Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pink Floyd only given 15 minutes to play

Very Senior Member Gawain of Orkeny's Avatar

Default Pink Floyd only given 15 minutes to play

Pink Floyd A Fleeting Glimpse ~ For Your Daily Pink Floyd Fix
    ... has confirmed that Pink Floyd will play 'for about 15 minutes' at Live 8. ...
    Col is also given a credit in the amazing Pink Floyd Encyclopedia and also ...
    www.pinkfloydz.com/ - 65k - Jun 29, 2005 - Cached - Similar pages
    LINK

After waiting all these years 15 minutes GaHHHHHHHHHH

THeir suppose to come on around 2pm .
    Fighting for Truth , Justice and the American way

Chief Sniffer Senior Member ichi's Avatar

Default Re: Pink Floyd only given 15 minutes to play

LOL, they can play Money , then an abbreviated medley from The Wall , finish with Wish you were here longer

ichi
    Stay Calm, Be Alert, Think Clearly, Act Decisively

CoH

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

I'll take Saucerful of Secrets or Echoes for the whole 15.

15 minutes. Good Grief!
    Unto each good man a good dog

15 minutes is hardly time for one good guitar solo.

Dear, dear me - 15 mins?!?!?!!!?!?!?!?!?

Best band playing given such a short time period, sigh.
    GARCIN: I "dreamt," you say. It was no dream. When I chose the hardest path, I made my choice deliberately. A man is what he wills himself to be.
    INEZ: Prove it. Prove it was no dream. It's what one does, and nothing else, that shows the stuff one's made of.
    GARCIN: I died too soon. I wasn't allowed time to - to do my deeds.
    INEZ: One always dies too soon - or too late. And yet one's whole life is complete at that moment, with a line drawn neatly under it, ready for the summing up. You are - your life, and nothing else.

Jean Paul Sartre - No Exit 1944

This whole thing is looking crappier by the second.

First no money actually going to Afrika.. now things like this..

There isnt much that can be said about the LiveAid shows though, they always seemed badly planned to me.

robotica erotica Member Colovion's Avatar

pffft

this has travesty written all over it
    robotica erotica

well if they did their early catalogue they could prolly knock out 2 or 3 tunes. Careful with that axe Eugene and Arnold Layne would just about cover it.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Upset is not the word. Enraged is not the word. Furious is pretty close...

Either way, i want blood for this. In some ways, i'm glad i didn't win tickets. Pink Floyd and paul mccartney are the sole reasons i wanted to be at live 8. If i had received this news while at the gig (or worse, not recieved it at all), i would've broke down into tears.
    "Strangers passing in the street, by chance two separate glances meet, and i am you and what i see is me"

Medical Welshman in London. Senior Member Big King Sanctaphrax's Avatar
    Cardiff in the summer, London during term time.

That's absolutely horrendous. Whoever decided upon that should be shot several times. In the knees.

How long are some of the other sets, for reference?
    Co-Lord of BKS and Beirut's Kingdom of Peace and Love.

"Handsome features, rugged exteriors, intellectual chick magnets, we're pretty much twins."-Beirut

"Rhy, where's your helicopter now? Where's your ******* helicopter now?"-Mephistopheles.

Quote Originally Posted by Big King Sanctaphrax
    That's absolutely horrendous. Whoever decided upon that should be shot several times. In the knees.

How long are some of the other sets, for reference?
    exactly the same Darth Sanctaphrax. Just shove less artists in and give em quality time I say...or make it a pink floyd gig

sad, very sad

I'll bet that boner Bono gets an hour. Bleah!

Just shove less artists in and give em quality time I say
    Couldn't agree more. And while the set list isn't that bad (Breathe/Money/Wish you were here/Comfortably Numb), i would kill several times to see them play an "Any colour you like/Brain Damage/Eclipse" outro...
    "Strangers passing in the street, by chance two separate glances meet, and i am you and what i see is me"

The Sword of Rome Member Marcellus's Avatar

Apparently every artist only gets 15 minutes, although it is likely that some acts will overrun. I agree with ah dut and Cygnus X-1: fewer artists and longer performances.
    "Look I’ve got my old pledge card a bit battered and crumpled we said we’d provide more turches churches teachers and we have I can remember when people used to say the Japanese are better than us the Germans are better than us the French are better than us well it’s great to be able to say we’re better than them I think Mr Kennedy well we all congratulate on his baby and the Tories are you remembering what I’m remembering boom and bust negative equity remember Mr Howard I mean are you thinking what I’m thinking I’m remembering it’s all a bit wonky isn’t it?"

