Thread: Polish laws on mass murder

Ambiguous Member Byzantine Prince's Avatar

Default Polish laws on mass murder

CNN - link

Seventy-seven people were killed when the pilots' Sukhoi Su-27 fighter jet hit the ground and exploded near Lviv, western Ukraine. More than two dozen children were among the victims.
    Pilot Volodymyr Toponar was sentenced to 14 years in prison, and his co-pilot Yuriy Yegorov was sentenced to eight years.
    14 years for the murder of 2 dozen kids!?!?! This is insane!

I hope Poland changes now that it's in the EU, because I doubt any other country in Europe would have allowed them anything less then life in prison.

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

Default Re: Polish laws on mass murder

It's only murder if you intended to kill the children. I actually think that for a negligent homocide, this probably is pretty fair. What's more, I'm impressed with the Poles that they didn't just go after the pilots, they went after the unit leader that enouraged these guys to do that showboat maneuver, as well as the show organizers for not taking adequate precautions.
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

I doubt they went up that day with the intention of crashing their jet into all those people, although I didnt read the full link...

Medical Welshman in London. Senior Member Big King Sanctaphrax's Avatar
    Cardiff in the summer, London during term time.

It seems to me that this was an accident, although admittedly one exacerbated by their errors. It's hardly murder. Indeed, fourteen years is a bit harsh, I feel.
    Co-Lord of BKS and Beirut's Kingdom of Peace and Love.

"Handsome features, rugged exteriors, intellectual chick magnets, we're pretty much twins."-Beirut

"Rhy, where's your helicopter now? Where's your ******* helicopter now?"-Mephistopheles.

Polish? Arcticle talks about Ukraine.

Oops, I guess it is Ukraine.

Well I think killing 2 dozen kids when your plane falls on them because you wanted to be playful is pretty murderous. I know the courts would try them for murder, they would obviously try them for manslaughter, but CO-MON! 77 people! That's a huge crime.

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

Oops, sorry about that.
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Byzantine Prince
    CNN - link

14 years for the murder of 2 dozen kids!?!?! This is insane!

I hope Poland changes now that it's in the EU, because I doubt any other country in Europe would have allowed them anything less then life in prison.
    From what I've seen on these forums and in the news, perhap Holland would give them 14.

Polish laws on mass murder really means Ukraines laws on unintentional manslaughter through negligence
    Classic and I thought this was going to be an interesting subject
    Then again it is sort of interesting as I am going to the Galway airshow on Sunday , I hope none of these eastern European mass murderers disturb me while I am drinking on the beach

I think intentionally planning for, stalking, and raping then killing one young girl is much more murderous than being too adventurous in an airshow and accidentally killing seventy people.

Now Im all for tough sentences and even a more liberal use of the death penalty but intent is what matters in deciding justice, not the body count.

Now Im all for tough sentences and even a more liberal use of the death penalty but intent is what matters in deciding justice, not the body count.
    I agree with Panzer on this one.

Sukhoi Su-27 fighter jet
    Haven't that type of aircraft crashed at other airshows?

Quote Originally Posted by Tribesman
    Polish laws on mass murder really means Ukraines laws on unintentional manslaughter through negligence
    Well, OR it means polish(or fine tune) the laws on mass murder.

Then again it is sort of interesting as I am going to the Galway airshow on Sunday , I hope none of these eastern European mass murderers disturb me while I am drinking on the beach
    I hope so too.

Quote Originally Posted by Martinus
    Haven't that type of aircraft crashed at other airshows?
    The best and worst feature of Russian fighter aircraft - they allow the pilot to really, really push the limits. Where a fully modernized western plane will refuse to go outside set limits the Russian machines let you try stuff that could literally tear the aircraft apart. If the pilot makes a mistake there's no computer that takes over.

Or so I've been told.

14 years sounds a bit harsh for unintentionally causing deaths, but I don't know how harsh Ukranian law is on average.
    If you're fighting fair you've made a miscalculation.

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PanzerJager
    I think intentionally planning for, stalking, and raping then killing one young girl is much more murderous than being too adventurous in an airshow and accidentally killing seventy people.

Completely agree, if it was intended it would have been a suicide fighter-bomber terrorist attack, not an accident brought on by criminal negligence.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

BP you were half-right

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lviv#20th_century

Nazi forces invaded Poland on September 1, 1939 and the German 1st Mountain Division reached the suburbs of Lwów on September 12 and began a siege. The city's garrison was ordered to hold out at all cost since the strategic position prevented the enemy from crossing into the Romanian Bridgehead. Also, a number of Polish troops from Central Poland were trying to reach the city and organise the defence there. Thus a 10 days long defence of the city started and later became known as yet another Battle of Lwów. On September 19 a Polish diversionary attack under General Władysław Langner was launched and was unsuccessful. Soviet troops (part of the forces which had invaded on September 17 under the Nazi-Soviet pact) replaced the Germans around the city. On the 23rd Langner formally surrendered to Soviet troops under Marshal Timoshenko.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

BP triumphs again!

Crusading historian Member cegorach's Avatar

Let's say so...