Thread: Guild Wars

Default Guild Wars

Im pretty sure there was already a topic on this, but i cant find it anywhere.
    Who here plays Guild Wars? You can find me as Master Hiji. fF anyone is interested in joining the warlord guild just give me a whisper. :)
    "How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin." -Ronald Reagan

"It's somewhat ironic that closing spam threads increases my postcount"
    -Ser Clegane

Default Re: Guild Wars

I'm playing, name is Kent Vicars.

I'll probably be playing PvP a lot to unlock stuff with the brand new PvP reward system... gotta love those weekly updates; Arenanet is actually listening to the community and improving the game. Pretty good stuff considering there's no monthly fee.

PapaSmurf Senior Member Louis de la Ferte Ste Colombe's Avatar

I am playing, same guild as Cranda

I picked an original name... Louis Ste Colombe.... go figure

Anet support for GW puts CA to shame. I hope some are taking classes

Have fun all, happy hunting!

Louis,
    [FF] Louis St Simurgh / The Simurgh

Also playing under the name Constance de Sarna.
    Innovative Soy Solutions (TM) for a dynamically changing business environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Crandaeolon
    I'll probably be playing PvP a lot to unlock stuff with the brand new PvP reward system... gotta love those weekly updates; Arenanet is actually listening to the community and improving the game. Pretty good stuff considering there's no monthly fee.

ah...now for my usual dose of friendly pessimism:

PVP reward system sucks because it is useless for those who PVP only with their RP characters. to add insult to injury, you don't get EXP for winning in PVP any more! so RP characters have been royally shafted by the devs in the most recent update!

and if they were really listening to the community then they'd implement solutions to the most grievious flaws in the game; ie: the absolutely horrendous trading system (if it can even be called a "system" at all). thus far, the devs have completely ignored all of the most major problems with the game

having said all that, i still play Guild Wars. in-game name is Navaros Owns You

Crand/Kent is a really good player. he's helped me do some things in the game before that simply were not possible to do with the mentally-defunct AI henchmen

Ok Nav, let me attempt to counter your pessimism once again!

For the vast majority (both PvP and PvE players), the PvP-reward system is a very good thing to have. For PvP, there are the obvious benefits of making it easier to get items, runes & skills, thus enabling more frequent re-rolling of PvP characters without buying gear for them = more character builds available for average players.

The playing field will probably become a bit more level than it used to be. Large guilds (or filthy rich individuals) won't be the only ones that have access to the very best item mods & runes - now you can just play for a few hours to get points for unlocking a +30 HP pommel or a superior Vigor, for example.

There's no longer a need to farm hundreds of thousands of gold (or to play for hundreds of hours) to get the very best stuff - this means that there's less demand, which means that less money is poured into the economy, which means lower prices, which is better for PvE'ers and casual players.

PvP'ers can now do more of what they like best: play PvP, and not grind for items and gold. Top guilds will probably stick to GvG a bit more now that there's a tangible reward for it besides guild rank - this should make Tombs more friendly for new players. Top guilds will still dominate of course, but there's nothing much that can be done about it.

It may be just the newness of it, but the other arenas (not just Tombs) have finally sprung into life. d'Alessio & Droknar's arenas are busy now, which is a good thing.

Now the "bad" things.

Lack of XP in PvP is, well... not quite a problem IMO. You want XP - go to UW / Fissure. Tens of thousands of XP per hour, anything gained from PvP (or even PvE'ing in other areas) pales by comparison. And you get loot on top of that as well.

One argument that I've seen is that RPG characters would somehow become "worse" compared to PvP chars. Well. It's very easy to get a max stats 20%/20% item or +15%>50 weapon from collectors; all you need is to know the location of the collector and a bit of cash (or a couple hours of time to get what the collector wants.) Sure, upgrades & Vigors will still cost some coin, but the price should actually be going down as I explained before.

Even if you're never gonna make a PvP char, the reward system will still benefit you indirectly. Prices will go down, more players will be attracted into PvP. Good stuff.

Crand/Kent is a really good player. he's helped me do some things in the game before that simply were not possible to do with the mentally-defunct AI henchmen
    Thanks. Nice to hear that I'm better than henchmen. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

Hum, long post. Please bear with me.

Edit: ah yes. Agreed, the trading scheme is sucky. Fortunately, there isn't much need for it, everything is so easy to obtain. I bet we're getting weapon upgrade traders next...
    Last edited by Crandaeolon; 07-01-2005 at 01:40.

There's no longer a need to farm hundreds of thousands of gold (or to play for hundreds of hours) to get the very best stuff

PvP'ers can now do more of what they like best: play PvP, and not grind for items and gold.

Now the "bad" things.

Lack of XP in PvP is, well... not quite a problem IMO. You want XP - go to UW / Fissure. Tens of thousands of XP per hour, anything gained from PvP (or even PvE'ing in other areas) pales by comparison. And you get loot on top of that as well

Agreed, the trading scheme is sucky. Fortunately, there isn't much need for it, everything is so easy to obtain.

everything is so easy to obtain? really? in that case, can you please buy me a rune of superior absorption, and a rune of superior vigor...oh, and a Guild Hall? all that should cost around 150k - 200k

right now i have 20k, and that's after buying nothing but a few major runes and a couple of superior runes, and standard Draknor's armor (along with extra copies of certain pieces so i can swap weapon runes in and out)

for me to get 150k - 200k would take eons. unless they implement a good trading system in which case you might be able to actually sell the good items you have

as for your claim that there is no need to farm to get the best stuff: again, i disagree. because with that statement you are demanding that everyone uses PVP-only characters to PVP with. but what about all the RP players who like to PVP with their RP characters? they still have to farm endlessly, right?

as for your EXP point. true, Fissure does offer a lot more EXP than PVP. however, this game is "supposedly" supposed to be "grind-free". yet now stripping RP players of the ability to earn EXP from PVP; that is forcing RP characters to grind in Fissure or Underworld even if they don't want to. in a grind-free game, players would have the choice if they want to grind for faster EXP by doing the same level they already beat 10 million times, or if they would rather just earn the EXP (but slower) via PVP. in my view, the latest update robbed players from having that choice and shoved a mandate of grinding down their throat.

