Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Need help installing on new comp

Weird Organism Senior Member Drisos's Avatar

Default Re: Need help installing on new comp

Welcome to the .org Saigo!! and welcome to the sword dojo! glad you solved it!

welcome Blueshade! please post that same post in apothecary and you'll get more help I guess. that forum is for tech problems. I really hope you solve it.

Hello Kurando, pleased to meet you! You were a Tenki too, right? sora and warpriest are here too. I hope to see them in mp soon. you want some shogun mp too, or only want sp? if intrested check for the new fakeserver at the 'stw mp' forum. congrats on solving the problem.

- Chu - Gi - Makoto - Rei - Jin - Yu - Meiyo -

Senior Member Senior Member Kurando's Avatar

drisos;

Nah mate I was never in a clan; I had to stay impartial because I was the admin here during the S:TW days. I certainly remember tenki_warpriest though, a fine warrior.

All the best,
    K-man.
    Modern civilization is a vast conspiracy against silence

Oh what a stupid mistake of mine... Sorry Kurando

So you once were admin here? Cool. Are you playing any TW now or are you just here keeping contact with some old friends? Many of the old stw players think Rome isn't worth playing and play MTW or nothing at all now... I'm just new to stw mp.

p.s: you have the greatest avatar of the entire .org!

Quote Originally Posted by drisos
    Oh what a stupid mistake of mine... Sorry Kurando

So you once were admin here? Cool. Are you playing any TW now or are you just here keeping contact with some old friends? Many of the old stw players think Rome isn't worth playing and play MTW or nothing at all now... I'm just new to stw mp.

p.s: you have the greatest avatar of the entire .org!
    I'd have to say that Rome TW is pretty awesome + the idea any old school mark likes S:TW better is a bit confusing to me. I'm not sure on the MP level, but as far as Single Player goes R:TW is superior, imo.

Thanks for the compliment on the icon, I'd have to say that on the whole that I am prouder of that little yellow "battlefield award" that is just below the icon. It stands for 500 competitive victories + I really worked for it, I'll tell ya! Twaz a labour of love though + S:TW MP was a really great game in it's hayday. I'm glad to see that there are some diehards keeping the tradition alive.

I think I'll graciously bow out of the invitation to enter the S:TW MP arena, at this time I have other commitments. -Thanks anyway, I have seen some of your other posts and I'd say that you are a real gentleman, drisos. It's been nice getting to know you.
    Last edited by Kurando; 08-24-2005 at 18:03.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurando
    I'd have to say that Rome TW is pretty awesome + the idea any old school mark likes S:TW better is a bit confusing to me. I'm not sure on the MP level, but as far as Single Player goes R:TW is superior, imo.
    Yes I was talking about MP only.

Thanks for the compliment on the icon, I'd have to say that on the whole that I am prouder of that little yellow "battlefield award" that is just below the icon. It stands for 500 competitive victories + I really worked for it, I'll tell ya! Twaz a labour of love though + S:TW MP was a really great game in it's hayday. I'm glad to see that there are some diehards keeping the tradition alive.

That is indeed something to be very proud of!! but I'm a bit confused - are those stw battles? (or other TW) In total I played only 2 competitive battles, of which I won 2. Probably because I'm just too new to have played more... Well, respect to you for those victories! You must be a great warrior.

It's been nice getting to know you.
    Thanks. It's been nice getting to know you.

Quote Originally Posted by drisos
    That is indeed something to be very proud of!! but I'm a bit confused - are those stw battles? (or other TW) In total I played only 2 competitive battles, of which I won 2. Probably because I'm just too new to have played more... Well, respect to you for those victories! You must be a great warrior.
    Yeah they were all, S:TW battles, I have never played any other Total War MP.

I think my competitive record was 509 and 96, but I wasn't all that great; there were some players whom I could almost never beat. I'd say that AMP was probably the best online player I ever fought; I don't think I ever beat him; he was so sound that there was virtually no weakness to exploit, even if you picked a better army for the conditions he was so fundimentally solid that I just couldn't get him down and out. Magyar Kahn was a close second; he was extremely inventive and he'd come at you in ways that you couldn't anticipate; Magyar Kahn wasn't as dangerous as AMP but I found it more unnerving to play him because you never knew what he was going to do, and everthing he did was designed to hurt you.

Surprisingly Tosa gave me a really hard time too, he didn't have a reputation as a elite player, but he used to drive me crazy because I could almost never get the upper hand on him. I guess I'd consider him my arch rival in S:TW, but he never knew it.

Anyhoo, there were some insanely good MP players back then; those "Lonely Wolves" guys were stone killers, and so were the old school Clan Celtiberos guys + to a man I found them almost impossible to beat. In brief, there were some great warriors in the S:TW ranks, but I was never one of them.

Yeah they were all, S:TW battles, I have never played any other Total War MP.
    Me neither.

Well I heard many stories about elite players... and I hear different names every time... I think every player has it's own weakness and has it's own players he cannot beat easily so, ...

Am I mistaking or is 'Magyar Khan' the leader of the 'Grey wolves'? I never heard of AMP, but Tosa is still around.(as you of course knew) I guess he's too busy with his admin job here and other TW to play some stw mp with us. Sasaki isn't playing atm don't know why. (but you might not know him as he started playing stw mp rather late I thought.)

Hey, sorry to interrupt, but I finally got a new computer, and of course the first thing I reach for to put on is S: TW. I (ver very) sadly don't have WE, keep that it mind. Anyway, I installed it and it was doing fine, however, it wasn't the same as before, so I downloaded the v1.12 patch. Since then it's been freaking out on me. The first problem was when I was loading a battle. It said Hard sprites failed to load, and I think something about being out of video memory. Then it closed on me. It's only said that a couple of times, but a lot of my battles have units dissapearing, and green/brown barriers blocking my view. Also, in the menu, the screen flickers, except where there's movement it sort've refreshes (if I drag my mouse over it, it leaves a trail of non-flicker). I checked for Starforce and I don't have it. Is it a diagnoseable problem, or do I have to reinstall it without the patch?

Welcome to the .org and welcome to sword dojo!!

I never heard of this problem. Reinstalling might solve it but I doubt that as you just installed it...

I hope someone else knows how to help you and you will fix it.

..fears no adversary Senior Member Jochi Khan's Avatar

Hi Chosokabe Clan

The screen flicker............

I know this problem.

Nothing to do with your install or the patch v1.12.

Its your firewall.

Are you running Windows XP SP2?

Are you running Zone Alarm?

If you have windows firewall go to Exceptions and enable the Shogun prog to access the internet.

Zone Alarm should give a pop-up asking you to allow Shogun program to access the internet. You need to tick the...remember this...box.

Edit: These settings are only for when you play STW online. Please remember to reset them back to what they were when you have logged off shogun.
    Good luck

Jochi
    Last edited by Jochi Khan; 08-28-2005 at 13:21.
    R.I.P Great Warrior Ja mata TosaInu

sat at the..Nomad Alliance..campfire

Do your best and do it according to your own inner standard
    --call it conscience--
    not just according to society's knowledge and judgement of your deeds.

Thanks! I'll try that. btw, this isn't my first time here, I signed up a while ago, this is just my first post. I've posted on the other S: TW forums. The screen didn't flicker before I downloaded the patch though, so I thought it was the patch. I've never done multiplayer either, so I've never had to connect.

Thanks for the info Jochi! I've seen more have this problem.

hope you solve it now.

Hmm - I'm one of the "more" - I've got Shogun unblocked by my firewall, and still I get the problem. However - for some reason Zone Alert doesn't pop-up when I block then unblock Shogun - maybe I ticked "remember this" on unblock before, & forgot about it...

Either way - it's unblocked & the problem persists, any ideas?

The Bad News: That wasn't my problem. Sometimes it doesn't give me the dialog box, but it will still close down if the battle has a large variety of units. Here's the dialog box I get:
    Hard Sprites Failed to Load |X|
    DDERR_OUTOFVIDEOMEMORY (8876017C)
    |OK|

Lightbulb Re: Need help installing on new comp

More related info:

#####

YES!!! To anyone else having this problem, it has nothing to do with mov, mpg or compatibility options. Follow the link provided by drisos (above), scroll down to the link in the post that discusses STARFORCE, follow the instructions and return to Japan! Incidentally, the STARFORCE removal utility may be found at http://www.onlinesecurity-on.com/sea...arch=Find&art=.
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=52441

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=53043

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=46510

http://p223.ezboard.com/fshoguntotal...cID=5262.topic

#####

Hope it is of any help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chosokabe Clan
    The Bad News: That wasn't my problem. Sometimes it doesn't give me the dialog box, but it will still close down if the battle has a large variety of units. Here's the dialog box I get:
    Hard Sprites Failed to Load |X|
    DDERR_OUTOFVIDEOMEMORY (8876017C)
    |OK|

That seems Like a self explanitory sentance,

You dont seem to have enough Video ram,
    if you use on board GFX maby you would need to Asign more ram to it in your Bios,
    Or reducing GFX detail and resolution in game could help.

And if your unit types display looks like A wooden back ground "whilst in battle"
    Then your probably running in software mode,
    i dont advise any 1 to run stw in software mode, As you loose A lot of features, Including mouse look,
    not to mention map editing abilaty.

Check your options.
    Last edited by Shambles; 10-14-2005 at 14:22.

More related info:

#####

http://p223.ezboard.com/fshoguntotalwarfrm1

Another possible cause of this problem is that you don't have enough memory to run shogun. If you have an old computer with few RAM or you just have a lot of other programs running this might be the case. Shut off other programs to solve this. If you need those other programs so can't shut them off, increase your virtual memory. To do that, go to windows system configuration and click 'virtual memory'. In there tick the box 'choose your own virtual memory settings' and set the max and min number of virtual memory to the same amount of MB. 500 MB should be more then enough. Click ok and try running shogun again.

#####

Hope it is of any help.

Here I get all psyched to play Shoggie all day tomorrow and I've run into a major technical problem!!! I've not played STW WLE since mid-July. Yesterday, I pop in my WLE CD, in order to practice for today's games and discover that STW WLE will not open!! I've been getting the same problem the fellow who started this thread had. I pop in my WLE CD, the options screen comes up, I click on 'play STWLE' , then the logo box pops up...then nothing happens!!!

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the program. I uninstalled every game program I've had since I last played STW WLE. My System Restore points don't seem to be working. I've run Spybot and McAffee Antivirus. I don't have a firewall, nor a router, nor am I on a networked PC. As Drisos and others can attest, I've played plenty of STW WLE on this very same PC. Yet now I can't get the bloody thing to even start!!!

Shambles tried to help me out a bit earlier this morning, to no avail. I tried the Starforce uninstall utility, but it claims that Starforce is not on my system. I've always had WMV as my default media player and I even double checked that it was still defaulting every media type. I suspect that the most likely culprit is Chessmaster 9000, which I installed on Thursday and uninstalled early today. I suspect that Chessmaster 9000 features a program like Starforce, because the game's readme file indicates that it has a security measure that requires that a player use their CD six times, in order to authenticate true ownership. I uninstalled Chessmaster 9000, even made sure to check the registry...though something there (associated with CM9000) might've escaped my scrutiny. This problem is still persisting and it's driving me absolutely mad!!! Someone help me please!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The Path to Salvation is narrow, and as difficult to walk as the razor's edge.
    -W. Somerset Maugham from The Razor's Edge
    (Note: Not a religious thing, just something I hold as axiomatic)
    If he fires me, I'll thank him for it- James Bond, 'The Living Daylights'

I figured it out....and absolutely screamed when I figured it out!!!!!! It was my frakkin Logitech Webcam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I got the idea to simply disconnect it, after coming across something Shambles posted somewhere about Logitec Control software causing a conflict with STW WLE!!!!! Thanks to Shambles!!!! He ended up solving the problem after all!! Mind ya, I've been wrestling with this issue since early afternoon yesterday and it's now 7:47AM the next day!!!:x

So, in nutshell and especially because I never saw a direct reference to a conflict involving Logitech Webcams, but simply Logitech related software. If anyone encounters this problem and has a Logitec Webcam, you need simply unplug it and restart your system to play STW WLE. There's no need to uninstall the Logitech Webcam itself, simply unplug and reboot; then you'll be ready to rock and roll!!:D

By the way...I really wish I had known the solution were that simple yesterday afternoon. I would've gotten plenty of practice time in for today's games and I would'nt have uninstalled three other programs...two of which I invested a good deal of time into!!!>:

On the upshot...I really did get to know my PC a bit more than I did yesterday!;)
    The Path to Salvation is narrow, and as difficult to walk as the razor's edge.
    -W. Somerset Maugham from The Razor's Edge
    (Note: Not a religious thing, just something I hold as axiomatic)
    If he fires me, I'll thank him for it- James Bond, 'The Living Daylights'

Toh-GAH-koo-reh Member Togakure's Avatar

Good to hear you resolved it Meth m8, and thanks for posting the resolution here as it will likely help others who run into the same thing. Nice to see 47s active again in the community--now if I can only find some time, get my disks, install and get playing again myself ... gah! Me ENVIOUS.
    Be intent on loyalty
    While others aspire to perform meritorious services
    Concentrate on purity of intent
    While those around you are beset by egoism

misc kanryodo

I got kinda scared when I read your first post m8!! Luckily the second said it was already over Glad to hear that. Now lets play

I found one post that refereed to the same problem and the solution was to upgrade the safedisk driver. (at Macrovision)
    Another possible solution.

Credit goes to rzajac.

STW problems...?

Check this out..
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...ewpost&t=58698

In A Fortress With Thousands Of Cavalry Protecting Gates

I would have been back a while ago... but i can no longer find my WE disc 1 i dont know where to look have been looking for ages im going to make 1 final house tear up ... then i give up... and find it when i find it but if i dont find it ill still be around here ... i will probably end up getting rome or medieval total war...
    Until Next Time

[QUOTE=HoH Mystic]I would have been back a while ago... but i can no longer find my WE disc 1 i dont know where to look have been looking for ages im going to make 1 final house tear up ... then i give up... and find it when i find it but if i dont find it ill still be around here ... i will probably end up getting rome or medieval total war...QUOTE]

Please don't give up m8! a) FIND YOUR DISK!!!!!!!! or b) get yourself a new copy

but never do c) buy rome or d) leave

serious, I don't want to miss you much longer then I already have... get back over here!

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Need help installing on new comp

Hello,

New member Rascal just posted this question in the Entrance Hall:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rascal
    Shogun wont run at all. I reinstalled it, swept for StarForce, patched it and changed compatability mode to Windows 95 and 98 but nothing. When I double click on the desktop icon to start the game the 1st screen comes up of the logo so it looks like its going to load. Then it crashes back to desktop and gives me an error report to send to Microsoft every time. Im at a total loss. Here is the thread I followed to try and fix this issue
    (Link)
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Originally just outside of Detroit, now in Orlando.

Hey guys just posting here to try and find some more info. I'm having a very similar problem as the original thread here and I did everything that everyone posted to try. I cant get Shogun to work yet. Shogun wont run at all. I reinstalled it, swept for StarForce, patched it and changed compatability mode to Windows 95 and 98 but nothing. I tried it without changing compatibility and that wont work either. When I double click on the desktop icon to start the game the 1st screen comes up of the logo so it looks like its going to load. Then it crashes back to desktop and gives me an error report to send to Microsoft every time. Im at a total loss. I need any help i can get. Thanks in advance for any leads you guys can throw my way.

Clan Takiyama Senior Member R'as al Ghul's Avatar

When I double click on the desktop icon to start the game the 1st screen comes up of the logo so it looks like its going to load. Then it crashes back to desktop and gives me an error report to send to Microsoft every time.
    What kind of error?
    Could you post a screenshot or write it down?

Singleplayer: Download beta_8
    Multiplayer: Download beta_5.All.in.1
    I'll build a mountain of corpses - Ogami Itto, Lone Wolf & Cub
    Sometimes standing up for your friends means killing a whole lot of people - Sin City, by Frank Miller

Originally just outside of Detroit, now in Orlando.

Here is the file the error report is including. Dont know how to take a screen shot of the error report but its huge, way to long to type.

C:DOCUME~1\Rascal\LOCALS~1\Temp\eb16_appcompat.txt

Also, I ran something called System Comparison from the Shogun files and it says:

System Comparison

Device Requirment Your System
    CPU Family 80586 Class 0
    CPU Speed 233 1992
    RAM 32 767
    CD-ROM Speed 4x Not Detected
    3Dfx(tm)support Not Required No
    Glide (tm) Not Installed
    Chipset Not Installed
    MMX (tm) Yes Yes

Now I have no idea what this is about. My CD-ROM is 16x or 20x, dont remember. What is CPU Family? I have about 85gigs left on my hard drive. I have no clue what so ever. LEt me know if you need more info. Thanks again...

Clan Takiyama Senior Member R'as al Ghul's Avatar

Here is the file the error report is including. Dont know how to take a screen shot of the error report but its huge, way to long to type.

C:DOCUME~1\Rascal\LOCALS~1\Temp\eb16_appcompat.txt
    It would be interesting to know the content of that text file.
    Please post it.
    Also, I ran something called System Comparison from the Shogun files and it says:
    [...]
    Now I have no idea what this is about. My CD-ROM is 16x or 20x, dont remember. What is CPU Family? I have about 85gigs left on my hard drive. I have no clue what so ever. LEt me know if you need more info. Thanks again...
    Don't worry. The tool from EA that you're using is build for win95 machines.
    It doesn't have a clue what to make of your XP system. the diagnosis is completely worth- and meaningless. Your hardware should be fine.

Singleplayer: Download beta_8
    Multiplayer: Download beta_5.All.in.1
    I'll build a mountain of corpses - Ogami Itto, Lone Wolf & Cub
    Sometimes standing up for your friends means killing a whole lot of people - Sin City, by Frank Miller

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast