Thread: Live8 is noble but a sham.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Pining for the glory days... Member lancelot's Avatar

Default Live8 is noble but a sham.

As many of you have probably not noticed, I have been away for a month, touring but Im back now and thought I might share some facts from the road, regarding the selfless proponents of charity, especially U2, coldplay, Sir Bob and such like.

The thing that gets me with many of these acts is how they preach anti-poverty and assisting nations, whilst being some of the wealthiest people around, knowing nothing but extreme afluence... (and especially on tour, these people want for NOTHING)

Some Facts for your consideration-
    -Sir Bob Geldof owns 4 hotels...(I dont see him selling these for cash)

-Coldplay were flown to live 8 specially to perform for 'free' They took a private jet, which lands at military bases, to the tune of 20k...

-Elton john regularly wastes 30k+ on Flowers!!! (I think it got to 80 once!)

-After many performances on their UK tour, U2 were flown by private jet to the south of france to hang out, returning the next day...

-Any concert (L8, no exception is filled with lavish hospitality suites for the band and their guests, costing a fortune...All of which is funds that could have gone to charity)

These facts really annoy me, because they are the complete antithesis of what L8 is about.

-Thousands of tickets were given away to celebrities.

-Much of the area towards the front row was for 'VIP' guests.

And this, is probably the worst and littlest know fact about L8..

-Even though the artist performed for 'free' they all recieved 'goody bags' for taking the time out of their busy schedules. These bags included, clothes, ipods and HOLIDAYS!!!...and thats for starters. Each bag was valued at about £7k.

Now, dont get me wrong boys and girls, L8 was a noble gesture but the fact remains that for these people to stand on a stage and preach lofty morals and equality of wealth is the hight of hypocrisy IMHO, yet they act as the spokespersons of many charities that aim to take money from the average citizen...to me, thats kinda sick.

Anyway.... glad to be back
    "England expects that every man will do his duty" Lord Nelson

"Extinction to all traitors" Megatron

"Lisa, if the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasn't, it's that girls should stick to girls sports, such as hot oil wrestling and foxy boxing and such and such." Homer Simpson

Default Re: Live8 is noble but a sham.

you are correct - popular support is always better than a few stars preaching. However, it is not really for charity, as I see it, it is more a PR stunt to put some focus on it.

But you are completely right, the height of hypocrisy.

Welcome back :D
    Last edited by Sjakihata; 07-06-2005 at 18:24.
    Common Unreflected Drinking Only Smartens

U2 donated several millions out of their own pocket.

They use their fame to get attention for a situation they feel is unjust.
    If you don´t like the fact seals get clubbed to death, does that mean you also can´t wear leather shoes?

Live8 was not about raising money anyway, it was about getting attention.
    Last edited by Mithrandir; 07-06-2005 at 19:06.
    Abandon all hope.

Scruffy Looking Nerf Herder Member Steppe Merc's Avatar

I agree with Mithrandir. Yes they are rich. But they could have been spending that time getting even richer, without a thought about others. Of course it could have been better, more noble, less corrupt. But seeing how corrupt and money driven the music buisness has become, it's a step foward, IMO.

Just out of curosity, who have you been touring with?

"But if you should fall you fall alone,
    If you should stand then who's to guide you?
    If I knew the way I would take you home."
    Grateful Dead, "Ripple"

Its all about ego and self importance for those people.

Prematurely Anti-Fascist Senior Member Aurelian's Avatar

They're not that bad. Most of the rockstar types came from middle or working class households, so you can't say they know 'nothing but extreme affluence'. Their wealth and lifestyles maybe extreme, but at least they made their money by making people happy. That's got to count for something. Of course, they're at least using their celebrity to promote the cause... although self-promotion is another reason they show up at these events.

I do think the 'gift basket' concept for stars is creepy. The companies line up at major celebrity events with thousands of dollars worth of free merchandise for some of the wealthiest people in society. The concept is that stars using those products is going to promote sales. Not sure if it does in reality.

Quote Originally Posted by PanzerJager
    Its all about ego and self importance for those people.

Right

Whatever their purposes are, it suits the same goal... a good one.
    Abandon all hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Steppe Merc
    Yes they are rich. But they could have been spending that time getting even richer, without a thought about others.

ah, but Live 8 was and IS making them richer

the album sales of the artists on Live 8 have soared tremendously as a direct result of Live 8. i read on article about that just yesterday

performing at Live 8 publicity = much more money straight into the pockets of the celebrities

to think anything else is lying to yourself

Live 8 is a clever franchise.... We have to give them that...

The Orgs Prophet of RATM Member IrishMike's Avatar
    Somewhere in the defensive area of a soccer field, slaughtering puny strikers.

Quote Originally Posted by Navaros
    ah, but Live 8 was and IS making them richer

the album sales of the artists on Live 8 have soared tremendously as a direct result of Live 8. i read on article about that just yesterday

performing at Live 8 publicity = much more money straight into the pockets of the celebrities

to think anything else is lying to yourself

Not so fast there. Bands Give Earnings

Pink Floyd said it would give its album earnings to charity, and so have a few other bands followed, such as The Who and Paul McCartney. So its not making all richer.
    When ignorance reigns life is lost.

War is norm, Fight the War, Screw the norm!