Poll: Missile or Melee?

Thread: Pontic Heavy Cavalry

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Pontic Heavy Cavalry

Do you class them as Melee or Missile cavalry?

i have always thought of them as a weak heavy melee unit but its been argued that they are a true missile unit due to "cantibrain circle" and they can skirmish.

i used to think that they were melee, i am not sure if the name "Pontic heavy cavalry" made me thought that they were heavy cavalry. they are a decent melee unit and can beat most light cavalry but against heavy cavalry get beat by everything.

therefor i think they are missile, but are mis-seen as melee due to their name

Blue Eyed Samurai Senior Member Wishazu's Avatar

Default Re: Pontic Heavy Cavalry

i agree with missile, me and preston just had a massive discussion about this on xfire.
    "Wishazu does his usual hero thing and slices all the zombies to death, wiping out yet another horde." - Askthepizzaguy, Resident Evil: Dark Falls

"Move not unless you see an advantage; use not your troops unless there is something to be gained; fight not unless the position is critical"
    Sun Tzu the Art of War

Blue eyes for our samurai
    Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    For your home is now the Org
    By Gregoshi

Senior Member Senior Member Cheetah's Avatar

Technically missile, practically can be both.
    Lional of Cornwall
    proud member of the Round Table Knights

"If you wish to weaken the enemy's sword, move first, fly in and cut!" - Ueshiba Morihei O-Sensei

Erm. Both? Why is there no both option?

I use them to pepper with their javelins (theres not that many and it won't take long) and then charge them in, or flank with them.

You guys think too much in "black and white" as they say. There is sometimes a grey you know?

black and white has nothing to do with it, this is to do with the sets of rules that people play with online. One of the most common is 5 max missile cav and 5 max melee cav, in a couple of games recently ive played as pontus and have been accused of cheating because i took 4 cappadocians and a chariot as my melee cav and 4 pontic heavy cav as my missile cav. this poll is purely to determine what everyone thinks they should be classed as.
    "Wishazu does his usual hero thing and slices all the zombies to death, wiping out yet another horde." - Askthepizzaguy, Resident Evil: Dark Falls

"Move not unless you see an advantage; use not your troops unless there is something to be gained; fight not unless the position is critical"
    Sun Tzu the Art of War

Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    By Gregoshi

Tuff one. I should of voted misile but i voted melle because thats what i use them as. There misiles dont really do much damage andd dont last all that long. Maby put a rule not only 5 max melle cav and 5 max misile cav but 5 max skirmishing cav? Dont know if it would work though.

"A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

Nothing can replace cataphracts. They are the ultimate Pikemen-braking-archer-crushing-cavalry-of-doom

cataphract archers do not have the bonus` against armour that regular cats do, they can be used to bolster a cav battle by flanking but you would never use them as an actual melee cav wing, unless your only up against something like Greek light cav lol

Sun Tzu the Art of War

Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    By Gregoshi