Thread: SEGA secures publishing rights for RTW-BI

Default SEGA secures publishing rights for RTW-BI

Press release

i especially liked one of the key features announcements:

Improved battle AI and tactics - Individual faction fighting styles, swimming units across rivers and various new tactics.

Default Re: SEGA secures publishing rights for RTW-BI

Perhaps we can hope for some CA input here?

........Orda

Quote Originally Posted by Brighdaasa
    Press release

i especially liked one of the key features announcements:

Improved battle AI and tactics - Individual faction fighting styles, swimming units across rivers and various new tactics.
    Wow, we need a confirmation from one of the Devs. Particularly if this is a strategic map improvement or a battlemap one.

over 100 new units
    85 new units
    What?

What does that mean??
    Last edited by Viking; 07-02-2005 at 20:54.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

So many hopes. I might buy RTW again for BI now. I, to be honest, threw mine in the bin after using the disk as a coaster for a while. I was so disappointed with the issues in the game and even more so with the reaction to them from activsion. Now it looks like sega might have been listening and are giving it the development it needed. Hope this will also stop the slide into chaos on the forums with lots of happy threads ~Wavey back in time dream bit~ rember how happy we all were waiting for RTW to come out.
    Last edited by red comyn; 07-02-2005 at 21:00.

Quote Originally Posted by Viking
    What?

What does that mean??

100 new units, 85 new untis for barbarian cultures. so with some simple math 15 new units for non- barbarian cultures. I would asume. Although dont think its written well but as it comes after saying expanded barb; tech tree that how i read it.
    Last edited by red comyn; 07-02-2005 at 21:05.

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

I have mixed feelings about this.
    One one hand, I'm glad that CA isnt bound by Activision's "two patch policy". On the other hand, I dont know how hell Sega will treat CA. Only time will tell.

Well, Sega would have to try very hard to do worse than Activision...

Im wating for the promo trailor. That should tell us what its going to be like. And i hope i really do that Sega do do better than Activision.

"A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

It'll be hard for them to do worse.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by evil_maniac from mars
    It'll be hard for them to do worse.
    You really think so?!
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country.

The Sword of Rome Member Marcellus's Avatar

I'm sorry for being so incredibly ignorant, but what did Activision do to earn such great contempt?
    "Look Iíve got my old pledge card a bit battered and crumpled we said weíd provide more turches churches teachers and we have I can remember when people used to say the Japanese are better than us the Germans are better than us the French are better than us well itís great to be able to say weíre better than them I think Mr Kennedy well we all congratulate on his baby and the Tories are you remembering what Iím remembering boom and bust negative equity remember Mr Howard I mean are you thinking what Iím thinking Iím remembering itís all a bit wonky isnít it?"

-Wise words from John Prescott

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Activision was a bad part of the Total War games, unfortunately......

The 2 patch policy makes me angry....They could have done better....

Let's see what SEGA is going to do.....
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcellus
    I'm sorry for being so incredibly ignorant, but what did Activision do to earn such great contempt?
    Its do with games being released unfinished, unpolished and buggy. And then not wanting to patch the bugs (this goes back to MTW and VI). And making MP like pulling teeth. And dumbing down an already succesful strategy franchise. I remember people whining about EA being the publisher of STW, then pining after them when MTW was released under Activision

Gamse Publishers are like movie studios, they hold the purse strings, and force the creative people who have all the cool ideas to dumb everything down to the lowest common denominator in the misguided belief that the only way to make money is to target the masses.

Whilst there has been a lot of whining about CA, I think most people actually blame Activision for RTW being a buggy RTS click-fest. I know I do.

Heres hoping SEGA do what we all want, and allow CA to get on with what they do best - making awesome games
    "I request permanent reassignment to the Gallic frontier. Nay, I demand reassignment. Perhaps it is improper to say so, but I refuse to fight against the Greeks or Macedonians any more. Give my command to another, for I cannot, I will not, lead an army into battle against a civilized nation so long as the Gauls survive. I am not the young man I once was, but I swear before Jupiter Optimus Maximus that I shall see a world without Gauls before I take my final breath."

