Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Revolt!!!!

Senior Member Senior Member Ser Clegane's Avatar

Default Re: Revolt!!!!

It seems that this thread actually turned into an interesting discussion over night (I'd like too note that most interesting things in the Backroom seem to happen while I am asleep - go figure).

Some comments on the issue(s) at hand (and no - this is not any highly official statement you might be looking for - it's just my personal take):

1) The term "banned permanently" might be a bit misleading. Some observant org-patrons might note that BP's account is still active, other than the accounts of a certain ex-patron who decided to flood the Watchtower some time ago.

2) This is not the first step of a larger scheme to round up all "evil-doers" and get rid of them ("nobody has the intention to build a wall" ... uhm ... j/k)

3) Open discussions of org policy are always welcome and encouraged. If somebody has the feeling that something is going awfully wrong here, he/she should speak up - though I agree with most patrons here that first checking via PM instead of posting several "Revolt" threads might be a more appropriate and constructive way of doing so.

4) We will resolve this issue as soon as possible - we have no reason or intention to "hide" anything here, however, please bear with us as with the weekend and the 4th of July in the US ahead of us we cannot guarantee a 24h turnaround time.

One more personal comment at the end - I'd like to point out that we are not talking about some innocent saint here who has been crucified. As Pape correctly pointed out we are talking about quite a number of warnings that have been accumulated over time - it should not be surprising that this would result in some kind of consequences at a certain point.

Best regards and thanks for your attention

Ser Clegane

Member Senior Member Proletariat's Avatar

'Permanently' has an actual definition. It can be found in any dictionary. To use it as an intensifier is imbecilic.
    Last edited by Proletariat; 07-02-2005 at 09:09.

Could be your God Member Abokasee's Avatar

Note: to be honest you can't realy start revolt on the web!
    Now with transparent layers!

Lost on the Internet? Go back to start.

Nur-ad-Din Forum Administrator TosaInu's Avatar

Hello,

Moved to Watchtower.

All I can say now (can not trying to hide something), is that Byzantine Princes banning is a result of a script doing something by itself.

While the record is pretty impressive, I'm confused about the ban as well: last time I saw his account it was warning level 6, now it's 8 and he's banned: shouldn't be.

The last ACP recorded warning to Byzantine Prince, was issued in the Frontroom.

I don't have time to investigate what's going on right now, so I'll try (try as software has its own will) to lift his ban. But, as the last incident was in the Tavern, he'll not have access to that place.

Edit: ban appears to be lifted. Will try to find out what happened asap.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

So if I'm reading right, the board automatically bans posters if they go above a certain warning level?

I didn't know that. Thanks for that Tosa.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneApache
    So if I'm reading right, the board automatically bans posters if they go above a certain warning level?
    Like any AI, the .org still has some bugs in the system. Let's just hope it doesn't go insane and ban us all, running the .org for it's own purposes and only letting google spiders in...

boy of DESTINY Senior Member Big_John's Avatar

it's like skynet!!!!!!

now i'm here, and history is vindicated.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gawain of Orkeny
    PS

edyzmedieval must know or can find out why. How else would he be the first to know BP is banned if BP didnt tell him so? So whats the story edyzmedieval ?
    Well, I noticed that BP was banned because under his profile name, it was Permanently Banned. Although this might let you say that he did it, there's some other proof. He had at the number of bans: 2... Instead of 1 before he got banned.... Also, I checked his profile and I could not PM him....The link to the message-creator was not there.... Only send an email to him.....

Any other questions?!
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Feeding the Peanut Gallery Senior Member Redleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval
    Well, I noticed that BP was banned because under his profile name, it was Permanently Banned. Although this might let you say that he did it, there's some other proof. He had at the number of bans: 2... Instead of 1 before he got banned.... Also, I checked his profile and I could not PM him....The link to the message-creator was not there.... Only send an email to him.....

Any other questions?!

So are you assuming he was permantly banned or did you ask one of the moderators via PM or email?

Because from what you describe here - it seems to be an assumption on your part. Notice Tosa's explaination above.
    O well, seems like 'some' people decide to ruin a perfectly valid threat. Nice going guys... doc bean

of course, when it reads "Permanently Banned" under his user name, assumption is a minor sin, at worst...

Toh-GAH-koo-reh Member Togakure's Avatar

Thank you for the clarification, gents. Nice to read that all is well in Orgville. Happy holiday weekend to those that celebrate American Independence Day.
    Be intent on loyalty
    While others aspire to perform meritorious services
    Concentrate on purity of intent
    While those around you are beset by egoism

misc kanryodo

Ambiguous Member Byzantine Prince's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TogakureOjonin
    Thank you for the clarification, gents. Nice to read that all is well in Orgville. Happy holiday weekend to those that celebrate American Independence Day.
    Happy Canada DAY!!!

Just me,

BP

prole has her.. playmate.. back. how sweet.

Close?

Watchtower has enough trivial threads as it is imho.
    Abandon all hope.

I think it might be appropriate if either Barocca or Tosa explained this.

Being excluded by a moderator (et al) ...is one thing....but to be banned by a 'bot' is , to say the least disturbing.....

