Thread: Anarchists set to plunge the country into chaos...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Viceroy of the Indian Empire Member Duke Malcolm's Avatar
    Dùn Dèagh, the People's Republic of Scotland, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

Default Anarchists set to plunge the country into chaos...

Plots, paranoia and Monty Python... inside the world of G8 anarchists

SCOTT MCCULLOCH
    Scotland on Sunday

A SIX-MONTH investigation by Scotland on Sunday into the heart of the G8 protest movement has uncovered the often cranky, yet deadly serious face of anarchists and dissenters who want to bring the meeting of world leaders to a standstill.

Their preparations for the July 6-8 summit at Gleneagles include a series of training camps being held this weekend to teach activists how to break into the Faslane naval base on the Clyde, in a protest timed for Monday, July 4. They will be taught fence-cutting techniques, how to climb over razor wire and how to avoid being injured by guard dogs.

Meanwhile, 'factories' have been set up in Edinburgh and Glasgow to manufacture 'lock-on tubes' - devices which protesters wear on their arms to hinder police attempts to clear them from road blockades.

Mission control for the disruption during the summit will be an 'eco-village' at Forthbank, near Stirling, which was approved by the local authority and Central Police on Friday.

The plans are ambitious and there is no doubt Scotland could be plunged into chaos even if they only partially succeed.

But there have also been moments of unintended comedic brilliance straight out of a Monty Python sketch. The groups planning the disruption pride themselves on their non-hierarchical decision-making structure. At meetings, the organisers shun the use of a table as it is regarded as too corporate.

The words 'yes' and 'no' appear to have been banished in this strange world as a means of indicating approval or disapproval. Instead, they wave both hands in the air - up to agree, down to disagree. Then there is the ever-present fear of infiltration. Planners hide surnames from one another and detailed discussions about direct action are restricted to tight-knit huddles of only the most trusted activists.

It is clear, though, that a major tactic will be to block roads leading from Edinburgh, Glasgow, Dundee and Perth to Gleneagles to prevent administrative staff from reaching the hotels where world leaders and their aides will be staying. Crucial sites for road closure have already been scouted, down to the specific road sign poles that will be used to link chained demonstrators.
    Oh for the love of God..
    I am dreading these coming weeks now... there will be a severe lack of police, what with Tayside Police b*ggering off to Gleneagles, and whatever is left going to Edinburgh to aid Lothian Police. The anarchists will block the roads to Gleneagles, which generally consists of the A90, the A9, and the M90. unfortunate is it that these roads are the roads west (to Perth), further west (to Stirling, Glasgow, and England) and south (Edinburgh) of Dundee, so I shall be stuck in Dundee, unable to visit my Grandparents in Glasgow... and there shall be hell on the streets here with the neds running around, un-checked by the Police...
    It was not theirs to reason why,
    It was not theirs to make reply,
    It was theirs but to do or die.
    -The Charge of the Light Brigade - Alfred, Lord Tennyson

"Wherever this stone shall lie, the King of the Scots shall rule"
    -Prophecy of the Stone of Destiny

"For God, For King and country, For loved ones home and Empire, For the sacred cause of justice, and The freedom of the world, They buried him among the kings because he, Had done good toward God and toward his house."
    -Inscription on the Tomb of the Unknown Warrior

Default Re: Anarchists set to plunge the country into chaos...

I have a feeling that's a gross overestimation.

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

Wink Re: Anarchists set to plunge the country into chaos...

Quote Originally Posted by NeonGod
    I have a feeling that's a gross overestimation.
    indeed.....we´ve all have heard these terror stories of the "caos that is to come", from various country´s and cities were this has happened before, and it as never really happened, sure there are protests, but never to the scale that is advertised in advance
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

The advantage of facing arnachists at times like this is that they are, by definition, disorganised.

Anyway they will all just get wasted and forget about the plan.

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BDC
    The advantage of facing arnachists at times like this is that they are, by definition, disorganised.

Anyway they will all just get wasted and forget about the plan.
    Actually, I was thinking along the opposite lines. Does anybody else see the irony of "Okay boys, in order to promote our anarchism, we have to drill night and day, regimental style".
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Blog Entries

Well Exactly, its not really Anarchy, anarchy is chaos, it has no form, and no common plan whatsoever. As soon as one guy asks another guy that they need to work together than it is no longer anarchy... Why would anyone protest an organization that monetarily funds some of the most destitute parts of the world?

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone
    Actually, I was thinking along the opposite lines. Does anybody else see the irony of "Okay boys, in order to promote our anarchism, we have to drill night and day, regimental style".
    Derridarian deconstruction.