Thread: Places of interest in the USA..

AKA Leif 3000 TURBO Senior Member Leet Eriksson's Avatar

Default Places of interest in the USA..

In less than 9 days i'll be in the USA my first stop will be in Boston, any places of interest i should visit while there?

I'll also go all the way through the east cost ending in Miami beach, if any members could provide information about these places, i'd appreciate it.

Texas is Gods country! - SFTS
    SFTS = The rest =

Chief Biscuit Monitor Member professorspatula's Avatar

Default Re: Places of interest in the USA..

McDonalds.

There's one on every street and avenue.

Just look for the big M.
    Improving the TW Series one step at a time:

BI Extra Hordes & Unlocked Factions Mod: Available here.

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

Faisal,
    There's a LOT to do in Boston (just don't waste your time hanging around Logan airport). The Museum of Fine Arts which has it's own stop on the green line, is worth an afternoon by itself. It's got some incredible treasures in there, including some of the lions from ancient Babylon's Processional Way from the gate of Ishtar.

You can't go to Boston and not see the Red Sox, but tickets ain't cheap. I recommend you go during a Tuesday or a Wednesday day game (tickets are cheaper then).

If there's something else you want to do in a vein I haven't mentioned, let me know.

If you're driving down from Boston to Miami Beach, be sure to hit D.C. There's some awesome architecture and history there. If you have any interest in the US Civil war at all, let me know, and I'll tell you how to get to some of the major battlefields. Allow for 3 days of driving time to get from Boston to Miami. That'll make it a not to painful 8 hours a day in the car, maximum Obviously if you stop along the way, that shortens your time in the car. That should give you roughly 6 days to play with.

Some rough driving times, assuming traffic isn't too bad.

Boston -> New York City 4.5 hours
    New York City-> Philadelphia 2.5 hours
    Philadelphia-> Washington D.C 2 hours

Coastal Route:
    Washington D.C. to Norfolk VA (coastal route) 3 hours
    Norfolk VA to Wilmington NC 4 hours
    Wilmingotn NC to Charleston SC 3 hours
    Charleston SC to Savanah GA 3 hours
    Savanah GA to Jacksonville FL 2 hours
    Jacksonville FL to Daytona 6 hours
    Daytona FL to Miami area 6 hours

Inland Route:
    Washington D.C to Richmond VA 2.5 hours
    Richmond VA to Greensboro, NC 3 hours
    Stop in to visit Don Corleone and see a minor league baseball game: 1day
    Greensboro, NC to Columbia SC, 3 hours.
    From here, depends on whether you want to go to Orlando (lots of driving with not a lot in between) or cut back to the coast.

Have fun!!!
    Last edited by Don Corleone; 07-04-2005 at 16:36.
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Definately spend time in New York City, see a yankees game or a play of broadway if you can. It is a fantastic city.

I'll second the museum of fine arts, and the public library is worth a look too...parts of it look like a museum...

Oh thanks alot guys, especially Don

If you have any interest in the US Civil war at all, let me know, and I'll tell you how to get to some of the major battlefields.
    Oh yes, i am interested i wouldn't mind visiting the locations

Stop in to visit Don Corleone and see a minor league baseball game: 1day
    i'd be most honored to visit you, depending on schedule though but really if its possible i'll pm you and give you my contact information when i manage to secure me some form of communications (if you have vodafone or something similiar in the US).

Have fun!!!
    I most certainly will

Oh and thanks again for the info guys, feel free to add any places of interest on the east coast that i could visit, especially if it is a historical place or architecture
    SFTS = The rest =

Ambiguous Member Byzantine Prince's Avatar

Faisal, I was in Boston last year. It's not the best city to visit, but it does have some great things to look at. Definetly go to the Museum of Modern Art. It's amazing. They have a great ancient greek and egyptian collection. DON'T MISS IT!!!

Also look at the girls. There are no hot girls there, for some reason. I suspect it's because of that damn Harvard, it just attracts the wrong people(nerds).

Very Senior Member Gawain of Orkeny's Avatar

NYC and Washington DC would be the major attractions for you I would think. I really hope you enjoy your visit here and come back with a new understanding of America and its people. We aint really so bad.
    Fighting for Truth , Justice and the American way

Faisal, I was in Boston last year. It's not the best city to visit, but it does have some great things to look at. Definetly go to the Museum of Modern Art. It's amazing. They have a great ancient greek and egyptian collection. DON'T MISS IT!!!
    I'm coming with my sickly mom for medical purposes and Boston has my relatives living there and very good hospitals so its kinda the best option i have

NYC and Washington DC would be the major attractions for you I would think.
    I'm most definitly visiting both of these places.

