Thread: Castles and walls

A couple of questions on walls:

1) Can you have a castle with 2 or more open gates in it?

2) Is it possible to build a wall across the map with gates in it and the map to still work? (like the great wall of china)

PS has anyone managed to draw a cannon so it could be put in with the appropriate stats?

------------------
    What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching?

Nur-ad-Din Forum Administrator TosaInu's Avatar

Konnichiwa,

1 yes, on any side of the castle, and walls inside walls too. (also see hide_sanada).

2 probably not: wallsection on the edge tiles aren't properly supported, but you might be able to use a (optical) 'trick' here: make the wall disappear (behind) in a (no-go) rock.

------------------
    Ja mata
    Toda MizuTosaInu
    Daimyo Takiyama Shi

http://www.takiyama.cjb.net
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Thanks TosaInu! My curiosity is satisfied

Also, though we have so far succeeded more or less in making cannon units that can behave somewhat properly as field artillery, there is no way for such units to damage or destroy castle wall, so the dream of siege machines is still as far off as ever.

Matt

Senior Member Senior Member The Daimyo's Avatar

That's because they didn't make the textures or terrain deformable. In reality that means that they'd have to supply a whole new set of textures for every single one that they want to allow for damage to. That's a lot of extra work.
    On top of that, then there would be the need for some extra programming

Perhaps in the next game....or the next one....

------------------
    The Daimyo
    Miaowara "Kakizaki" Tomokato
    @ http://www.planettotalwar.com

Senior Member Senior Member Kraellin's Avatar

ming,

yes to #1, but make sure you read the readme regarding castles vs enclosures.

and yes to #2, but, the editor will give you a flashing warning notice about walls in the red zone. i already built a map with 'the great wall of china on it and did extend the walls through the red zone. the map works, but in custom games i also get a warning about the walls in the red zone.

as for re-drawing the units...heh, this one is complicated for several reasons. there isnt just one file that determines the look of units and that's the main reason. you can look at the threads regarding .bif files if you're interested in finding out our difficulties here.

K.

------------------
    I'm sorry, but i never apologize.

karoshi Senior Member solypsist's Avatar

i have a nifty prog called inspire modeler whereby one can make three dimesional textured models, but it's only for the mac. i will try to somehow convert a rendered model over to pc format and see what i can get. if this works, then the sky's the limit on new terrain

I made a map like this and at first l tried to make the walls reach at the and of the map but there was a bug. Well you can make huge firests near the map end thus making the attacker to pass some ninjas behind the walls

------------------
    Don't use only honour, use theforce, too.
    http://lod.fateback.com
    I cannot return l presume so l will keep my name among those who are dead by bows!
    http://www.dedicatedgaming.com/~angelsofdarkness

i haven't tried map making before and i wanted to ask if someone already made a map with intricate (maze-like) castle walls like the real ones.

Nur-ad-Din Forum Administrator TosaInu's Avatar
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Senior Member Senior Member Kraellin's Avatar

jomni,

you can do walls enclosed by walls enclosed by walls, but read the readme file for more info on this.

K.

------------------
    I'm sorry, but i never apologize.

Thanks for all your help. In reply to things about the cannon, I wasn't thinking of trying to draw it myself as I'm no good at that sort of thing.

Also to jomni, the editor manual-type thing says that maze-like castle defences don't work properly as the AI can't find their way through them very well.

Its a pity about not being able to break down castle walls and form a "breach" as this would have made castle battles way more fun!

Thanks again

------------------