Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Playtesters Needed

Vermonter and Seperatist Member Uesugi Kenshin's Avatar

Default Playtesters Needed

The first 2-4 people who offer their playtesting/balance testing services will be given the most recent internal beta of CTW and will help me test it for bugs and balance the units. Please make sure you will be on the forum relatively consistently, have time to test the beta and it is preferred that you have a broadband connection, though the testing can be done with a dial-up connection.
    "A man's dying is more his survivor's affair than his own."
    C.S. Lewis

"So many people tiptoe through life, so carefully, to arrive, safely, at death."
    Jermaine Evans

The Orgs Prophet of RATM Member IrishMike's Avatar
    Somewhere in the defensive area of a soccer field, slaughtering puny strikers.

Default Re: Playtesters Needed

I would be quite happy and honored to play test this mod for you. I have lots of free time, with this being summer and school being out.

Btw, I do have a broadband connection.
    Last edited by IrishMike; 07-07-2005 at 04:17.
    When ignorance reigns life is lost.

War is norm, Fight the War, Screw the norm!

Altogether quite not there! Member GodsPetMonkey's Avatar

A few more things to add to Uesugi's list.

At this stage it is mostly finding and reporting bugs, not general playtesting, so it would be handy if you have a keen eye (some of the graphical issues can be hard to spot).
    It will also be usefull if you have a reasonably powerful graphics card, as not all the LOD models have been completed.

You don't need to be well versed in RTW modding (though it wont hurt), testers will just be finding, then reporting back to the developers. I do ask that you know how to make screen grabs, and are able to crop and upload pictures, which really help speed up the process (we don't want full 1024x768 shots for some small graphical glitch). It is also a good idea to have enough HDD space for a spare install which you use for the beta.

You also don't need to be particularly familiar with the history (we aren't looking for historical testing ), though the mod may be boring if you prefer say, 15thC Japanese history to that of Europe.

Of course the biggest requirement is you have plenty of time to play the mod, and report back to the team, fully understanding that the mod is still being worked on, and is far from a 'finished' product.
    Last edited by GodsPetMonkey; 07-07-2005 at 05:02.
    Caligula and Hadrian - Unit and Building editors for Rome: Total War.
    Now editing -
    export_descr_unit.txt, export_descr_unit_enums.txt, export_units.txt, descr_model_battle.txt
    export_descr_buildings.txt, export_descr_buildings_enums.txt, export_buildings.txt

The Orgs Prophet of RATM Member IrishMike's Avatar
    Somewhere in the defensive area of a soccer field, slaughtering puny strikers.

Oh ic, well then I would not be the best canidate for the job. I know almost nothing of the internal workings of the game. While I would be excellently suited for later testing, such as extensive balancing and working out combat, I do not think I would be good at this stage after all then.
    When ignorance reigns life is lost.

War is norm, Fight the War, Screw the norm!

You don't need to be well versed in the workings of RTW, just have a keen eye. For instance, one problem with models is a paticular vertex may be wrongly wieghted, resilting in a wierd spike coming from the model when it moves. This is the kind of thing we really are working on now. We don't expect testers to do any modding themselves.
    Now editing -
    export_descr_unit.txt, export_descr_unit_enums.txt, export_units.txt, descr_model_battle.txt
    export_descr_buildings.txt, export_descr_buildings_enums.txt, export_buildings.txt

HI Citadel Team,

I've been following your mod for a while now, and would love to test its performance in custom battles. My specs:

512K ADSL

PC:
    2.66Ghz P4
    768MB DDR RAM
    128MB GeForce 5200 (I know, pretty shitty)
    80 GB HDD

I can spot bugs, glitches and model/texture faults. I'll probably test it on the lower ends (low and normal unit sizes, maybe large), and on various different maps. I'm pretty "well versed" in modding (although I can only script), my position as leader of the Troy Total War mod means I can recognise and analise all the modified aspects.

cheers, dark_shadow89

Blog Entries

I would like to offer you my services. I have a keen eye for spotting errors and glitches within the game, I am not particularly well versed in code, but I could most certainly help in Game Play Balancing issues and Spotting Bugs within the game. If you have any further questions regarding my candidacy please PM me.

Boondock Saint Senior Member The Blind King of Bohemia's Avatar

I would like very much to be a tester. My hands are busy with a mod i'm working on but i have the time and the eye to spot some problems

I would love it to test your mod finally out!

One little problem is that i got exams right now lasting about 2-3 weeks from now on. But i can spare some time, especially at the weekends. After the exams
    i will have much free-time.

So, if you are still in need of testers sign me in. Sure that i would look for every single pixel shining wrong and especially the game balances.

Here we go: ColdKnight, Dark_Shadow89, Wazikashi and BKB you guys are the firts batch of playtesters. I will send you all pm's to clarify some things and all that.

Gelatinous Cube and Janissary Karamurat if we have need of more playtesters in the future (which we probably will) you will be the first to be pm'ed.
    C.S. Lewis

"So many people tiptoe through life, so carefully, to arrive, safely, at death."
    Jermaine Evans

Janissary and Gelatinous Cube are you two still interested?

We need some more playtesters so if you are you get first dibs. Other people should also volunteer though.
    C.S. Lewis

Jermaine Evans

Quote Originally Posted by Uesugi Kenshin
    We need some more playtesters so if you are you get first dibs. Other people should also volunteer though.
    Unit stats are now being worked on, it's not just bug hunting anymore, so it's a good idea that you have time to spare to play a large number of games (even some MP games, as it's hard to do decent testing vs the AI).
    Now editing -

I'd love to help! I've got plenty of time, descent specs and plenty of time! Your mod looks as if it's going to be really good, I bet getting the cannons to work and the guns must have taken a lot of time and effort, well done!

Hi,

this weeks my last with exams. From Friday on i am free for beta-testing, and surely i want still test your mod i have waited for so long.

Just let know, if thats still alright, i will be ready.

GodsPetMonkey a friend of mine who also has RTW is coming over Thursday so we should be able to playtest then.

Waiting for Gelatinous to answer and for a few more playtesters. I will pm everyone who is chosen in about 6 hours when I get on again.
    C.S. Lewis

Jermaine Evans

I'd be willing to playtest. Have nothing else to do for a couple weeks, now that I've finished summer school and reading Harry Potter. Plus, this mod looks great.

Ok, ColdKnight can't playtest anymore because he has a crazy soccer coach who is giving them huge amounts of practice time.

Here are the playtesters that so far have slots and will be getting pm's: Lief, Janissary Karamurat and Dionysos.

I am going to pm Galtinous Cube to make sure he hasn't missed the thread and if he takes a slot we will still need about two more people I am guessing.
    C.S. Lewis

Jermaine Evans

I'd be willing to try and help out if i could.

Member Member Withmyspearandmagichelmet!!!'s Avatar
    Scotland. Land of the free and the brave, or so i'm told.

Wink Re: Playtesters Needed

If you a second batch of Play testers i'd be happy to oblige. One way or another i always seem to fall victim to every negative glitch in a game. So it's likely that if there are problems with the mod then i will encounter them. I also have been following the progress of your mod and i'm impressed by your work and can't wait to try it out.

Wokimotto and his Spear and Magic Helmet
    Battle of Montebello

General Forey: "Can your regiments Charge?"
    General De Sonnaz: "We always charge!"

The Italian Light Cavalry won the day with a series of bloody charges.

Welcome to the Org you two!

Do you both have a good deal of time to devote to finding bugs and testing the balance of the game? If so I will be happy to add you to the list.

I believe we need one more as Gelatinous Cube is too busy to help.
    C.S. Lewis

Jermaine Evans

Yep , got alot of time to spare atm , probably too much actually .

Ok, I am going to wait until ten just in case someone else joins as a playtester, then I will pm you and the other new playtesters about where to get the beta.
    C.S. Lewis

Jermaine Evans

Hi! I hope I'm not too late! I'd love to help test this mod. I've been very impressed by the work so far (been lurking for a while without registering.... ^^;; ). I have a reasonably fast machine, and PLENTY of spare time, but I have a SLOW inernet connection (nothing else available where I live.... ^^;;). As I said, though, I'd love to help in any way possible. Thanks!
    Marcus Iulius

Right here are the last people to be included in this round of recruiting: Withmyspearandmagichelmet!!!, MetalSlug, goliath88.

I will pm each of you with the location of the beta.
    C.S. Lewis

Jermaine Evans

Hi,

im free now (exams over for now). I hope im already in your list included. Please let me take part then. Like Yggdrasil said, i could also look for correct pronounced names of the ottoman units or cities. If im still in, so dont hesitate sending me your files. Pls tell me, if yes or not.

You are on the list, I sent you a private message. Check out the top right hand corner of the board and you should see where you can find out about it. That pm will explain what to do about getting the files.

It would be great if you could get us the correct names for Ottoman units/cities and such!
    C.S. Lewis

Jermaine Evans

Forever British Member King Ragnar's Avatar

Can anyone be a playtester, if so i would like to be one.
    Vote For The British nationalist Party.
    Say no to multi-culturalism.

Almost anyone, but we are done recruiting for the moment. If the new playtesters don't work out though we will have more positions, if we do I will reserve a spot for you as long as you have time to playtest.
    C.S. Lewis

Jermaine Evans

Forever British Member King Ragnar's Avatar

Its the summer holidays so i have loads of time, and thank you for reserving me a place.
    Vote For The British nationalist Party.
    Say no to multi-culturalism.

All playtesters from the newest batch (goliath, withmyspear and metalslug) you have not yet been added to the list, but that should be resolved soon.
    C.S. Lewis

Jermaine Evans

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast