Thread: I need a "historical recap"!

Default I need a "historical recap"!

Here we are playing a historical game that has no history! I'd like a "great deeds" scroll that I could open up (off the family tree page?), that would say things like "250 BC, Flavius Spurius wins Heroic Battle against Anartaxes (Greek) at Athens, Athens taken by Flavius Spurius." "220 BC, Memphis taken by Teos Epiphanes." "219 BC, Memphis lost to Ptolmey (Egypt)" "218 BD, Memphis taken by Teos Epiphanes." etc.

Also, I'd like to be able to see the personal histories of the Family members, especially the dead ones! I've played my Brutii campain to the point that the map is green. I'd love to be able to step back through the history, maybe with the mini-map territory colors changing colors as I step through the years or select a family member, tracing his route across the map.

I had one General who led the Pontic campaign, then subjugated Spain and some of Gaul, who finally died of natural causes in the snow near Deva.

I'm sure he died like Batty from "Blade Runner": "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."

The Lord of Chaos Member ChaosLord's Avatar

Default Re: I need a "historical recap"!

"Memories, you're talking about memories.." Man, what a great movie that was. It would be nice to see a log or something similar to it, would really be nice to look back on the decisive battles and military geniuses your empire created. But as the AI can't even remember its attacking places when you load games, and that CA doesn't think campaign battle replays were something fans wanted, it seems unlikely to happen for any of R:TWs expansions, or the next TW game. :(
    "Every good communist should know political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao tse-Tung

Failing this, you should be able to write a short comment on their life when a family member dies, which can then be accessed from the family info scroll.
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

Dammit, they should just include a feature that records all your battles large and small, the numbers involved and the casualty lists, AND lets you append battle honours to a call-up scroll that unfurls every family member you click. That way you can also comment on the relative importance of the battles you fought and lets you remember. Otherwise dead generals are just forgotten, like the C-Beams before Tannhauser Gate.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

pezhetairoi, since we're dreaming we might as well wish for the battle recorder to keep track of individual units, from the date made to the date combined/destroyed.

eg.
    Army Name---Unit Type----------------------------Decorations------------Date Formed---Date Destroyed-----Location of Remaining Members
    -------------(player added+pre-determined)
    Legio X Victus---Legionaries---Held line at [random place]; outstanding valour (auto)---222BC---Merged with Legio XIV Roma 201BC---Legio XIV Roma

[/dreams]
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

robotica erotica Member Colovion's Avatar

all these things would be awesome

I remember wishing for AoK style graphs for the different factions vs eachother and in RTW they were there. Expanding on that stuff like being able to click on a Family Member after they die and see what their details of their reign was; or alternatively doing the same when clicking on the Timeline Details and getting, as stated above, a Historical Recap.

Ohhhh so many possibilities.
    robotica erotica

I believe sometimes we get something in the way of a recap in the speeches before battles sometimes............but only in the Roman campaigns.I think it was FrogBeastEgg who once posted on a speech made by her General before a battle.The General and all the units had been together for a long long time and battled their way across half the map before getting attacked by a much superior force.The General proceeded to make a speech about how he valued the men, how they had been together all these years and about their families back home and the likelihood that they would never see them again.
    I know it's not what you had in mind but it's the closest thing this game is gonna give us to it.It was one hell of a speech if you can find it here somewhere.
    "Go tell the Spartans,stranger passing by that here,obedient to their laws we lie."

Heck, I think the speeches are one of the best parts of the whole game. And I would love to see that speech Madam Froggy posted.

But...do you think CA has even thought about a full record of events? Because I would love that too. Keeping track of my RTR game as Armenia. I think that would have been great to count the number of times I was overextended and all the Ptolemaics had to do was attack, and I would have been DOA.

Ah well...if wishes were fishes...

Azi
    "If you don't want to work, become a reporter. That awful power, the public opinion of the nation, was created by a horde of self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditch digging and shoemaking and fetched up journalism on their way to the poorhouse."
    Mark Twain 1881

My dream come true would be the game taking down historical notes and events. Even being able to export it to a text file would be a nice touch. I wouldn't have to take notes myself to create stories, etc.

At the moment I take notes while I can. Keep myself entertained and interested in playing at the same time.

here's a sample of how I'm taking notes on my Scipii campaign.

http://montinola.org/rome/Scipii_Legions.html

Legio X Sicilia Victrix (Sicily):
    Created by Cornelius Scipio (died 245BC). Stationed in Sicily, spread out on 3 main cities of Syracuse, Lilybaeum and Messana. By 245BC, it's a shadow of itself, no longer a fighting force but contributed in making of the XI Fortuna Legion and Legio XII Campanica, which have some cohorts from the Legio X Sicilia merged with it. Victories (Syracuse, Lilybaeum).

Legio XI Fortuna (garrisoned in Kydonia: Crete):
    Half composed of mercenaries from Sicily and Crete. Stationed in Kydonia itself
    Sworn in by Herius Alimentus, conqueror of Crete and founder of this new legion. Officially created 245BC. Units of this legion already existed before this date. And half of the roman soldiers here were cohorts from the 10th that took Crete. Reduced to size in 244BC of financial problems in Kydonia.

Legio XII Campanica:
    Made in Capua Campania, created by Julianus Scipio (who becme the faction leader winter of 245BC). Officially sworn in Sicily 244BC of recruits from Campania and a few detachment of Legio X Sicilia Victrix.

Scipii Situation of 243BC: Getting poorer every year. They needed new territory and fighting with the Greeks was too far to support. Julianus decided to come back against Carthage whom they have established good trades with. Winter of 243BC Julianus lands with the new XII Legion Campanica on the shores of Carthage. Scipii declared on Carthage.

By 238BC, financially strong again and 12th Legion ready to embark to North Africa led by Kaeso Scipio to help the 10th keep Carthage and start invasion of other northen african provinces.....

Location of legions by 207BC:

-10th Sicilia Victrx in Carthage. Garrison at the border of Numidia and Africa province and in command by Servius Scipio.
    -11th Fortuna in Crete. Led by a Consul, name unknown.
    -12th Campanica in Thapsus. Led by Valerius Quinctus in Thapsus.
    -13th Africana returned to Carthage itself. In command by Augustus Scipio in the city.