Thread: NEW MAPS!

Senior Member Senior Member Vanya's Avatar

I have uploaded 5 new maps to the Org! Soon, Tosa will make them available to the world! (Tosa: vanyamaps2.zip is the file with all 5 in it...)

[Sips sake, eats popcorn]

Senior Member Senior Member Kraellin's Avatar

cool beans, vanya.

now, if we could just get folks to use our maps.

K.

------------------
    I'm sorry, but i never apologize.

Ain't that the truth! Although I can proudly say I have played 3 games so far online on my vanyasake map!

One day, they will venture onto these new maps and think of themselves as Columbus...

Hey, I'd play your maps if you played my mods

------------------
    -Matt

Visit the Center for the Enrichment of Shogun Total War here.

the goldfish Senior Member tootee's Avatar

how true.. it's harder getting people to play the new maps, than making the maps themselves.

--tootee aka goldfish shimazu
    tootee the goldfish,
    loyal roach of Clan S.G.

Nur-ad-Din Forum Administrator TosaInu's Avatar

Konnichiwa Vanya san,

Thanks for uploading your mappack. I just posted them.

JerichoPrime made a nice map too.

------------------
    Ja mata
    Toda MizuTosaInu
    Daimyo Takiyama Shi

http://www.takiyama.cjb.net
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Cool... thanks!

Senior Member Senior Member Obake's Avatar

I think there needs to be a shameless self-promotion thread in GD for the map makers.

A little bit of marketing will go a long way to getting the community to get away from Totomi and on the other maps.

Certainly doesn't hurt that Magy is using some of them in his campaign.

Personally, I prefer playing on the maps that we've made rather than the original maps from the game. Makes things more interesting. Some of my favorites include Magyarorsag, Tami Kotchi, Vanyasake (yes Vanya, your Map), Retroshima and a few others. Since I've mentioned shameless self-promotion I'm going to throw in Horselands on my favorites list and a new one I'm going to upload tonight when I get home called Ob Lakeside WLE.

Krae, you get the credit for building among the most challenging and visually stunning maps out there. I also can't say enough about the help that you provided me as I was getting started in map-making for the community.

Perhaps we should start a map review thread like Kikujiro had/has on his site where the community can rate the maps on attacker/defender/overall playability, visual aesthetics and any other category we think should be in there.

We could, in that way entice more people to download and actually try the maps and the ratings will be something that people could use as a reference when determining what maps they'll play on.

What do you guys think?

------------------
    Obake

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
    Obake

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

I think that is a good idea, Obake-san! If you liked Vanyasake, maybe you will like my others too, which are: Vanyawa, Vanyachi, Vanyarima, Vanyagahara and Vanyatsu. Some are hillier than others, but none have rivers, water bodies of any kind or castles. I believe there are 2 large maps, 1 medium and 2 small. I've had a blast on all of them when trying them out in custom mode. Vanyasake 'was my first' and will always occupy a special place in my head satchel. I will be the first to say I made some cosmetic goofs as far as the tiling goes on Vanyasake (all minor, and mostly unnoticeable), but I believe those such things do not afflict my new incarnations.

My 7th map in the works should be a treat as well... and it will feature a cool 'surprise' in its TGA view... (irrelevant, I know, but cool nonetheless...).

I can honestly say that in the 3 games I've played online on Vanyasake, I have had to really think things through as both defender and attacker. Heck, I've only won once on my own map! GAH! I take it as a sign of the tactical richness of my map. I think my other maps will offer similar tactical options, although with 1.2 noticeable exceptions, the new ones are flatter...

And I was very pleased to see Vanyasake in Magy's campaign -- and on a water way no less! WOOHOO! I had hoped that as a result, more people would have it and play on it... GAH! Next time I'm on, maybe someone will host a 2v2, 3v3 or 4v4 on Vanyasake or one of my new maps...

GAH!

[This message has been edited by Vanya (edited 11-15-2001).]

As long as we're talking about the popularization of a richer STW here..

Allow me to speak up:

You in the mapping "guild" may feel slighted in that your maps frequently go to no use, but at least you've had the benefit of recognition and oxygen. One area which has recieved no attention, support, or acknowledgement whatsoever is the "guild" of game modification.

So while you in the former guild continue to soldier on, though troubled by the difficulty of popular acceptance, nearly all who had previously subscribed to the latter guild have long jumped ship, leaving its real existence as a "guild" seriously in question. Work is done only to be ignored in the chaos and apathy, only to be redone in haphazard fashion by feckless idealistic newbs.

Now please understand, I agree one hundred and ten percent with you map-makers, and laud your quest to improve the gaming experience. But I would submit that if a person were really serious about enriching this game, they would give some thought to ways the game itself could be improved, and perhaps give some notice to those who have labored in a dark and thankless void thus far to further this end.

------------------
    -Matt

Visit the Center for the Enrichment of Shogun Total War here.

what's all this depression from lack of mod use? I don't know about online, cuz lately I can't seem to get on and I wasn't a big online gamer anyway, but I've downloaded all the community maps and usually the news ones that come out on the org. They're great! A good half of my single player Shogun playing is experimenting in custom battles. This includes new and exciting maps from the community.

I've also downloaded a number of camp mods (aside from the camp editer itself, which I have a blast with), including Khan7's ACW, and aahhh... I love you guys.

It can be assumed that I speak for the entire Shogun community now, right?

------------------
    My name is Klen Sakurai. I am samurai.
    All quotes are terrrible!

Senior Member Senior Member Kraellin's Avatar

thanks obake :)

and yes, sometimes the only pat on the back is the one you give yourself. a little 'shameless' self-promotion is sometimes necessary. hmm, maybe i could get a tele-marketer to call all you guys and promote my maps ;)

khan7,

you are noticed, m8. despair not. hope is still alive. that's all i can say for now.

K.

------------------
    I'm sorry, but i never apologize.