Kenshin's Avatar

Just keep comparing your land size and army composition to famous empires, such as the Golden Horde and Rome.

Playing all the battles and excessively using cannon is good too.
    "A man's dying is more his survivor's affair than his own."
    C.S. Lewis

"So many people tiptoe through life, so carefully, to arrive, safely, at death."
    Jermaine Evans

Believer of Murphy's Law Member Sensei Warrior's Avatar

What I usually do to keep things interesting is, surgical strikes. You see I am not much of a battler. I do well enough but my timing is off and the AI typically catches wind of my battle strategies. So when I've womped the game into subbmission, I try to take land with the smallest force possible. If I am gonna attack a prov that has a 3* gen and a developed (peasants don't count) 1000 men. I send in a 3* gen and 500 men. I send 1/2 of what he has. Then I have to rely on tactics and positioning and all the things I typically don't bother with when I have an uber-army.
    Every weapon has evolved from the same basic design, either a rock or a sharp pointy stick.

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

Run the game with -ian.

Switch faction and face the behemoth you've created.
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

Build all dead factions land up and make them rebel or re-emerge. Kill the pope, take all his lands and fight every re-emergence.

mfberg
    It is not complete until the overwieght female vocalizes.

Pinky : Gee Brain, what do you want to do tonight?
    Brain : The same thing we do every night Pinky. Try to take over the world!

Gettin' Medieval Member King Bob VI's Avatar

How exactly does this "-ian" thing work?

Quote Originally Posted by King Bob VI
    How exactly does this "-ian" thing work?

Add "-ian" (without the quotes) to the end of the command line in the shortcut that starts MTW. It's a kind of a debug mode that lets you do a couple of things, the most useful of which is that it lets you switch between factions. Once you start in -ian mode, press on of the number keys to switch to a corresponding faction. For example, pressing '1' lets you play as the rebels, pressing '4' lets you play as the Danes, and pressing _shift_ '8' lets you play as Novgorod (I think). This is nice because it lets you play as factions that are normally locked, and it lets you switch to another faction when you get bored of the monster you create with yours. (It can be quite a challenge to take out the super-power you create.)

There is a little more about this at the end of the "beginners guide" and the "unit guide" in the MTW Guides section.

HTH,

EDIT - I typed "shift" inside brackets, and it didn't show on the screen.
    Last edited by Procrustes; 06-28-2005 at 16:26.

Chief Biscuit Monitor Member professorspatula's Avatar

Hold down shift and then press number keys to access the other factions too.

It'll be a long and arduous campaign to successfully destroy your own super-power empire though, at least I imagine so. Unless it falls into a civil war early on and another faction re-emerges to nick more of their lands.

Although it goes against your realism suggestion, you could give a gift of a million florins to a pauper faction using the .deadringer. cheat and the -ian switch. It'll go crazy bribing armies and recruiting new units, so you'll have a fair few battles with them, probably many against your own turncoat armies. Can get boring and silly though. Still funny at times when you see the AI suddenly bribe half the map under their control, then go bankrupt with civil wars erupting everywhere.
    Improving the TW Series one step at a time:

BI Extra Hordes & Unlocked Factions Mod: Available here.