Thread: Favourite holiday destination

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Cool Favourite holiday destination

My favourite destionations: Brazil and Japan.....

Let's see if somebody guesses why....

BTW, your favourite destionation?!
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Default Re: Favourite holiday destination

I love Greece, it's near (4 hours max flying time) and the weather/food/people are great...

Ohh..an' me pater is domiciled on Corfu...
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

The Sword of Rome Member Marcellus's Avatar

Well, I don't travel that much, but I went to Canada last year and really enjoyed it (great scenery, great people), so I guess that must be my favourite holiday place
    "Look I’ve got my old pledge card a bit battered and crumpled we said we’d provide more turches churches teachers and we have I can remember when people used to say the Japanese are better than us the Germans are better than us the French are better than us well it’s great to be able to say we’re better than them I think Mr Kennedy well we all congratulate on his baby and the Tories are you remembering what I’m remembering boom and bust negative equity remember Mr Howard I mean are you thinking what I’m thinking I’m remembering it’s all a bit wonky isn’t it?"

-Wise words from John Prescott

Iran.

India.

And Israel.

I'd love to visit the United States.
    "The ink of the scholar is more holy than the blood of the martyr."

I only defended myself and the honor of my family” - Nazanin

boy of DESTINY Senior Member Big_John's Avatar

so far in my travels, the place i enjoyed the most was the southern coast of france and corsica.. partly because i speak french. i haven't yet been to itlay, though.
    now i'm here, and history is vindicated.

Senior Member Senior Member Ser Clegane's Avatar

Hard to decide - too many places I liked and too many I would still love to see.

Japan certainly holds a top spot - after having been there during spring I would love to make another trip during autumn.

Vietnam/Cambodia might be the next destination for a longer trip...

Medical Welshman in London. Senior Member Big King Sanctaphrax's Avatar
    Cardiff in the summer, London during term time.

This is a bit sad, but the holidays I've enjoyed the most have been hiking with my Uncles and cousins in the Brecon Beacons National Park, and Camping in the Gower.

My family tend to like 'beachy' holidays in Spain, so I don't go abroad much, really. I'm planning to buy and inter-rail pass and travel round Europe next summer, though-perhaps the answer to this question will change then.
    Co-Lord of BKS and Beirut's Kingdom of Peace and Love.

"Handsome features, rugged exteriors, intellectual chick magnets, we're pretty much twins."-Beirut

"Rhy, where's your helicopter now? Where's your ******* helicopter now?"-Mephistopheles.

Dubai. It's a really nice place, good weather, good sights, nice people. I'd recommend it.

Toh-GAH-koo-reh Member Togakure's Avatar

The Northern California coast--Sea Ranch, Gualala, Mendocino, etc. I usually rent a house just up from the ocean, fill up the fridge with great food, the wine rack with fine vintages, and the cigar box with ... ahem, well ... nevermind. Then I just hang out and enjoy myself. I took my keyboards with me last time and wrote some dreamy stuff.

If it's a romantic occasion I'll often stay in the Treehouse, a small private cabin on the premises of St. Orres Inn just outside of Gualala. The raised king-sized bed faces huge French door/windows that look out to the Pacific in the distance, and it has a groovy wet bar and Japanese-style tub. Breakfast is served promptly at 9am in the form of a little basket left on the doorstep with linen napkins, china, silverware, and crystal. Standard breakfasts include cereal and milk topped with hand-picked local berries, fresh-baked croissants with butter and homemade jam, eggs and country potatoes, fruit juice, and Champagne. The 5-star restaurant in the inn proper is superb and offers unusual fare like pheasant, venison, rabbit, and sometimes some excellent local mushrooms. It's a very short walk across Highway 1 to some nice, small and secluded beaches (though the Northern coastal waters tend to be much too cold for swimming). Spring is by far the best time to go, as the area is blanketed by a plethora of flowers of every hue imaginable. My favorite are the white calalilies, purple lupine, and orange California poppies.

No matter where we stay, we always head up to Mendocino for a walk along the stunningly beautiful bluffs, a stroll through the wonderfully "old-fashioned" town, a browse through the interesting art shoppes and curios, and top off the visit with a meal at one of the several nice restaurants there.

A close second (and a sharp contrast) to lounging on the Northern California coast would be backpacking (for at least a week straight) in Desolation Wilderness just west of Lake Tahoe. Pristine mountain tarns, lush vales, whispering groves, shining granite faces, and a big, big sky ... one of my favorite places on Earth, definitely.

It's nice not to have to go far to satisfy my yearning for something different. My favorite places are within a couple hundred miles of where I live.
    Be intent on loyalty
    While others aspire to perform meritorious services
    Concentrate on purity of intent
    While those around you are beset by egoism

misc kanryodo

Tovenaar Senior Member The Wizard's Avatar

Amongst my favorite places for a holiday are the US -- such nice people, especially when compared to the Netherlands; Turkey, the western part -- it just has that South American latino vibe, which I love, and that is unique in the Mediterranean; and Honduras, outside of Tegucigalpa (I lived there) -- people are nice, the weather is fine, there are some really nice sights (Copán), and the beaches are great (both on the Pacific and on the Atlantic).

But the place that will forever hold number one on my favorite place to visit is Aruba. Mi dushi tera, mi baranca tan stima! Grew up there, and I'll probably end up living there again. Curaçao, where I was born, comes close, but the people are just that little important bit less nice and the coast is just a little bit too rocky for me.

~Wiz
    "It ain't where you're from / it's where you're at."

Eric B. & Rakim, I Know You Got Soul

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

Canada.
    Unto each good man a good dog

Austria.. America has some great 4X4 areas, but I live here so..

Never go anywhere on holidays.

How can you live your whole life in Cincinnati!? There are only a few places on earth I wouldnt gladly move to to get out of Memphis, but Cincinnati is one of them.

Toh-GAH-koo-reh Member Togakure's Avatar

No worries ... you youngsters got a whole lotta time, and you'll get where you want to go, and some, if you put your minds to it. I didn't travel much until I left the nest and joined the bands. I was about your age at that point. It also costs a lot to travel Panzer, and not everyone has the means that you do at their disposal. You are very fortunate to be able to travel to Europe frequently. I have never been there, and I am more than twice your age. I have been to Japan a few times though (made in Japan, actually), and Hawaii, Canada, Alaska, Mexico, and all over the USA, so I'm not complaining.

Why are Memphis and Cincinnati not good places to live? Closest I've been to them would be Chicago or NYC.
    Be intent on loyalty
    While others aspire to perform meritorious services
    Concentrate on purity of intent
    While those around you are beset by egoism

misc kanryodo

There are some places with beautiful surroundings and a nice climate. There are some places with amazing outdoor activities. There are some places with awesome indoor activities. There are some places with a great night life and club scene.

Memphis and, in my humble opinion, Cincinnati have none of those. Who knows though, I only spent a few days there.. By the way, Japan's a fun place to visit but I wouldnt like to live there.

Bringing down the vulgaroisie Member King Henry V's Avatar

Skiing in the Austrian Alps has to be the best holiday I've been on.
    www.thechap.net
    "We were not born into this world to be happy, but to do our duty." Bismarck
    "You can't be a successful Dictator and design women's underclothing. One or the other. Not both." The Right Hon. Bertram Wilberforce Wooster
    "Man, being reasonable, must get drunk; the best of life is but intoxication" - Lord Byron
    "Where men are forbidden to honour a king they honour millionaires, athletes, or film-stars instead: even famous prostitutes or gangsters. For spiritual nature, like bodily nature, will be served; deny it food and it will gobble poison." - C. S. Lewis

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Always been to the sun & sex places, Llorett de mar, salou that kind of stuff. This year a bit more adventure, either Gambia or Kenia.

Yeah man... Dutch diaspora... great stuff...

Sheesh, even laughing at makamba's on Curaçao is better than going to Lloret and Salou in my book...

... unless you're with friends. Same goes for après ski

~Wiz

Ahhh curacau, a drunk and dripping yet oh so pious holloway for every size

That's Aruba... but could be Curaçao if my theory is correct and those dirty yunang korsou did abduct her to spite Aruba's prosperity

Simulation Monkey Member The_Mark's Avatar

The Finnish archipelago. Has lots of natural, harsh beauty. Pleasant sailing waters. And some 10000 islands to visit.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard
    That's Aruba... but could be Curaçao if my theory is correct and those dirty yunang korsou did abduct her to spite Aruba's prosperity
    Could you please expand on that kind sir? This story is starting to become rather amusing if you don't mind my complete lack of humour. Saw a fox editorial of that little all-american holier then just about everything angel that was very much piss-drunk and wanted to be gangbanged on da beach. Ah well, still a nice excuse to send some F16 to please the yanks

Ah, well... the people from Curaçao (yunang korsou, singular yu korsou) have always been jealous of Aruba's status aparte and its prosperity compared to grubby Korsou... so the arubiano's like to think the yunang korsou abducted our little holy ho'.

But, seriously, I know Joran van der Sloot. Is there any topic yet 'bout the whole thing in the Backroom? 'Cause really, Joran is not a guy who is capable of such a thing. Impossible. She prolly either drank herself into such a stupor that she choked on her own puke or the Suri's did it.

~Wiz

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

I like Austria. Its a nice place, not far from Germany, and since I'm German, I speak the language.