Senator Augustus Verginius

PapaSmurf Senior Member Louis de la Ferte Ste Colombe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marcellus
    I'd like to second Mount Suribashi, at least for the MP part going wrong...

Which also brings a question: is RTW (or the sequel) leaving gamespy too or not?

It's can get really any waorse than Gamespy...

Louis,
    [FF] Louis St Simurgh / The Simurgh

Simulation Monkey Member The_Mark's Avatar

And making MP like pulling teeth.
    I had a couple of teeth pulled out last thursday, it wasn't that bad. Admittedly my cheek has swollen to the size of a tennis ball and I haven't been able to eat proper, solid food for four days now...

Whilst there has been a lot of whining about CA, I think most people actually blame Activision for RTW being a buggy RTS click-fest. I know I do.
    True. I don't think that CA was never satisfied with Rome when it shipped out, if they were I'd given up hope long ago.

Heres hoping SEGA do what we all want, and allow CA to get on with what they do best - making awesome games
    Also true. As far as I know SEGA has done something promising: They sent a rep to the official forums a while ago. But, pardon me for this Terry Pratchett analogy: Now that Winder's dead, will SEGA be our Snapcase or Vetinari? I truly hope for the latter.

The Sword of Rome Member Marcellus's Avatar

Thanks for all the help in dispelling my ignorance.

Sounds like Activision did a pretty awful job. Let's just hope Sega does better.
    "Look Iíve got my old pledge card a bit battered and crumpled we said weíd provide more turches churches teachers and we have I can remember when people used to say the Japanese are better than us the Germans are better than us the French are better than us well itís great to be able to say weíre better than them I think Mr Kennedy well we all congratulate on his baby and the Tories are you remembering what Iím remembering boom and bust negative equity remember Mr Howard I mean are you thinking what Iím thinking Iím remembering itís all a bit wonky isnít it?"

-Wise words from John Prescott

robotica erotica Member Colovion's Avatar

I hope Sega does much better than Activision. I especially want them to finance a dedicated server built into the next release after BI.
    robotica erotica

I just hope that SEGA goes after the publishing rights to STW and MTW. Other wise those STW2 and MTW2 you guys are all dreaming about can never happen.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

I had put out a thread not to long ago in an attempt to understand the financing relationship between CA and Sega. It went unnoticed and quickly died. Oh well.

I am mostly curious as to what the funding relationship between CA and Sega is: Development? Production? Distribution and Promotion?

Is CA project development internally financed from prior projects or does CA require financing from Sega?

Quietus had passed from the grapevine that Sega does not micromanage CA in gameplay decisions. This is good news, but financing determines the number and quality of developers, as wells as equipment and technology, assigned to projects and their patches. Hence, financing determines quality.
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    The Backroom is the Crackroom.

Mad Lord Snapcase to replace Homicdal Lord Winder (a man with a very pointed sense of humour)? Who knows.. maybe we need a Vimes..
    - I'm sorry, but giving everyone an equal part when they're not clearly equal is what again, class?

- Communism!

- That's right. And I didn't tap all those Morse code messages to the Allies 'til my shoes filled with blood to just roll out the welcome mat for the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Mark
    I had a couple of teeth pulled out last thursday, it wasn't that bad. Admittedly my cheek has swollen to the size of a tennis ball and I haven't been able to eat proper, solid food for four days now...
    I can sympathize, I've had a toothache for the last month or so and it's slowly getting worse. Didn't get much sleep last night.

I'm frightened to go to the dentist because when I went to see him a few weeks ago he told me I have a lot of urgent dental work at hand. He costed my treatment plan at $3500 :(

Simulation Monkey Member The_Mark's Avatar

Mad Lord Snapcase to replace Homicdal Lord Winder (a man with a very pointed sense of humour)? Who knows.. maybe we need a Vimes..
    What we need is the god of Hangover to force them give CA patching right under the threat of a serious headache.

I knew there were Pratchett readers here..

screwtype: Get some painkillers, and sort your teeth out as fast as you can, no point in suffering because of them. And it's only going to get worse.