Thread: The WEATHER in BLTW

Default The WEATHER in BLTW

Yes, the weather...

This is very very important to the success of the game. Frankly I've found each succeeding version of the Total War series has downplayed the importance of weather...

In ShogunTotal War the weather was incredible not only in battlefield tactics but in creating a definite atmosphere. There were heavy fogs, damp misty mountains, driving torrential rainstorms, and incredible howling blizzards. I loved the blizzards. In fact STW gave off an incredible atmosphere of climate that has been rarely matched in its successors. MTW had it's desert sandstorms it's true, and I loved dealing with the tactical problems this brought on but really the atmosphere just isnt't there,though I have had one good battle in the fog with the British in RTW.

Please, Hoggy, if it's at all possible, boost the weather values in your mod. It would be very cool if some new hellish skies could be ported into the landscapes for the land of the Daemons. And there could be some nightmarish black driving rainstorms there too. Nothing like having the enemy howling down out ot the mountains just as a torrential downpour bursts on your head...

And Korea and northern China will need some really wicked snowstorms, not like the wimpy few flakes of snow we get now in RTW...
    Last edited by Ferocious_Imbecile; 07-06-2005 at 19:15.

Senior Member Senior Member hoggy's Avatar

Default Re: The WEATHER in BLTW

sounds interesting, we'll have to look into tweaking weather, i hadn't thought of it. top idea.

One other subtle point; if you examine the snow on the ground texture in STW and compare it to MTW and RTW there's no question that the STW texture is vastly superior, particularly on clear sunny winter days when there's no snow falling at all..

Just making the ground flat white is no way to do snow...it's got to have this subtle blue rippling on it...hard to describe but when you see it in STW you'll see what I mean. Just flat white is really bleak and quite unrealistic looking.

Don't worry, I don't exist Member King of Atlantis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hoggy
    sounds interesting, we'll have to look into tweaking weather, i hadn't thought of it. top idea.
    You will probably have to wait for BI. It will include night battles, meaning the sky can change, which i dont think it can in vanillia. Some people made a night battle mod, but in it you can only play night battles.

I wonder if the ground snow terrain textures for the battlemap maker could be ported over from STW to RTW?
    Last edited by Ferocious_Imbecile; 07-08-2005 at 02:45.

Quote Originally Posted by King of Atlantis
    You will probably have to wait for BI. It will include night battles, meaning the sky can change, which i dont think it can in vanillia. Some people made a night battle mod, but in it you can only play night battles.
    There's already several different skies in RTW...surely you could just add one..it's just another texture to be mapped on to the sky dome...

ohhh, then how come they cant mod night battles?

Quote Originally Posted by King of Atlantis
    ohhh, then how come they cant mod night battles?
    I'm not sure...after all there's already night battles in the custom battles...

yes, and in the mod they can make night battles, but then they cant switch back, either night or day and you have to stick with it.

I think it has to go with the fact that to mod a night battle it is not just a retexture of the sky, its atmospheric aswell with the effect on the models aswell.

Duke John (Sengoku Jidai (sp?), has successfully moded the sky. Not nightbattles, but the regular sky and made it much more ominous looking. He posted some pics of it in the EB sub forum.
    When I said Death before Dishonour, I meant alphabetically.

Haven't you guys ever heard of the Skymod? It makes your normal looking skies into crazy beautiful ones. It's over at TWC, I think a guy named Archer made it.

I would of expected the weather to be dark and gloomy, thanks to the demons invading. But thats my view...

Probably Drunk Member Reverend Joe's Avatar

Crazy, beautiful skies, eh? Sounds good... I usually listen to Pink Floyd while playing RTW; this sounds like a good way to enhance the experience. (No, that's not sarcasm- I really do listen to Floyd with my games.)

The skies, however, are a moot point, because during adverse weather conditions, the whole sky goes gray or white. All you will really have to do is create incredible blizzards, pea-soup fogs, and pouring rainstorms. If you can find the appropriate effects file, it will be easy. The problem is finding the right file.

If you can find that file, why not make the lightning much more frequent? Just tone down the thunder sound, or make it not occur on most strikes, and you will have an amazing light show with the really bad thunder storms.

Well, good luck, Hoggy et team- may your in-game weather be beautiful!

Hellish skies for the daemonic kindgom

http://carabelta.free.fr/eicon/Brueg...ella_morte.jpg

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ghlight=Skymod

Just scroll down, any cool looking skies are the skymod.

Could be your God Member Abokasee's Avatar

hey hoggy maybe there could large flaming metors falling from the sky when fighting demons
    Now with transparent layers!

Lost on the Internet? Go back to start.

Insanity perhaps is inevitable Member shifty157's Avatar

Ferocious Imbecile you make a very good point. I agree completely. More prominent weather would add so much more atmosphere to the game and make individual battles much more interesting.