Thread: Archery as a second weapon?

Post Archery as a second weapon?

Is this possible i've been trying to create a unit of axemen with bows they are normal axemen but have bows as a secondary weapon.Is this possible as i have tried several times both by manual moding and by using caligula but i've failed .If anyone is interested in helping or at least giving me some pointers as i'm quite new at modding rome here is what i'd like to do.

Add 6 units to dacia
    Roxolan noble cavalry, similar in equipment to scythian nobles but better at sword fighting and more heavily armored horses.
    Dacian nobles, heavy infantry well armored and equipted with dacian curbed swords and round shields, the swords are similar to a scimitar but tougher although not as tough as a clasic sword, the roman soldiers feared these swords as most dacians were equiped with them and they used to cut the legs of the legionares who were to heavily armored elswhere
    yazighyan cavalry (replacment for barbarian cavalry)fanatic barbarians dressed in bear skins and weilding 2 axes.
    Carpian infantry barbarian swordsmen armoured in greek hoplite style
    Iashian infantry dismounted scythian asort of spearmen similar to the triarii but in scythian style armour and with round shields
    dacian forester warbands(replacement for chosen archer) chainmail armoured axemen but also good archer's.

Default Re: Archery as a second weapon?

I don't know much about modding, but I know that missile weapons need to be primary weapons. The axes will operate as normal as secondary weapons.

Thank you for the information at least now i can stop trying to do something imposiible

Sounds like a nice mod otherwise. Got any pics for us?

I think you'd need to edit the cas file, naming the bow part of of the model 'secondary weapon' and the other weapon 'primary weapon'. I haven't tried it. after that switch the stat_pri and stat_sec in the text file.

What about war elephants? Isn't their secondary fire archery? When you attack with them you get the sword cursor but they fire automatically as they move.

CeltiberoRamiroI Member Monkwarrior's Avatar
    Salduie/Caesaraugusta/ Sarakusta/Saragossa

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonfrog
    What about war elephants? Isn't their secondary fire archery? When you attack with them you get the sword cursor but they fire automatically as they move.
    No, they are defined with archery as primary weapon.
    I've remarked that siege weapons (ballistas, onagers) are defined with missile as secondary weapon. I think it is the only case and I don't know if this could be used by a clever person.