Thread: Is this true?

Default Is this true?

I have just a had a beer with my 'Yank' sister in law...and as we watched her little lad running around, I asked if he was dual nationality? ....Yes she said...

So then I got to asking her about her going back to NC to see her folks...(she's been in the UK about 5 years)....then she drops this...

"If I go back to the USA, because I have been out of the country for more than a year I have to declare why and fill out a form stating where I've been and why"

My jaw dropped in amazement....wtf has it to do with the US government what it's citizens do and get up to?..(unless of course it's illegal)..

I just can't imagine this in the UK......we wouldn't stand for it. Having said that so few Americans leave the USA that perhaps the government thinks it can get away with behaving like this.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Feeding the Peanut Gallery Senior Member Redleg's Avatar

Default Re: Is this true?

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneApache
    I

"If I go back to the USA, because I have been out of the country for more than a year I have to declare why and fill out a form stating where I've been and why"

Don't know - would be an interesting question to ask the local embassy or state department official however.
    O well, seems like 'some' people decide to ruin a perfectly valid threat. Nice going guys... doc bean

Master of the Horse Senior Member Pindar's Avatar

Based on how you've described things: I think your sister-in-law is confused. I worked outside the U.S. for over eight years. I never had any such form or explanatory.

I can only think of two instances were anything comparable might exist. First, if one works outside the U.S. for roughly a year any monies made under $70,000 is not taxable. One has to declare this is the case on a form. Two, for resident aliens (those who are working for or who have obtained Permanent Resident status) if they are out of the U.S. for over a year (or perhaps a lesser period, I cant recall) and plan on returing to the U.S. to live: they have to declare this intent so the government knows they still a pursuing Permanent Residency.

"We are lovers of beauty without extravagance and of learning without loss of vigor." -Thucydides

"The secret of Happiness is Freedom, and the secret of Freedom, Courage." -Thucydides

She wont go back to the US because she has to fill out a little form? What's she been doing over there...

Thnaks for the reply Pindar...yes she does work in the UK, however I fail to see what has to do with the US gov. as her taxes are paid to HM. Treasury.

Again thankyou for your insight...I shall see if she is ill-informed.

She wont go back to the US because she has to fill out a little form? What's she been doing over there...
    And whats it got to do with you?...or anyone else for that matter, but I'll tell you anyway...she's been building a life for her, her husband (my adoptive brother) and their 3 year old son. Both work , in fact he is one of our finest....a friggin tax inspector (ohhhh the shame ) and she is now a branch manager of a local building society..(Google plz).......so why?
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

I get the impression from my father (who usually works outside the U.K.) that the British govt. is at the very least equally as interested in the foreign earnings of its citizens(subjects?) as the U.S. govt. is in theirs.

Well you posted an entire thread about your sister and her issues with returning to the US and I wondered why, with all the paperwork that one already has to fill out, she was so opposed to that particular form.

That -
    What's she been doing over there...
    was a joke, indicated by the smily. Sorry I touched a nerve..

yes she does work in the UK, however I fail to see what has to do with the US gov. as her taxes are paid to HM. Treasury.
    The grand inquisitor of the U.S., the IRS seeks to rob the coffers of its citizens at every opportunity: this includes monies gained outside the realm. Luckily some safeguards exist.

"We are lovers of beauty without extravagance and of learning without loss of vigor." -Thucydides

"The secret of Happiness is Freedom, and the secret of Freedom, Courage." -Thucydides

The grand inquisitor of the U.S., the IRS seeks to rob the coffers of its citizens at every opportunity: this includes monies gained outside the realm. Luckily some safeguards exist.
    Dear, dear God ...we do indeed have a common foe

realm.
    Thats a very interesting 'overhang'...

Tell me do you have such an entity as a 'Magistrate' in the US?

was a joke, indicated by the smily. Sorry I touched a nerve..
    Yes it touched my freedon nerve where governments need to learn their place...they are there for us...not the other way around....I give up
    Last edited by InsaneApache; 07-02-2005 at 19:18.

Blog Entries

Actually it is a valid concern by various governments. Especially if you live in the Caribbean and also have citizenship in America. If you make over 70,000 a year it may look suspicious, like working for a cartel. If I was actually doing my job and getting paid full, I would be pulling in close 120,000 a year, but instead I am making about 60,000 in 7 months (and then going to college). Also, the reason why the US is interested in how much you make is for taxes, if you make more than 70,000 Dollars a year, the US wants a cut of your money, even if you are living abroad (or so I have expirienced).

Most countries are rather supicious against it's citizens in regards to taxes. As I said before, tax is legalized theft and of course the gang members of IRS always tries to expand their territory.....

Dear, dear God ...we do indeed have a common foe
    Indeed.

Thats a very interesting 'overhang'...

Tell me do you have such an entity as a 'Magistrate' in the US?
    No.