Thread: an idea for samurai animation

Default an idea for samurai animation

please excuse the title spelling mistake as my spelling absolutely sucks.

ok, a few hours ago, i was outside walking around with a metal stick, trying out samaruai-ic moves having recently seeing 'the last samuri'. and then, it struck me . . . an idea to make a animation for samurais!

i have no experience in animating and dont really know how . . . but if one of u blue lotus people are good enough, here's my idea:
    this is a fantasy mod right? in many movies/games, samurai are depicted as holding the sword in the sheith, until the actual battle, i think this is probally ahistorical, and i dont know if u guys either want to do this or have a plan already, but my idea is:

the samurai has a primary attack and a sec, the sec will be with the katana/sword and the pri will be with an invisible rock, imagine: the samurai walks into battle one had on shieth (sp?) the other on the hilt of the sword, when close enough, they will use their primary attack and the animation will be them drawing their swords and releasing a alpha channeled rock that does 0 damage to the enemy. they they will charge with the sword the just drew out in the animation . . . this can be done in many ways using this method, but is it possible? do u care?
    Last edited by hoggy; 06-22-2005 at 14:38. Reason: clarity

Senior Member Senior Member hoggy's Avatar

Default Re: an idea for samurai animation

hmm, may be a little complicated. The sword staying in the sheath idea i like though.

Senior Member Senior Member hoggy's Avatar

ps, do you mind if i move this to the animation thread?

there's an animation thread? sure, this is an animation topic . . . .

You could also do this with the simple *Ready* animation all units have. You could perhaps have the sword in the sheith *Sheith is bigger, so it won't cut out.* And since you aren't using the cloak bones, you could use the bottom cloak bone to be attatched to the sword, and not the wrist bone (Credit to Duke John for the idea). Once the ready animation is set off, the model will reach into the sheith with his arm, upon then the Cloak Bone will basically follow where ever the arm goes. I'm not sure if this is more or less complicated, and it would require making all battle animations using the cloak bone along with the hand bone, so I dunno if you'll use it or not. Just my 2 cents.

I would think the samurai would be holding their sword double-handed if they attacking demonic creatures etc as they would be trying to kill them quickly.

i have no idea how to animate, so i dont really know wat u mean by cloak bone. . ..
    and as for the two-handed, could they have an animation to pull out the sword, grab with both hads and then charge with two handed and attack two handed?