Thread: Hierarchical topics

Wouldn't it be great to use this opportunity (that the board just went up today) to rush in some empty topics in a well-ordered and hierarchical manner, so that they could serve as placeholders for future messages?
    I guess I really mean: Can we have some (new) subforums? And do we want to?

[This message has been edited by Rodhern (edited 10-29-2000).]

Like what?

------------------
    IRONLUNG
    IRONLUNG

uhmmm... 'the newbie questions' area would be a good start before we get 4 pages of them

uhmmm... 'the newbie questions' area would be a good start before we get 4 pages of them

Who doesn't enjoy newbie questions?

------------------
    IRONLUNG
    IRONLUNG

What is the left mouse button usefull for in the game?

Metha

------------------
    "...Violence is the last resort of the incompetent...
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

oops sorry for the double, but nothing was showing up for an hour, hehe, good start...

but here, i need help: everytime i start a battle, i can never seem to find my peasants, or at least the towncenter to make some, HEEELP please...

muahaha

btw where's the EVIL smiley... i can hardly post without one...

jd :evil

Senior Member Senior Member Erado San's Avatar

Newbie questions, like...

How do I avoid double postings?
    A voice from the past is heard in the lands...

yeah hehehe, hit me where it hurts...

jd

Senior Member Senior Member Obake's Avatar

Be nice to JayDee Erado. He's still getting over being called an Ashigaru again! (That evil grin sure would be nice, guess I could use Ronin's....naaahh!)

Obake
    Obake

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

I don't agree about the 'newbie questions forum' It is like Nazism, you put the good at the top and the newbies aside. I was a newbie someday and I learnt by reading and participating in *expert* posts.

------------------
    Honour to Clan Kenchikuka.

Visit my resource centre at:

http://terazawa_tokugawa.tripod.com/terazawatokugawa

What have newbies to do with Nazis (besides that they both start with "N")? Nobody wants to "put them away" Terazawa. I think you got overdosed in Eurpean History there (did you know that the Nazis wanted to expedite all the "unwanted" to Malta.....) OK I'll stop.

Actually I think it is a good idea to put up something like a "Starter Forum" or "New Player Forum" although I always like to answer to the interesting questions like "Where do I get patch 1.12", "How do I start a game" and my most favorite:"Hey, we are the super duper clan from Ages of Homeworld, how can we kick some butt in STW".
    I'll miss those....
    Humbley,
    ST

------------------
    "Strength and Honor for Clan Kenchikuka"

[This message has been edited by Shimazu Tokugawa (edited 10-30-2000).]
    "Strength and Honor"

The newbie question area is smart. It keeps the different levels of player seperate. Its intimidating when you are a newbie and you want to ask a simple question and you know you are going to get a miles worth of replys saying "what a dumb question" before the answer is actually given. So the newbie will feel safer if they have their own area for questions.
    Lanza
    Shogun Totalwar Hints and Strategies
    www.geocities.com/totalwarshogun
    Please feel free to stop by and contribute your strategies...
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are

Yes..a "starter forum" would be better. I sounds better than a "newbie forum". Sure.

Shimazu, when the Nazi and Italians attacked Malta, we crushed them ! (with the help of the British). Because of its geographical strategic position, Malta had become an important place for the Nazis to take....but we held them out !

------------------

See, I was right with the OD....
    LOL
    Humbley,
    ST

------------------
    "Strength and Honor"

Senior Member Senior Member Obake's Avatar

This is just TOO Funny! JayDee makes a sarcastic comment and the next thing you know we've got Ironlung creating a "newbie forum" (sorry if I've offended you Terazawa )

If JayDee weren't so evil I would put it off to coincidence, but there is a foul emanation coming from the realm of Daidoji!

Realistically though, I don't know that there is a need for a "starter" forum since most would have problems tracking two forums, let alone the volumes of redundant threads on the Community forum.

Might not be a bad idea just to be on the safe side though. Having an area where everyone can ask where to get the latest patch, where to find their CD-key and why they can't beat the campaign on normal would be a good thing!

Obake

[This message has been edited by Obake (edited 10-30-2000).]
    Obake

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Obake,
    It would be a great idea for those very reasons, cd-key and where to get the patch questions are easy to moderate even if in a different section. But when you mis them in with this stuff you get a jumbled mess which is not easy to moderate.

------------------
    Lanza
    Lanza

If you want a newbie forum..HAVE IT !!!!!!!

You didn't offend me Obake.

(If you did I would throw the world at you ! LOL)

lol

------------------

karoshi Senior Member solypsist's Avatar

i dont care for newbies, but they are entitled to ask questions about problems that seem obvious to most....
    there's no law that says we (people who have been playing from the beginning) have to reply to EVERY thread question, despite how we feel about our own expert-ness.
    which is the real reason some people dont like newbies, not the fact that they ask the same Qs over and over, but because we inevitably try to answer these same ones over and over.

I can't think of a better reason to come to this forum than to answer questions from a person who is new to the game. I go to other forums when I buy a game months after the game was released knowing I am a newbie and that others have asked the same things before but I still expect a civil response.

We must all reject the idea that frequent or long time posters are somehow deserving of deference or possess more dignity in the dojo than others. Even lurkers deserve respect because anyone might be dropping by for a look see. Our behavior here reflects upon our hobby and ourselves, even though we remain anonymous.

S:TW is the ONLY thing we all have in common! Newbies and old hands alike. Ostracizing new visitors would not foster a healthy, vibrant forum. I say we deep six the idea...
    Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like bananas.

OK, so everybody who did not get STW on release day (R-day) is a newbie, so I guess for myself I can appreciate the title "cool newbie", thats more than I would get from some of the posters here....

Nelson, which response did you get at these other forums because I wanted to try out Homeworld-C online but I really did not want to mess with the BS in the online play rooms. So I stayed with the AI....for now.
    STW is better anyway, just thinking that I have to take care of harvesters in MP gives me the creeps, too much micromanagement, but I am deviating.

I would really like to know what happens in these other forums especially considering that clans from other games (AoK, HW, HW-C) heve shown up in STW forums with some irrational behaviour, language and requests.
    Maybe thats how it is in the other games...
    Humbley,
    ST

------------------

[This message has been edited by Shimazu Tokugawa (edited 10-31-2000).]
    "Strength and Honor"

Mostly honorable warrior types around here ( go figure! ) who will help out no matter how dumb azzed the thread or post.

They wont hesitate to pull the pizz out of ya thou. lol

Widda.