-Wise words from John Prescott

Does anyone think the way 'Fern Cotton' has been interviewing other bands while one is on stange is a tad disrespectful? I mean, the only one i can recall was when she interviewed Razorlight when REM were playing...

Cathedral of Despair Member jimmyM's Avatar

I was bleedin' enraged when that happened in the middle of man on the moon fer chrissakes, if it had been during everyone hurts i'd have laughed, but no, here's fern cotton and some flash-in-the-panners! for just long enough to wipe out the intro! GAH! - no, GAH doesn't cover it! .
    It was like that in glastonbury coverage- gormless arsetalk while New Order are playing true faith....if they try that in the 'floyds set I'll hunt them down...
    dolce decorum est pro patria mori

In case your wondering

Geldof also revealed that Pink Floyd, reunited with founder member Roger Waters for the first time in more than 20 years, will play three songs: Breathe, Comfortably Numb and Wish You Were Here.
    Great set but how will they do full versions in 15 minutes? I guess it will be lose.

Also I cant believe I missed this.

SIR Paul McCartney and the Irish rock group U2, dressed in Sgt Pepper costumes, are due to open next weekend’s Live 8 concerts singing “It was 20 years ago today” — a reference to the Live Aid concert of 1985.
    Does anyone know if theres anywhere to see anything that was missed. I heard something about them being streamed on the internet

LINK

bastard
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

The opening was good Gawain, I do believe there is audio / video on the internet already too of it.

I am just so glad Pink Floyd are apparently going to play Wish you were here - my favvvvvvvvvvvv!

Still waiting for them to begin though.
    GARCIN: I "dreamt," you say. It was no dream. When I chose the hardest path, I made my choice deliberately. A man is what he wills himself to be.
    INEZ: Prove it. Prove it was no dream. It's what one does, and nothing else, that shows the stuff one's made of.
    INEZ: One always dies too soon - or too late. And yet one's whole life is complete at that moment, with a line drawn neatly under it, ready for the summing up. You are - your life, and nothing else.

I am just so glad Pink Floyd are apparently going to play Wish you were here - my favvvvvvvvvvvv!
    Well next to Comfortably Numb its my favorite also. It certainly is my favorite floyd album. Its one long trip

Quote Originally Posted by Gawain of Orkeny
    Well next to Comfortably Numb its my favorite also. It certainly is my favorite floyd album. Its one long trip
    Agreed, every song is a winner. I don't think the album really gets the praise it deserves as well, everyone always remembers and knows Dark side of the moon, but Wish you were here? It is often forgotten, and it is superb.

Darkside is played out and everysong is not of the caliber of those on Wish you were here. As you say every song can stand by itself but together its a masterpiece.

What a joke!! Currently listening to Robbie Williams?!?!?!?
    Heard Dido earlier?!?!?!?

What can I say about that?????????? There is no superlative to portray quite how awful they are.

Been looking forward to Floyd just to find this out

There is nothing I can think of to say...............15 minutes. Who decided that then? Please tell me it wasn't Geldof

.....Orda

Scruffy Looking Nerf Herder Member Steppe Merc's Avatar

WHAT!!!!

Oh, I like the Wish you were Here the best. Dark Side is awesome, but Wish You were Here is... amazing. My dad was looking at me weird the other night when I was playing the Wish you were Here album very loud at ten a clock at night in my living room...
    Last edited by Steppe Merc; 07-02-2005 at 22:28.

"But if you should fall you fall alone,
    If you should stand then who's to guide you?
    If I knew the way I would take you home."
    Grateful Dead, "Ripple"

You see Floyd unites us all

Welcome to the machine is such a poiniant song.