I just dont think that the computer should have the option of closing peoples accounts...if it has to be done ....it MUST be a human...

I hope this isn't a trend.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Byzantine Princes banning was the result of a script side effect: Tavern access restored.

I install scripts InsaneApache.

Most of the script is 'standard'. Human staff decides how it's supposed to work and currently staff is looking to reconfig it (now with this side effect popping up, I did check several cases to test, it also needs some upgrading).

I know where this concern is coming from, I think: the 'sorry no human fault it's the computer mistake' excuse. I Installed the script, so I am resposible. Bug me with it, at infinitum if you wish.

The previous board did spit members out of the database, just like that. Why it happened? No idea, blame me. Luckily all reported erased accounts could be restored from backup.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

didnt knew this thread had so many pages and didnt read beyond the first
    Last edited by The Stranger; 07-02-2005 at 21:11.

We do not sow.

Glad to hear he wasn't permanently banned. He does spice things up sometimes.

Unlike horse archer and his subsequent login names. That guy seemed to be a tad too disruptive.

Thank you for the information Tosa. Great site BTW. Well organized and moderated.

Regards,

DA
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    The Backroom is the Crackroom.

Scruffy Looking Nerf Herder Member Steppe Merc's Avatar

I can attest that sometimes the automated warner does wierd things. I was threatened (not officially warned) by some automated message that said I had used an inapropriate word. I was quite confused, until I found out that Tosa was testing the system, and had chosen some random word that I had typed.
    So I can say that if some automated thingy is giving you problems, just ask Tosa or someone, and they'll get to the bottom of it.

"But if you should fall you fall alone,
    If you should stand then who's to guide you?
    If I knew the way I would take you home."
    Grateful Dead, "Ripple"

Tovenaar Senior Member The Wizard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneApache
    I say set Krast on him...and may GOd have mercy on his Soul
    Krast'll just have him laugh himself to death... no, I say Vanya!

I see one post by abokasee here. omg it was a bartixian invasion

~Wiz
    Last edited by The Wizard; 07-02-2005 at 23:56.
    "It ain't where you're from / it's where you're at."

Eric B. & Rakim, I Know You Got Soul

Very Senior Member Gawain of Orkeny's Avatar

Krast'll just have him laugh himself to death... no, I say Vanya!
    Krast Gah gnashes teeth rolls eyes. There is the player I miss most. He certainly was a character. Always had to look out for that Gah-tapult.
    Last edited by Gawain of Orkeny; 07-03-2005 at 01:49.
    Fighting for Truth , Justice and the American way

Tovenaar Senior Member The Wizard's Avatar

Damn straight... it was always a contest who's funnier: Krasturak or Vanya?

~Wiz
    Last edited by The Wizard; 07-03-2005 at 01:18.
    "It ain't where you're from / it's where you're at."

Eric B. & Rakim, I Know You Got Soul

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Papewaio
    I don't think he was banned for a particular post so much as the total of 12+ warning points. I would say flood control at level 12 warning points must be pretty long.

It will of course get reviewed in PMs, emails and the Watchtower.
    12 WARNING POINTS! My new hero!

Don't worry, I don't exist Member King of Atlantis's Avatar

It only says eight now, so i guess your real hero should be horsearcher or whatever he likes to be called.

Strangely enough what i find most disturbing is the obvious lack of communication betweeen moderators here. Several posted here beofre TosaInu diagnosed the problem and all thought that he had in fact been banned. It's odd seeing them defned a decision that was never taken.

Don't worry, I don't exist Member King of Atlantis's Avatar

Well they didnt have any info to go on, so they just stood up for eachother and tried to stop a revolt, not really supprising.

Quote Originally Posted by Morat
    Strangely enough what i find most disturbing is the obvious lack of communication betweeen moderators here. Several posted here beofre TosaInu diagnosed the problem and all thought that he had in fact been banned. It's odd seeing them defned a decision that was never taken.
    Who can tell what went wrong in the OS when a computer crashes? The OS is made and 'expected' to work, not to fail.

The failure of the script, installed by me, happened Thursday 30, after I logged out. I was away at Friday and saw this only at Saturday morning.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

SOrry guys I wasn't clear. I meant that the moderators believed that the admins had banned someone and had not informed them of it. I don't know about this site but most have a staff forum where they discuss announce such things. That is the communications breakdown I was referring to.

PS My post number didn't go up when I posted this. Is this a bug?
    Last edited by Morat; 07-03-2005 at 08:34.

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Here we have segmented abilities therefore it is easier to tell who did what where.

As for banning it is only the Admin who gets that right. BP considering his past track record takes one step back then two forward. And a ban tends only to be a couple of days usually for cooling off. If it is permanent then it is just a matter of creating a new account, unless you are a troll and have been IP blocked.

So if TosaInu-sama bans someone who has had numerous warnings in the past and had a post which was probably his worst yet, it would be logical to ban BP. Maybe the script was working super well... so well that AI may become the next TW AI.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Morat
    PS My post number didn't go up when I posted this. Is this a bug?
    No sorry, it isn't.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast