Thread: Most Memorable Experience

Hey, I'm pretty new to the game and don't have time to play it now so I was just checking the forums. There is a lot of interesting topics here. ^^

Anyway, just to start some chat, what is your most memorable or most exciting battle or experience you've ever had in Shogun?

I'm not really sure what mine is; I have yet to find out.

Naughty Little Hippy Senior Member Tachikaze's Avatar

It's hard to be specific, because some of my memorable experiences have repeated.

The most satisfying for me is to win a battle where there are few casualties on both sides. The most recent time that happened, I played a 5000 koku game on Tutmap3 and there were a little over 100 casualties in my army and under 200 in the enemy's.

It makes me feel like I won through careful tactics and guile, rather than brute force.

------------------
    A murky puddle becomes clear when it is still.

Screw luxury; resist convenience.

My most memorable experience playing STW was the first time I completed the conquest of Japan at expert level. It was playing Hojo, no port invasions (I used them just to reinforce my provinces), no Geishas assassinations (just to protect my Daimyo, heirs and high rank Taishos), no saving the game once and again. It was a wonderful sensation, after many attempts!!!

My fight with Magy!!!

------------------
    Clan Shades
    Shades
    You are already dead you just don't know it yet!!
    Clan Shades
    come by and give us a visit
    ShadeLord Shiba a member of clan shades

HA I can never sum up all the most memorable moments I have, 8 months online ahhhh dang, the 2 on 3 battle with lafayette ooo yeah I like that one, the 4 on 1 battle I saw when RA was beggining, when Bong beat the crap outta 4 guys, and when I got back I finished em oo yeah thats also cool! ummm also when Zod and Pugnacious were here we made a cool team, ooo i also remember the 3 on 3 when highlander was the last one left on our side (3 on 1)and the attackers kept saying things like "we goona kill ya" or "it's over" or "your next", o it was so funny when he won! Also I remember the bigget free for all on 60 unit size setting, 1000 kills plus, for a attackers and a defenders(me)! Memories I miss them all!

------------------
    Ronin alliance our power lies in our seperated nature, and united we are as strong as any clan, honour to alliance!

[This message has been edited by leoknite (edited 01-30-2001).]
    Honour to Kenchikuka, may
    the Gods have mercy for those who fight against us!

So, the Highlander was the only one left huh? Them he beat all his enemies and there truly was only one. mmm.

My most memorable moment? Well, it was during a campaign where I was the Imagawa clan. I took the province of shinano, all of Takeda's eastern province and Musashi. I killed several Daimyos including Hojo's, Oda's, Takeda's and Uesugi's daimyos. However, those province I took became the only provinces I can hold to the remaining game. Oda had taken all the province western of me and Uesugi had taken all the province eastern of me. I had to face both the Uesugi horde as well as the Oda horde. After countless defending battles, I finally managed to kill the enemy Daimyos in battle. Now I'm the only standing clan left in Japan, but what's worse is that the ronins that's left are still strong hordes after I killed their daimyo. I was low on koku and experiencing bad harvests. I still managed to hold on to the several province I've got from the start. But I know that if the ronins make few more attacks I would be overrun and lose. So I gave up some province and let the ronins divide up their troop to take over those province and I can use my combined army to attack with less pressure.

Forgot to mention, the game lasted into 1615. when I decided to use this tactic.
    A great warrior rarely reveal his true skills....

A 1v1 online. (wish I could remember my opponents name)
    At first I thought I was finished had stupidly made my Daimyo part of a musket unit and only realised when a hoarde of Cav. smacked into them. After some frantic fire fighting most of my troops routed, and I made a last stand with 2 warrior monks, who got blasted. In the meanwhile my units had rallied and came back to help their monk brothers, catching my opponent by surprise.

The battle turned into a mess, and I survived with only 4 ND and 2YC on the field.

Took about 50mins and was a total blood bath.

Insomniac and tired of it Senior Member Slyspy's Avatar

My little musketeer unit breaking and chasing after a unit of nodachi in an online game. The nodachi rallied and slaughtered the gunners, but they almost chased those samurai off the battlefield. It was just funny, especially since I had already lost and those musketeers were my only remaining unit.

------------------
    "Put 'em in blue coats, put 'em in red coats, the bastards will run all the same!"
    "Put 'em in blue coats, put 'em in red coats, the bastards will run all the same!"

"The English are a strange people....They came here in the morning, looked at the wall, walked over it, killed the garrison and returned to breakfast. What can withstand them?"

Senior Member Senior Member The Black Ship's Avatar

I was going to put in a link to the battle,but wouldn't you know it I can't find the game on the Shogun Battle log. Bet it got counted as an imcomplete.....but here goes:

3v3 on Harima

I don't know my allies well (1 name sounds familiar- the other an unknown quantity). My opponents are likewise unknown to me, save 1 who I've played several times.