I really hope you enjoy your visit here and come back with a new understanding of America and its people. We aint really so bad..
    Who said you are?

I have american friends, and they are very friendly, and despite my political ramblings i have absolutely nothing on the american people, seriously i love you guys (in a very decent way, honest! )

(*cough*where is the 2 hugging smilies? i think it would give a better image)
    SFTS = The rest =

Don't worry, I don't exist Member King of Atlantis's Avatar

In floridia you should go to Disney or if you dont like little kiddy stuff go to univeral(near disney)

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by King of Atlantis
    In floridia you should go to Disney or if you dont like little kiddy stuff go to univeral(near disney)
    Well, we did the typical American thing and went off half-cocked... spitting out suggestions before we had all the facts.

What interests you? What do YOU want to do?

The civil war battlefields are really easy to get to, as they're all within 10 miles of a major interstate (the interstates were just built over old thoroughfares, all the way back to when they started building roads). So Gettysburg, Antietam, Front Royal, Winchester and the rest of the Shenadoah all run along Interstate 81. Manasas, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsiville, Petersburg all lie along I-95. If there's one in particular you want to get to, let me know and I'll try to get you some info on it.

If you're more interested in US War for Independence, those battlefields tend to be in New England/NYC area or in North/South Carolina.
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Member Senior Member Proletariat's Avatar

While you're hunting for bullet shells on the battlefields (they're still fairly numerous), please stay clear of the rubes in Manassass. I live about 15 miles away, and boy are they toothless.

DC has very nice, free museums.

On your drive down, stop somewhere on the Eastern Shore (Maryland) and eat some crabs.

The best coffee you'll have here will probably be in Florida at a Cuban place. My favorite is in St Augustine (on the of the most beautiful but touristy places I've been to here.) If you get around to it, try the Colombia restaurant. I recommend the 1905 Salad.

As you move further south from Boston, notice how much more friendly people get with each mile down. By the time you get to Georgia you will have people worrying about how your day is going and if there's anything they can do for you while you're around.

Hope you have fun.

Senior Member Senior Member Jacque Schtrapp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Proletariat
    By the time you get to Georgia you will have people worrying about how your day is going and if there's anything they can do for you while you're around.
    Funny and true with one exception: Don't get on the freeways in Atlanta and expect to be greeted friendly. We have to drive fast and reckless in order to have the extra schmoozing time to meet the expectations of visiting foreigners as laid down by our northern neighbors.

Welcome and have a fantastic trip faisal!

boy of DESTINY Senior Member Big_John's Avatar

whoa! a 2500+ post senior member i've never even seen before! i spend too much time in the tavern.
    now i'm here, and history is vindicated.

If you're going down the east coast Ill reiterate Don's suggestion of the Civil War battlefields.. very fun.

Chief Sniffer Senior Member ichi's Avatar

In Washington, check out the Smithsonian and the monuments

have fun and let us know how you like it

ichi

ps i live out west too bad you can't get out here its really very nice
    Stay Calm, Be Alert, Think Clearly, Act Decisively

CoH

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

the bunker beneath the white house where they drink tea with osama

We do not sow.

Thanks for the posts guys

I got the tickets and i'll be ready to fly in a few days. Oh and besides the battlefield locations, i'd be interested in a museum that displays the weaponry and such on both sides of the war.

This is my last post on the .org in the UAE once i arrive i'll check this thread again , i'll also make a new thread (hopefully) with pictures of places i have been too, i think non-US members of this forum would be interested
    SFTS = The rest =

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

Yes yes! Many pictures please.
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

Kanto Kanrei Member Marshal Murat's Avatar

Be careful down south (Florida) Dennis is coming and it won't be the last.
    Also, just as a caution,
    The farther south you get in Florida, the more northern it becomes
    you say Miami, not Meame

North Carolina is a beautiful mountain state, lot of people are of Scot/Irish descent (along with Virginia) and there you may hear bagpipes (fair warning)

Virginia is a great place to visit (Virginia is for lovers)
    Richmond has a old time elegance
    The city is large, but downtown, you can visit the Museum of the Confederacy (bad parking). From that point, the land around you unfolds. As you go down the main street, you'll cross under old railroad bridges, and ahead is the Edgar Allen Poe Museum. Contiuning on there is a massive hill (Richmond is very hilly) with a Confederate soldier (go up in the afternoon, twilight) and under you will be the dead of a fatal railroad accident.
    Go to Cary Street (if you have the time) its the cultural center (my uncle has a shop, Alter-Natives)
    "Nietzsche is dead" - God

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

Re: Pursuit of happiness
    Have you just been dumped?

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.