Thread: Larger battlemaps?

Terrible Turk Member Little Legioner's Avatar
    Somewhere in Balkans. Collecting younglings for the Janissary corps. Preparing the troops for upcoming war.

Default Larger battlemaps?

Mates just wondering,

Is there any possible way to make the battlefields much more bigger. Is it enigmatic hardcoded by CA? Talented coders can handle it for EB project? or do you expect CA will make them bigger in BI?

Salvetes salutatores

Finest goods and lowest prices in all Cyrodiil.

Wandering Historian Member eadingas's Avatar
    Llanfairpwll- gwyngyll- gogerych- wyrndrobwll- llantysilio- gogogoch

Default Re: Larger battlemaps?

If there was a way, don't you think all the other mods would do it too? Why not ask about it in general modding forum?
    People, EB is not about coding through hardcoded stuff, or changing the gameplay significantly. We are a mod team, not miracle makers or game developers.
    I'm still not here

History Teacher Member Lord Hammerschmidt's Avatar

I believe that it's been stated by CA (although I've conveniently forgotten where) that they have no intention to expand the battlefields in BI. In their opinion, the space past the red line "is already being used" to allow routers to leave the field and not dissappear, and also as an area for reinforcements to wait. Certainly a dissapointing thing, but seems that there's not much that can be done about it.
    Let me go back and face the peril!

Senior Member Senior Member Duke John's Avatar

We are a mod team, not miracle makers or game developers.
    For miracles see the Sengoku Jidai mod

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=49500
    Last edited by Duke John; 06-28-2005 at 14:53.

Altogether quite not there! Member GodsPetMonkey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Duke John

Occam's razor of modding... the simplest solution is often the best, and yours is as simple as they come (it’s so simple, it’s brilliant, if you can’t upscale the map, downscale everything else).

But I have to say that by tweaking the size of the trees, and lowering the area taken up by forests, I have found this makes the battle map seem a lot larger. Perhaps it's just a matter of scale, but I was pleasantly surprised.
    Caligula and Hadrian - Unit and Building editors for Rome: Total War.
    Now editing -
    export_descr_unit.txt, export_descr_unit_enums.txt, export_units.txt, descr_model_battle.txt
    export_descr_buildings.txt, export_descr_buildings_enums.txt, export_buildings.txt

The battle areas for sieges are larger than for normal battles, perhaps there's a way to have a normal battle on a 'siege' scale field. I wonder what it is that determines the size which size the game uses...
    Epistolary Richard's modding Rules of Cool
    Cool modders make their mods with the :mod command line switch
    If they don't, then Cool mod-users use the Mod Enabler (JSGME)
    Cool modders use show_err
    Cool modders use the tutorials database Cool modders check out the Welcome to the Modding Forums! thread Cool modders keep backups Cool modders help each other out

Yes I'v seen DukeJohn's idea for making bigger maps (scale down the size of every object in the game) I think it's a great Idea. It would mean that you couldnt zoom down to the battlefield quite as close but personally I think it would be worth it.

Also for people who it would bother, the camera hack modpack is an excellent way to retain that close-up feeling.

What about city battles? Would all buildings need to be scaled down? Would siege equipment (like towers) be twice as large or scaled down too? How much work is all of this? I'm curious, but just wondering. Bridges can't be scaled down can they? Are people harder to hit with arrows and sling bullets? Harder to hit with swords or spears? Do the look right when you zoom down into the action (with moviecam or something) - meaning do they still fight person to person or are there weird gaps? What about phalanxes? Are there gaps or are there more men in a unit? hehe. lotsa questions. again- just curious.

Somewhere in Balkans. Collecting younglings for the Janissary corps. Preparing the troops for upcoming war.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke John

If you can do this for Sengoku Jidai you can most likely help EB project if want or if they offer it to you. Teleklos Archelaou I understand what your saying but if you work together with Duke John you may come to a solution to your questions.

Bridges can't be scaled down can they? Are people harder to hit with arrows and sling bullets? Harder to hit with swords or spears? Do the look right when you zoom down into the action (with moviecam or something) - meaning do they still fight person to person or are there weird gaps? What about phalanxes? Are there gaps or are there more men in a unit? hehe. lotsa questions. again- just curious.
    If Duke John is successful in solving this problem would you be willing to do this for EBB. I fully believe bigger battlefields will better for EBB project also. Looking forward to hearing the results.

EB insanity coordinator Senior Member khelvan's Avatar

I can't speak for the rest of the group, but I never really considered this idea feasible in the past due to what I assumed to be an incredible amount of time necessary to rescale every object in the game, not to mention to then adjust all the battle stats to rebalance everything. Plus the loss of detail, as objects are harder to see, and the reliance on pixels...

If we want to consider this now, ok, but I always thought it was just too big of a project to add on to our already staggering workload.
    Cogita tute

Senior Member Senior Member Duke John's Avatar

It's feasible for SJ since everything will be redone; ground textures, vegetation and buildings. But SJ has a much smaller focus and redoing all the cultures to a satisfying standard will be a monstrous task indeed. Rescaling buildings won't be much of an issue, but redoing the city maps will be. Sengoku Jidai is focusing on MP gamers and to have 4vs4s without armies lined up from red line to red line something needed to be done. For a single player mod I doubt that it's worth the trouble.

Seems hard to made it. Only the CA can give us this kind of opportunity. If they put an option to make the battlefields 2X or 4X bigger it can be ok.

Thanks for the responses guys.