Ally 1 drops right after setup (center guy)

I am left flank so I proceed to take out my side...so much as planned, then, my other ally drops (right flank)

1v3 now, but do I panick

I rout out the left defender while my opponents waste themselves on the ungeneraled carcass of the right flank ally. I proceed to the right with vengeance in my heart

Once in position I engage both the center defender and a token musket screen of the right defender. I'm higher and have their flank so off they go Now it's me and the remainder of defender #3 (all his H-t-h). I soften him up with muskets, and rest what I can of my nearly exhausted men. I actually used my Taisho as a cover force for my h-t-h, stopping 2 nearly full units of H1 WM with 40 men!

Defender #3 then just launches a full bore attack at my muskets! Hell I'll take that any day. So I calmly march my h-t-h around to his flank while he chases my muskets, do a , . Buuyyahh!!! There goes #3.

Had 1 unit of WM gain 2 honor, and both a SA and CA gain 1.

Yep it seems like yesterday.... I had over 1,000 kills that game, and the satisfaction of shutting up a smart-ass defender that kept taunting me to hurry up
    All we are saying....is give peas a chance - Jolly Green Giant

I remember it was a nice hilly map...Harima maybe..anyway it was one you could attack along the edges to gain the highground. I was defending with my fav combo of 4WM, 1YC (general),3SA,2muskies,3ND and 3YS..all high honour to ensure a long bloody battle.

Right away they marched right up the slope nearest me and attacked thru the woods to be met with withering fire from my muskies and later the pointy sticks of my samurai..they soon routed.. my opponent sent in the towelheads..they left yards and yards of that stuff all over the place ripped to little shreds..on and on they came without surcease until with one last great charge with my taisho and flanked by ND i swept three armies from the field and sent 1000 souls to perdition and rebirth.

Sun Tzu teaches us.."To lift an autumn leaf is not an act of great strength. To see the sun and moon is not an act of sharp sight.To hear a sudden thunderclap is not an act of acute listening."

What does that have to with it? As a Zen master would say, "When the lamp is lit, the whole room fills with light"
    ------------------
    To be happy it is necessary not to be too intelligent
    - Flaubert-

[This message has been edited by Dwimmerlaik (edited 01-31-2001).]
    Not born, not destroyed,
    Not stained, not pure,
    Without loss, without gain.

2 battles i can still remember crystal clear in my mind. first one is the battle aginst the legendary AMP, hes hosting at slightly hilly map at 5000 koku,weather is moderately foggy and he has 5 musket units compared to my 2 plus im attacker,what i did was send my 2 muskets up fron and draw all his fire while my monks and yari cav try to flank him, catchig his gunners by surprise attack at their flank, they immediately routed and my flanking troops faced the melee fighter fo his main army,fortunately my attack was timed right so my main army arrivd just in time when my flankers are almost wavering,fresh troops made the remainder of AMPs army run for their lives.
    Second is when i defeated Attending twice succesively with each of us taking turns hosting, this is a major vixtory because even after losing 2 major tournaments against kenchikuka, attending refused to accept defeat as a warrior should,instead he making all these excuses and so on,after tiring of his tirade, i challengd him publicly,at first he tried to ignore it but every1 strted questioning his honor so he had to fight or be branded a coward, and he lost 2 out of 2, that silenced him for a while too and instead of accepting things he just ran away without even a comment after the battle. those were during the glory days of Shogun. Appare chushin. Kenchikuka!
    In my sword; the wind, in my heart; courage, in my eyes; death...I am Minagawa

SP campaign game: the decisive battle of Operation Chrysanthemum, a drive from the West (uh, by this I've meant East for the past few days ) to Ky˘t˘.

I meet Lord Oda's main army in Mino, with the daimy˘ himself in command (in both armies, actually). Mino is a pass map, with extremely high hills bordering a narrow North-Southerly valley. Against my wishes, the battle was fought in heavy fog. Oda had a mass of YA (like 12 units or something) who just kept streaming into the pass. I plugged the pass with my ND and send my troops over the hills, brushing aside the Oda cadre of samurai and blocking the other end of the pass as well...

A massive bloodbath ensued, as I had the YA surrounded by medium-to-high-honor assault troops on both sides. This was using 120 man units, so there were about 1000 YA. I checked the logfile later, and not one, not one of the peasants escaped. Needless to say, the Oda daimy˘ was killed as well, and his forces went r˘nin. My advance stopped in that province for about a year simply because I was so astonished...

------------------
    "Go to the battlefield firmly confident of victory, and you will come home with no wounds whatsoever. Engage in combat fully determined to die and you will be alive; wish to survive in the battle and you will surely meet death."
    - Uesugi Kenshin

[This message has been edited by Anssi Hakkinen (edited 01-31-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Anssi Hakkinen (edited 02-02-2001).]
    "It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this".
    - Yamamoto Tsunetomo: Hagakure