In Floyd we trust.

Gawain and JAG, after months of sexual tension decide to come out.!!!!! My moneys on JAG to bite the pillow

So sorry guys...it's the first time I've ever seen you two guys agree about owt......just shows how close we all really are under the skin

hehe!!! .... have fun guys

Hah, i've had this "Darkside vs WYWH" conversation with BKS before. Good to see there are more people on the WYWH train.

Not really related, but wow...The Who just totally blew every act before them away. And Pete Townsend still moves like a crazy bastard!

So sorry guys...it's the first time I've ever seen you two guys agree about owt......just shows how close we all really are under the skin
    You want to see how close we all are under the skin get a copy of Paul Mc Cartney Live in Red Square. Seeing him sing Back in the USSR there is unbeliveable as is seeing all those Ruskies singaing along and dancing to all his songs. Truly remarkable. MUsic is a great uniter .

Paul McCartney "Live in Red Square" DVD, new Paul McCartney DVD released on June 14, 2005 (on A&E Home Video).

The Beatles Anthology may be the motherlode for fans of the Fabs, but among other Beatle-related video offerings, only The Concert for George matches Paul McCartney - "Live in Red Square" DVD for sheer emotional and musical impact. It's no coincidence that the latter two chronicle not just concerts but significant events--a memorial for Harrison (he had died a year earlier), and Sir Paul McCartney's first visit to the former Soviet Union.

For the Russian audience, Paul McCartney's appearance in Moscow is little short of a miracle. The Beatles were banned for decades by the Soviet government, which regarded their music as the epitome of Western decadence and propaganda, and the fans' only access to the group was through the occasional photo or black market album. Their reaction to his 2003 visit is a mixture of frenzy and rapture; in interview after interview, what one fan calls the Beatles' "gentle intervention" is credited with helping to bring down the whole Soviet system, simply because they represented a creativity and freedom that had been almost totally silenced. And that's all before Paul McCartney plays "Back in the U.S.S.R.," which inspires a response that simply must be seen and heard to be believed.

Elsewhere, Macca and his superb band perform a variety of Beatles tunes, along with some highlights from his solo career and stint with Wings. Considering the dozens of classics in the John Lennon-Paul McCartney catalogue, the majority of them never performed live by the group, he could hardly go wrong.

Still, the choices are almost unerring; along with "Hey Jude," "Yesterday," and "Let it Be" are some unexpected treats (including "Getting Better" and "She's Leaving Home" from the Sgt. Pepper album, as well as "Fool on the Hill," "I've Just Seen a Face," and "Two of Us"). And that's not all: additional footage from a show in St. Petersburg features "Drive My Car," "Helter Skelter," and a powerful medley of "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band" and "The End."
    The sound and visuals are good, and the extra features (including a brief parallel history of the Beatles and the U.S.S.R. in the '60s) are interesting. No, the Beatles will never reform. But Paul McCartney - Live in Red Square ain't a bad substitute.

This DVD is a feature-length world premiere special that tells the story of the ex-Beatle's historic visit to Russia on May 24, 2003. Marking the first time that McCartney had set foot on Russian soil, this concert and documentary also reveals the secret love affair that existed between the Russian people and McCartney during the Communist era.

Paul McCartney "Live in Red Square" new DVD: ORDER IT NOW.

I got this as soon as it came out and its a real treat. It actually has 2 concerts and with different songs for the most part and the St Pete one maybe better than the Moscow one. If you like the Beatles this DVD is a must have.

Scruffy Looking Nerf Herder Member Steppe Merc's Avatar

Um, how does one see any of this stuff from Live 8? I know tonight they are having clips of the best from around the world on TV, and my favorite classic rock radio in New York (Q 104.3) is playing live stuff through out the day, though it might only be from London.
    I hope to hear Neil Young, however, I wonder what I chooses to play. I hope for Rockin in the Free World.

"But if you should fall you fall alone,
    If you should stand then who's to guide you?
    If I knew the way I would take you home."
    Grateful Dead, "Ripple"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast