Thread: To pack in one's job

Humanist Senior Member Franconicus's Avatar

Default To pack in one's job

Germany's Kanzler is in trouble. The Bundesrat (similar to the Senate) belongs to the right and can block most of new laws. Polls indicate that the population is not happy at all with Schroeder's government. At this point he decided to go for elections, even though he would have had still one year to rule.

Is it acceptable that a government leader just packin his job?

Default Re: To pack in one's job

I wish Bliar would get a move on.....
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

Question on German politics:

The right-wingers are the Christian Democrats, right? Do they like the US? I'm pretty sure Schroeder doesn't like us...

Or am I seriously confused?

Hell Alex, why does everything have to get turned into a debate about the US and how everything - every bloody subject in this forum - has to get turned into revolving around the US. It does get quite annoying.

I think Schroeder was pretty bold in declaring the election, even if the result in the province - I forget which one it was - effectively meant his govt would of had an even harder time. It was bold but also stupid, however. He is going to lose the election in a landslide, which is a shame as it is always hard to see a centre left party get thrown out, especially as they are in a coalition with the greens which has brought so much benefit to the country.

As for him 'packing his job in', firstly I doubt very much that he called the election to effectively resign, and even if he did I see no problem with that. It is going to be decided at an election of the German people, so there is no loss to your democracy.

And IA - keep dreaming.
    Last edited by Ser Clegane; 07-05-2005 at 08:58. Reason: Edited to remove profanity :-)
    GARCIN: I "dreamt," you say. It was no dream. When I chose the hardest path, I made my choice deliberately. A man is what he wills himself to be.
    INEZ: Prove it. Prove it was no dream. It's what one does, and nothing else, that shows the stuff one's made of.
    GARCIN: I died too soon. I wasn't allowed time to - to do my deeds.
    INEZ: One always dies too soon - or too late. And yet one's whole life is complete at that moment, with a line drawn neatly under it, ready for the summing up. You are - your life, and nothing else.

Jean Paul Sartre - No Exit 1944

Don't worry, I don't exist Member King of Atlantis's Avatar

I think it is very bads for a leader to just packin his job, but then agian i dont know much about german politics.

So your leader can just call up an election?

Jag- The canada day thread didnt end up about america

Senior Member Senior Member Ser Clegane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by King of Atlantis
    So your leader can just call up an election?
    Now, that is a winner question that touches the core of the issue. The Constitution does not allow the Chancellor to call up an election.

However, in this case this is circumvented by a little trick (that also has been used in the past).
    The Chancellor can ask for a vote of confidence in the Parliament (which Schröder did) and if he loses it (which Schröder did in spite of a majority of the current coalition in the Parliament, because he wanted to lose it), he can ask the President to call up new elections.

The President than has to decide whether a call for new elections is justified (e.g., if the current government is incapable of action). As some members of Parliament will not follow the argumentation that the administration is incapable of action (after all they still have the majority in the Parliament), they will most likely drag this issue to the Supreme Court which will then ultimately have to decide whether an early election in this case is in line with our Constitution or not.

So, do you think he genuinely wants the people to have a different leader, because they do not like his political stance, or do you think it isr some other political ploy?

Don't worry, I don't exist Member King of Atlantis's Avatar

German politics are confusing, but you did a good job explaining.

This is the first thread that I have ever seen the word "x". I thought that was actually the most interesting thing in the discussion. Just because "x" is so rarely used.
    Last edited by Ser Clegane; 07-05-2005 at 08:57. Reason: Edited for profanity ... uhm ... to remove profanity
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    The Backroom is the Crackroom.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanamori
    So, do you think he genuinely wants the people to have a different leader, because they do not like his political stance, or do you think it isr some other political ploy?
    If it is a ploy he must have a hell of an ace left in his sleeve, because given the current situation his chances to win the planned elections are almost nil.

I think after his party lost each and every regional election during the past 2 years and as he is facing increasing criticism from within his own party, he is just favouring a clear cut and wants to give the people the opportunity to vote him out if they want to.

The problem is, that the opposition does not have a clear concept either ... no actually that's not the real problem we have.
    The real problem we have is that in the past years no administration had the guts to make anything but half-assed reform attempts (it's always along the lines of "well let's reduce/increase some taxes here - but, hey, to balance it out we increase/reduce some taxes there"), which is also due to the fact that we almost permanently have regional elections going on somewhere in the country - and as soon as the the federal administration starts some reforms that are going to hurt they get punished for it in the next regional elections.

Quote Originally Posted by Divinus Arma
    This is the first thread that I have ever seen the word "x". I thought that was actually the most interesting thing in the discussion. Just because "x" is so rarely used.
    And the fun is over

Well I read it before 'x' got inserted...and imho it was more than justified.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander the Pretty Good
    Question on German politics:

The right-wingers are the Christian Democrats, right? Do they like the US? I'm pretty sure Schroeder doesn't like us...

Or am I seriously confused?
    Right wingers are the Christian Democrats and Christian Social Party.
    They like the US and supported the Iraq war. Their candidate even flew to the White House and apologized for the official German position.
    By the way Social Democrats love Americans to, like most Germans

Quote Originally Posted by Ser Clegane
    If it is a ploy he must have a hell of an ace left in his sleeve, because given the current situation his chances to win the planned elections are almost nil.
    I have a theory about his ace. I believe that Bush told the NATO countries to attack Iran in August. So Schroeder decided to have elections this September. However, Bush heard that and postponed the attack to spring! Tricky guy

Quote Originally Posted by Ser Clegane
    And the fun is over
    lol! Fair enough. I thought those were banned words anyway.
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    The Backroom is the Crackroom.

Quote Originally Posted by Franconicus
    I have a theory about his ace. I believe that Bush told the NATO countries to attack Iran in August. So Schroeder decided to have elections this September.
    Hmm ... actually that might even work