Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Factions

Dungalloigh Brehonda Member Ranika's Avatar

Default Re: Factions

I highly doubt that's possible, but we may just need to bite the bullet, as it were, with Gaelic names, and try to make some type of approximation or simply an exception; the hardcode is a painfully cruel bit.
    Ní dheachaigh fial ariamh go hIfreann.

I fear you are right about that, but I wonder if there is some way to distinguish between the names that appear in-game and the "internal" names used by the program. If this is the case, a "Mac" or "Ua" name wouldn't be hard to manage, I think.

Arbeit macht fleisch Member ScionTheWorm's Avatar

do you know if anyone have successfully changed hardcoded things?
    Last edited by ScionTheWorm; 09-02-2005 at 09:52.

I have heard that hard code has been cracked, but openly admitting this or even...well, making a mod out of it would be illegal. This a very hush-hush issue.

Arbeit macht fleisch Member ScionTheWorm's Avatar

it wouldn't do any good either probably, it could bring so many bugs...

You aren't going to make Viking cavalry are you? because that would be a dumb idea... they only used horses to get somewhere on the battlefield quick.. but when they got there they dismounted... they never charged a foe on horseback!

But nice graphics
    "…Birds of battle screech, the grey wolf howls, spears rattle, shield answers shaft. …Then many a thegn, laden in gold, buckled on his sword-belt. …The hollow shield called for bold men"s hands..."

Neongod; If some one had the gumption, I suppose, they could maybe work out an extensive system of traits for Gaels based on the region they first show up in or their family line and assign them a trait that just gives them an appropriate last name, but I doubt anyone would wish to go through such work.

Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar

Actually they had a little cavalry, but mostly late in the period. You're right that the main usage for horses was to get to the battlefield though. Viking cavalry is a unit of neglectable importance in this mod.
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

Quote Originally Posted by tutankamon
    You aren't going to make Viking cavalry are you? because that would be a dumb idea... they only used horses to get somewhere on the battlefield quick.. but when they got there they dismounted... they never charged a foe on horseback!

But nice graphics
    It's the same with the Englisc - their only cavalry should be "Horswealas" - Welsh auxiliary horsemen. Other than that they really didn't fight from horseback.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    Neongod; If some one had the gumption, I suppose, they could maybe work out an extensive system of traits for Gaels based on the region they first show up in or their family line and assign them a trait that just gives them an appropriate last name, but I doubt anyone would wish to go through such work.
    I was thinking more along the lines of a simple script that changed the character's last name to Mac-(father's name) at birth. Titular or adjective names, like Boru, would be earned in the normal fashion ("the bloody", "the mighty", or so on). I don't think these names would require a translation or a modification to be effective, at least for a first release.

Quote Originally Posted by NeonGod
    I was thinking more along the lines of a simple script that changed the character's last name to Mac-(father's name) at birth. Titular or adjective names, like Boru, would be earned in the normal fashion ("the bloody", "the mighty", or so on). I don't think these names would require a translation or a modification to be effective, at least for a first release.
    That would work, but the Gaelic name lists would get fairly big. The Irish should have some 'Ua' or 'Uo' names (or 'O', which shows up earliest in the tail-end of this period with some regularity in the east), though the Scots would lack any such names; all Mc/Mac/Moc/Mhic (Mhic was the 'Pictish' variant which was later used somewhat regularly in the north).

Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    That would work, but the Gaelic name lists would get fairly big. The Irish should have some 'Ua' or 'Uo' names (or 'O', which shows up earliest in the tail-end of this period with some regularity in the east), though the Scots would lack any such names; all Mc/Mac/Moc/Mhic (Mhic was the 'Pictish' variant which was later used somewhat regularly in the north).
    This is true...sigh. Well, the Irish would have come from Munster, yes? Which variant of "ua" should be used in that case? Mac- or Mak- should probably be good for the Scottish ruling family.

Uo and Ua were both used depending on the region of Munster (Brian Boru actually appears on rolls with both variants when he was younger; he didn't start using his father's name until shortly before his brother died). However, Ireland's rebels would still have mac/uo variants. A few variations, if it could be done, would be nice for rebel leaders in Ireland, since mac variants were used in Ireland too, but we will invariably need to make exceptions unless some one is particularly dedicated to making names work appropriately (which, if one wanted it perfectly accurate, some would have to be 'named' after their grandfathers, or have their names change during the course of their lives).

Rebels..hadn't thought of that. Did EB have a similar name system in place? Or can you even say?

Rebels draw their names from the 'faction creator' of the province. So, if a rebel province had the Irish as their faction creator, rebels in it would pool their names/last names from the name list of the Irish.

Well, I suppose a seperate script could be put into place for the rebels. The real problem would be getting much variation out of the prefixes.

I'm not sure if the team is aware of this, but the issue surrounding unplayable factions in version 1.3 or BI has been resolved.

