Thread: Thermopylae Total War..my mod

Default Thermopylae Total War..my mod

so it`s called : Thermopylae Total War.....It`s about 300 spartans soldiers, leaded by their king Leonidas, who defyed the enourmous persian army (240.000 soldiers) leaded by king Xerxes in 480 BC

In this mod:

Macedonia is now The Greek Cities States
    The Greek Cities is now Sparta
    Seleucid Empire is now Persia
    Pontus is now Phoencia

to move next further with this mod....i wanna know u guys opinion about this mod...confirm me if is a good idea or not...to move further

Default Re: Thermopylae Total War..my mod

btw..Brutii & Scipii i try to "get rid" of them in this mod...

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

'.'

If you wanted to make a mod about one battle, why not make a historical battle?

What would be the win condition? Last until timer runs out?

Be fun to play as the Persians though '.'.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

the Win condition will be to hold 50 regions including all the greek city states and capital Sparta ...i will add some more regions to the greeks as Arcadia,Argos,Ithaca etc....and some more islands in the Aegean Sea.The mod will be more focused in the east....more power,more advanced settlements,more natural resources

for the greeks the win condition will be holding their cities,and destroy the invading persian army

anyway..good idea about historical battle to....only one problem...how can i mod to have 240.000 persian soldiers on the battlefield hahaha (kidding)..don`t know...i haven`t think about historical battle

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

Wrong forum. This belongs in the Forge subforum.

I think a "micro" mod would be interesting - a mod focusing on a very small area, just with great detail.

it seems like a sweet mod, but rather then have it be about one battle. Why not base it on the whole idea of persia trying to invade the spartans as a whole.

Aristotle, Chadalac Muskalaid Member Muska Burnt's Avatar

you can make historical battles how?

and how do you limit the map? Sorry, but I'm a little unsure about this and the Forge forum is a little over my head.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

eh what about creating 2 greek factions the league of the spartans ant the leagua of athens. further persia is good and the phoenicians are cool too. but the hard part is the units. there is not much info about the phoenician units. to make this mod believable you have to do some deep research. i like the idea.

We do not sow.

Summa Rudis Senior Member Catiline's Avatar

Belongs in the mods forum...
    Quo usque tandem abutere, Catilina, patientia nostra

I'm happy for people to discuss ideas for mods in the General forum, as I said here, so I'll leave it here for the moment. If Coldfish ever wants to start it properly then I'll move it over at his request, or alternatively he can start a new thread with his design concepts properly laid out.

Coldfish and anyone else thinking of starting mods, you may find the following threads of interest:
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=35969
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=49609
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=49506
    Epistolary Richard's modding Rules of Cool
    Cool modders make their mods with the :mod command line switch
    If they don't, then Cool mod-users use the Mod Enabler (JSGME)
    Cool modders use show_err
    Cool modders use the tutorials database Cool modders check out the Welcome to the Modding Forums! thread Cool modders keep backups Cool modders help each other out

Eliminated Faction Heir Member Laridus Konivaich's Avatar

Also, it is worth mentioning that there is already at least one mod in development that focuses on the Persian invasion of Greece, AoH. There is another mod that I know of, Persia TW, which focuses on the rise of the Persian Empire.
    Map designer for the Age of Hellas Mod: Age of Hellas Forum

"I vote for closed."
    Two posts later:
    "Argh...I forgot that I actually have to close topics in order for them to close." ~Big King Sanctaphrax link

i highly suggest this be a historical battle, if it were a total conversation it would conflict way too much with persia totalwar or age of hellas total war. this should be but one battle, prehaps a few reskins and new models, for vanilla rtw or prehaps join perisa totalwar or age of hellas and make a historical battle for them that is thermopalye. a total conversation is not needed to simulate one battle. thermopalye was a hisotrical battle anyway. 300 spartans and as many persians as u can get without creating too much lag. not all the persians fought the spartans, so it will be a close enough simulation.

i`m sorry for the wrong topic....but...i thinked that historical battle is a good idea to....only a problem....i can`t put 240.000 persians on the battlefield....therefore, if i will make this historical battle....probably the persians will be 20x240 (maximum unit of mercs in RTW huge scale)...that`s 4800 soldiers,even so....surely the battle will lag out...as for the spartans ,those 300 men...will give them 9 XP and maximum armour...to stand a chance against the persians..who will have 0 armour 0 XP

Mojito maker Member Jimmytwohand's Avatar

Hi coldfish. I was also interested in making a Thermopylae historic battle. I got some good advice in this thread:
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...857#post828857
    about how to block out areas to make them impassable. A big problem i found in my first draft when the attacking army wandered straight up a sheer cliff face and outflanked my spartans....

Regarding the unit size problem, I think the editor will allow you to put 20 x 300 units giving you 6000(EDIT: That is wrong, you were right). Or you could add more than one faction, reflecting the essentially diverse nature of the "Persian" army. As you say this might be laggy on some systems. I was wondering whether there is a way to script the reinforcements so the "Persians" come onto the battlefield in waves. This would allow you to give them a weak starting army of peasants say, and then when they are nearly all routed or destroyed it would trigger the arrival of a tougher Persian force and so on. Whether this is even possible is a big question mark. I havent found any reference to it yet on this forum. I do have tomorrow off and have penciled it in as a day spent drinking mojitos in the garden. As this has captivated my attention i might spend it playing around with this some more...... Ill let you know if i get any conclusions.
    Last edited by Jimmytwohand; 07-01-2005 at 12:11.

I found the following quote in this thread on scripting:https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...reinforcements

"Yes, but most of those scripts are run intro, some are used to keep units marching from place a to place b (siege of sparta) where they are released from script control. In Gergovia the Gauls are ordered to charge, then control is released. The only script controlling units for some time into te(sic) battle is Trebia. There the script only makes the romans march straight to player in formation, and once a unit is close engough(sic) to player's unit, it attacks."
    This seems to provide hope that scripting could be used in a simple way to control the Persian forces on the battlemap. If multiple huge armies could be placed on the map and then be scripted to be freed to attack gradually this should solve the lag problem, shouldnt it? After all i would have thought having many units, only a few of which are actually manouvering at any one time would not be too resource heavy. It would also present a more realistic attack pattern. I have always been a little dissapointed defending a gate, for example when 2000 enemy troops are crammed into a 20mx20m square in front of my defending unit. Then again, my knowledge is basic and i could be totally wrong......

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytwohand
    Hi coldfish. I was also interested in making a Thermopylae historic battle. I got some good advice in this thread:
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...857#post828857
    about how to block out areas to make them impassable. A big problem i found in my first draft when the attacking army wandered straight up a sheer cliff face and outflanked my spartans....

They did this battle on the history channel. (decisive battles) and they made it work without being flanked.

Do you mean they just concentrated on the spartans at the main pass and ignored the outflanking manouver? Or do you mean they got the cliffs to act as cliffs and stop outflanking? Either way this sounds promising. Dsyrow1 has a system to block areas using Adherbal's wall editor. This seems the best solution at the moment.

Any other tips or nice features/problems you could glean from the decisive battles reconstruction? I dont get the history channel at the moment.