Im player as a warrior/ranger with the name Clarius Lechev. The up side is my wife is also hooked to this game but the down side is she is simply clueless i.e lost her way during mission or what items to keep/sell.
    what are the cool skills to use etc etc...

So far what she has feedback to me are peeps there tends to ONLY get players of Monk professon ( she started out as a necromancer ) in their mision. Now she has restart her advanture as a Monk in primary profession. Her character name is Penicilin drug or something.... maybe if u guys get to encounter her while she is playing be kind enough to inclue her in your mission group?
    A Member of Clan SG

"水无常形,兵无常势"

So far what she has feedback to me are peeps there tends to ONLY get players of Monk professon ( she started out as a necromancer ) in their mision. Now she has restart her advanture as a Monk in primary profession. Her character name is Penicilin drug or something.... maybe if u guys get to encounter her while she is playing be kind enough to inclue her in your mission group?
    Hehe, our little adventuring band with Louis & others is living proof that monks are not _that_ vital in PvE, if the players know what they're doing. But yeah, monks will always find employment.

We'd be glad to help out beginners; I'm running a guild called Total Warriors, which was originally intended to bring together current (and former) TW players for some mutual adventuring and aid in the GW journey. The invitation is still in effect, just give Kent Vicars or Louis Ste Colombe a whisper in game. We're still a very small & cosy little guild of nice people, and there are absolutely no obligations - anyone is free to join or leave at any time.

Now, back to Nav's complaints.

what about all the RP players who like to PVP with their RP characters? they still have to farm endlessly, right?
    Um, no. You can get the statistically best stuff quite easily by playing through the game, and hitting some collectors in the level 20 areas. Sure there are exotic items like Storm Bows and ascended armour, but they're not more powerful than "standard" best items - only looks are different. And no matter how you look at it, the PvP rewards have lessened the amount of farming for everyone, not just PvP players.

The prices of Sup Vigor & Sup Absorb have dropped like rocks, and will drop still. People were selling S.Vigors for less than 30k just moments ago in LA / Europe, Americans and Koreans probably get them for even cheaper. All other runes are dirt-cheap. And if you can't afford a S.Vigor right now, just keep using a major - the difference is a whopping nine (9) hitpoints. No matter what people say, nine extra hitpoints won't be the difference between victory and defeat.

Guild Hall Sigils are moderately expensive of course, but you're not really going to pay that all by yourself, are you?

As for UW / Fissure... dunno about you, but I still haven't completed either area (and Kent has nearly 1 million XP.) They're challenging and fun, and you can get acquainted with some great people down there. Of course everything will get a little dull in time, but little birds are singing that the next two high-level areas are nearly completed...

Feeding the Peanut Gallery Senior Member Redleg's Avatar

Yep playing the game also as a Ranger/Elem and my second character is a Warrior/monk

My son plays it also - and at times I have to kick him off so I can play.

LOL
    O well, seems like 'some' people decide to ruin a perfectly valid threat. Nice going guys... doc bean

PapaSmurf Senior Member Louis de la Ferte Ste Colombe's Avatar

Hehe, our little adventuring band with Louis & others is living proof that monks are not _that_ vital in PvE, if the players know what they're doing. But yeah, monks will always find employment.
    Not to mention that when someone in that group got a monk secondaries, it's for smiting!
    And if you think monks are important in PvE and you don't feel confident leaving an outpost without one or two monks, be careful not to join any group with Tempiic as a leader... She seems to make a point leaving empty slots in group, and not taking monks (not even Alesia)
    It's all the funniest

It does feel a bit scary, but hey... it works! There is more than one way to play this game

Otherwise: who needs stuff? Get your attribute right, use your skills, have fun!

Louis,
    [FF] Louis St Simurgh / The Simurgh

i have found that monks are highly necessary in PVE by virtue of the fact that most players in Guild Wars royally suck at PVE and hence are guaranteed to die without at least 2 monks in every party in the later stages of the game

an example to illustrate reasons for such a necessity: i think i am the only tank who i've ever seen run away from a mob that is hopelessly decimating our party in PVE. i've been in millions of parties by now. which makes it all the more shocking that almost no one i've came across is smart enough to know when to retreat.

most just stay there getting pounded til they die even though there is zero chance of winning the encounter

of course the people who post at this site are probably a lot better than your average (horrible player) bear, so mileage will vary if made up of all Org peeps

Gah who needs monk anyway, I have a went to a scenario whereby we need to take back the castle for the dwaft king and guess wat? my whole team is all made up of Tankers!!!! Whooohoooo!!!1 Tankers Rulz...
    A Member of Clan SG

"水无常形,兵无常势"

Theres 2 things i need to ask here.....anyone completed the whole story? I think i had complete the story after my team and myself kill the lich in the manual it mentioned a place called "The Rift" anyone been there before? 2nd, have u guys tried out the dwarven beer? if you had not, try it. Its hilarious !!!
    A Member of Clan SG

"水无常形,兵无常势"

I used the beer, but i saw no effects. What was supposed to happen?
    "How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin." -Ronald Reagan

"It's somewhat ironic that closing spam threads increases my postcount"
    -Ser Clegane