Thread: Help me design my Japanese garden

The Anger Shaman of the .Org Content Manager Voigtkampf's Avatar

Default Help me design my Japanese garden

I am currently gathering advices on how to create my own garden with certain Japanese elements of gardening. I have an absolutely flat, unused stripe of land, some 20 meters in width and 120 meters in length. I want to make it a place where I can stroll, sit and read, relax and contemplate.

So please, if you have any interesting garden designs or elements to suggest, please do so. Pictures would be very nice and I would be more than happy to consider your propositions.
    Last edited by Voigtkampf; 06-26-2005 at 16:42.

Today is your victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings, The Water Book

Default Re: Help me design my Japanese garden

Man I'd love to do that. From what I recall it seems a lot is done with sand and gravel sculptured with a rake to create designs in the medium.

I could certainly live with this....

http://www.explorejapan.com/jgardens.htm

Hai ....Voigtkampf-san
    Last edited by InsaneApache; 06-26-2005 at 20:11.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Toh-GAH-koo-reh Member Togakure's Avatar

This has actually--like many Japanese pratices, been cultivated (haha ... forgive the pun) to a "fine science." I remember seeing an excellent, illustrated article on the basic principles and elements that are applied by the Japanese in a Japanese garden, in an encyclopedia Brittannica, of all places. I remember it describing various elements that mimicked natural elements: mountains and hills, lakes, rivers, forests and plains--that were incorporated into the garden via landscaping--mounds, ponds, moss and groundcover, and stones of widely varying sizes. The illustration alone conveyed the general idea very well.

Unfortunately the article was not online, so I cannot provide a link. When I have some more time I will do a search of my Japaneezy online resources and see if I can find anything on the subject. It's something that I've been meaning to do for some time anyway.

Good luck with your garden.
    Be intent on loyalty
    While others aspire to perform meritorious services
    Concentrate on purity of intent
    While those around you are beset by egoism

misc kanryodo

Thanks, InsaneApache-san, I googled that very page myself, btw!

I think I will get myself a book on that, but I would certainly love to know what elements (like that stone lamp) may be incorporated into a garden. I believe a small pond with fishes will make its appearance, but it will not be big enough to warrant bridges!

Besides, I was wandering; with what sort of greenwork should I surround the garden to give it more privacy? It should be at least 2 meters tall, btw. I would hate to make a wooden fence, but will do that if no other alternative shows.

Today is your victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

Member Senior Member Proletariat's Avatar

Have you seen this site?

I think it's pretty helpful.

http://www.jgarden.org/default.asp

For England and St.George Senior Member ShadesWolf's Avatar

Two books I have on the subject

Creating Japanese gardens
    - Philip Cave
    ISBN 1-85410-423-3

The art of Japanese Gardens
    - Herb Gustafson
    ISBN 0-7153-0986-2
    ShadesWolf
    The Original HHHHHOWLLLLLLLLLLLLER

Im a Wolves fan, get me out of here......

Thank you, Proletariat, a wonderful site with a great deal of good photo-material.

Shadeswolf-senpai, both books promise a lot. I will order Cave first, and see what will come of it.

For England and St.George Senior Member ShadesWolf's Avatar

Just a thought.

check out your local Garden centre, they usually have a book section and that is where I get most of my garden books from.

It might save u a few pennys if the book is not what your require.
    ShadesWolf
    The Original HHHHHOWLLLLLLLLLLLLER

Im a Wolves fan, get me out of here......

Once created, the Japanese garden should be understated and to a large extent, unchanging apart from seasonal depiction. for example, the Cherry Blossom depicts Spring and the Japanese Maple becomes its most striking in Autumn.
    Bamboos are structurally very interesting and with a light breeze add wonderful shimmering sounds as they sway elegantly. Conifers, particularly Pine should also have a place. You should also consider shade and moisture as much use is made of moss.
    That is a nice large plot so I would definitely suggest a large Koi pond with perhaps a nice bridge and possibly some small structure ( tea house etc ) where you can sit and contemplate

.......Orda