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showp...88&postcount=8

What a relief.

Yup, I fixed it two days ago Thanks anyway. Now comes the last touches of fixing the cultures, then the adding of religions, which might be quite difficult... Then it's time for building editing, then scripting and coordinating it with the edited units.
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

Great. It sounds like you're on the ball.

I have been reading the scandinavian storyline and i have found a big error!
    Just to be sure i lokked it up in my book: "The great book of world history" from 2004. And as I thourt the book says that it was NOT norwegien people that founded Normandy.

About 885 AC. the Danish vikings plondered France. In desperation to stop these attacks the frence payed a tribute called "Danegæld". Years later "Normandy" was given to the danish viking; "Rollo" because they feared his grat army.

I also found a link on the internet (It's in danish but there is a picture):

http://hjem.get2net.dk/fyrkat/dansk/index.htm

In 844 the danish vikings alsow plundered the arabic controlled Sevilla in Spain. 15 years later the dansih vikings "Bjørn Jernside" og "Hastings" sailed out to plunder north Afrika. They didt that and sailed to plunder Rome. And so they did. Or at least they thourt they did, later it was known that it was not Rome but a much smaller city called Luna.

For more detail just ask

Will look that up...
    Under construction...

is not a senior Member Meneldil's Avatar

Default Re : Factions

In all the books I read, Rollon is described as a Norvegian, not as a Dane

Default Re: Re : Factions

Quote Originally Posted by Meneldil
    In all the books I read, Rollon is described as a Norvegian, not as a Dane
    Well i learned in scool he was Danish. In all the books I have read he was danish. I tried to find some info to back it up. Here is what I found:

http://www.fortidensjelling.dk/jelling0.htm

It's on Danish sow you should read this instead:

http://www.lysator.liu.se/nordic/scn/faq33.html

It can properly be used for the Denmark faction information in general.

We know for sure that the army he was cormanding was Danish and that Danish vikings had been in France long time before. They got a tribute called "Danegæld" -depth to Danes. Normandy was colonised by Danes. They adopted the French language and ways and became christians. They was paid to protect France from other Vikings including their Danish ancestors (which is understandable since the Franks were there ancestors as well).

http://sinclair.quarterman.org/who/rollo.html
    http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histoire_de_la_Normandie
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollo%2...29_of_Normandy
    http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollon

Based on wikipedia.fr article (which is based on Icelandic sagas), he was a Norwegian, but his followers were mostly danes.

The evicence says that they probably came from Viken (the area around the Oslo fjord) But in these times there were no Denmark or Norway. And this area were often under kings with seats in todays denmark. The lack of clear borders and consolidated nations in Scandinavia, makes it a relative question if they were Norwegians, Danes, or simply vikings (pople from the "vik")
    The area around the Oslo fjord were under the whole middle age in times part of both Norwegian, Swedish, and Danish roule. And it's only after 1000 - 1100 we can speak of "norwegians" and "danes".

In the attacks in Normandy, there were probably pople from both todays Denmark and Norway. And it's impossible to tell if Rollo/Rolf came from the north or the south side of Skagerak. But the evidece shows that there were in fact pople that claimed they came from Vestforld, witch is on the west bank of the Oslofjord. There were allso pople from the danish mainland.

-Skel-
    Last edited by skeletor; 11-10-2005 at 12:50.

Age of vikings and fanatics: Total War

Well, I must agree that it looks pretty convincing Meneldil. I have written an E-mail to some historians. In any chase I think they can give a reason why the answers the sources provide is so different. But it is for sure that his army was Danish and that the Normans were decedents of the Danish and Frankish.

Here is your problem....

You must secide if they came from a Norwegian/Dane kingdom, or Norwegian/Dane area.

As you can se here, sometimes the viken (oslofjord area) was under Norwegian roule, and sometimes under Danes.

If they came from an area witch today is Norway, but rouled by a Dane king, were they then Norwegians or Danes?

http://www.tacitus.nu/historical-atl...ia/denmark.htm

http://www.tacitus.nu/historical-atl...via/norway.htm

-Skel-

Man, why haven't you shown me these maps earlier ?

I just found them

They are allso VERY standarised, and the situation in the area up to 1000 - 1100 were alot more complicated and fragmented then these maps show..

-Skel-

Hi. I speak fluent Irish and have a lot of friends doing it in uni at the moment. Modern Irish is very different from the Irish that would have been used from 843-1100 and changed a lot throughout that time, but if theres anything I could do to help I have either the knowledge or the resources to do so. Also, quick question. Historically Ulster was divided from the rest of Ireland by a border known as "Black pigs dyke". Heres some info.http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/timelin...igs_dyke.shtml Will this be included in the mod. Here's my e-mail if you need to get in touch with regards to the Irish faction edawson03@qub.ac.uk.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast