Thread: A Guide to Mods, Patches, and bugfixers?

Default A Guide to Mods, Patches, and bugfixers?

I’m not sure if this should go in the Colosseum or here. Though the Welcome sticky said if I’m in doubt, then post here.

Can someone do a guide to mods and bug fixers and patches (official or not), a guide to anything that alters RTW Vanilla? There seems to be a lot of them and information about them is all over the place and it makes my head spin trying to decide which ones to try. I'm on dial-up so I have to do a lot of waiting for the big mods, so knowing if it's probably worth the wait would help.

Also, I installed the CA patch 1.2. Later I came across a thread where a guy said that when he uninstalled RTW and re-installed it, it wouldn't let him install the 1.2 patch cuz it thinks it already has it installed. And everyone that responded to the post seemed to know this already. That kind of info would maybe be best found in a sticky rather than hidden in a thread.

I am interested in using the mods but have only been brave enough to install the player1 bug fixer cuz of the “scarface bug”.

Some things I’d like to know is: if and which ones are cross compatible, which official CA patch they need, what they do, how they improve the game, what problems they have, and where to get them.

That last one may seem like a no-brainer, but I’ve sifted through twcenter and googled looking for RTR, but I usually find version 5.x which needs version 5.1 which needs version 4.2, which needs version 3.yada yada etc. and so on. So I guess that’s another thing that could be included: is there a place to get the full mod or what versions you need and where to get them?

And I’d like to know which ones are the best. That’s probably highly subjective though. Maybe a detailed review of what they improve and known problems would be better than labeling best and better. Then maybe responses to the guide could be reviews of the mods and one could judge from that.

If there already is something like this, can you tell me where it's at.

Thanks.
    "A well-calculated move straight out of Sun Tzu's classic text The Art of War, or my own masterwork, Zapp Brannigan's Big Book of War."

Default Re: A Guide to Mods, Patches, and bugfixers?

Hello, spacekraken. Welcome to the forums. It is nice to see that the stickied threads at the top of the board are occasionally read by some users

I can answer some of your questions. There is a lot of information about mods in development and so forth, however in your position you are probably only interested in completed mods. Those completed mods that have been listed on the Org can be found here.

Details of what they change can normally be found either in their threads or in their release information. If there's nothing available, feel free to ask for the modder to post a copy of their readme.

Most mods require v1.2, with a couple of exceptions. These exceptional mods will typically make people aware that they are for a prior version as it is the basic assumption that mods are for the latest version of RTW (v1.2).

As for RTR, you can find the latest information on their website at www.rometotalrealism.com

As for mod reviews, the idea has been raised before but it remains a contentious one as to the level of critique that should be given. Generally speaking, a quick review of the mod's thread or forum will give you an overview of what people think about it and any problems with it that have arisen.
    Epistolary Richard's modding Rules of Cool
    Cool modders make their mods with the :mod command line switch
    If they don't, then Cool mod-users use the Mod Enabler (JSGME)
    Cool modders use show_err
    Cool modders use the tutorials database Cool modders check out the Welcome to the Modding Forums! thread Cool modders keep backups Cool modders help each other out

Senior Member Senior Member Duke John's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: A Guide to Mods, Patches, and bugfixers?

Praise the Lord! The stickies are actually being read. spacekraken you are an example to us all!

I always read the stickies. Well, most of them. Well, some of them.

I usually hang around the Single Player, RTW Guides, and Entrance Hall sections and almost asked this question there cuz it seemed like the mod section was for questions about making mods not for schmos like me who just like to use them.

The Finished Mod sticky in the Forge looks like what I'm looking for, thanks Epistolary Rich. Maybe that could go into the single player section too or the guide section. With it being in the Forge and with it's name, it looks like a sticky only hardcore modders could use so I probably would have never even looked at it. The moderator Myrddraal even has "The Forge is for Mods in Development" in bold blue for his signature.

The Finished Mod sticky is good. Still an even more extensive guide would be cool. Like I don't see the Darth Vader mod listed in the Finished Mod sticky, and here and there I read how great it is in various posts. It may be under a different name like the Player1 bug-fixer isn't called the "Player1 patch" there though that's what I heard it called and that's what I know it as.

Maybe instead of reviews, if there were a regularly updated schmo-friendly Guide, then calls for general praise could be given, and people could praise their favorite mods and nothing negative can be said. That way one could discern by seeing that if Mod A has only 2 people saying anything, and Mod B has 300 people saying something, that Mod B maybe worth checking out.
    "A well-calculated move straight out of Sun Tzu's classic text The Art of War, or my own masterwork, Zapp Brannigan's Big Book of War."

Well, the Finished mods sticky only encompasses those mods that are developed here on the Org, Darthmod has its forum over on TWC. As for bug-fixer, well, that was his name for it.

Anything else that gets more mods out into the mainstream community is fine by me! You just need to convince the single player moderators that it's a good idea as well!
    Cool modders use the tutorials database Cool modders check out the Welcome to the Modding Forums! thread Cool modders keep backups Cool modders help each other out

Everything should be on the org. Cuz I like the org the best.

I'll go back to Single Player and see what they think.

Bug Hunter Senior Member player1's Avatar

Well, I think the real problem with SP forum is just there are too many old treads that are sticked, while leads to loss of focus. Most of those old thread (like senate or diplomacy one) need to be desticked and then added to forum index thread as links (that is sticked). That will leave a room for more recent and relevant stickies to be added.

Just a suggestion...
    BUG-FIXER, an unofficial patch for both Rome: Total War and its expansion pack

Since I'm too lazy to find where the answer in these many threads, can I aski it here ?

1. If I install RTM will the vanilla RTW dissapeared

or

2. Do I have to install new RTW (without uninstalling) old one if I want to keep them (many save games that I havent finished yet)

Regards,

Sid Vicious
    Say: O unbelievers, I serve not what you serve, nor do you serve what I serve, nor shall I serve what you are serving, nor shall you be serving what I serve.
    To you your religion, and to me my religion.

What's RTM?

RTR .. sorry
    Say: O unbelievers, I serve not what you serve, nor do you serve what I serve, nor shall I serve what you are serving, nor shall you be serving what I serve.

Any RTR team here ? Need a quick advice. I'm installed 5.2 , 5.4 and 5.41 and somehow I forgot to install 5.3 . There an error message comes when and the screen halts before the movie starts. Is there a quick remedy iso uninstalling the whole lot n start installing everything from scratch again ?

Cheers.

No, to my knowledge no RTR team members visit this forum. Go to the forums on the link I gave you.

Quote Originally Posted by LestaT
    Any RTR team here ? Need a quick advice. I'm installed 5.2 , 5.4 and 5.41 and somehow I forgot to install 5.3 . There an error message comes when and the screen halts before the movie starts. Is there a quick remedy iso uninstalling the whole lot n start installing everything from scratch again ?
    Just start installing again starting with 5.2, then 5.3+5.4+5.41. From what I remember that should work.