Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Blasts hit London bus and underground

Default Blasts hit London bus and underground

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...684290,00.html

Police closed the entire London Underground network and evacuated at least two major mainline stations after a rush hour explosion at an underground station in the City that left a number of commuters injured.

A second incident was reported in nearby Central London.

A number of people were injured in the explosion at the Aldgate station at around 8.49am. The cause of the blast was not immediately clear, although police suggested it might be the result of a train collision or power failure.

Metronet, a company which maintains the infrastructure on the Metropolitan Line, said that the explosion was caused by a power surge.

At Aldgate, a number of "walking wounded" were taken out of the station for treatment at a nearby bus station. Sky News reported that some were covered in blood and live footage from the scene showed other people being stretchered away. At least a dozen fire engines were at the scene.

What appeared to be London's worst transport incident for some years comes just one day after the capital won the right to host the 2012 Olympic Games and among the stations closed was that at Stratford in the East End at the heart of the future Games site. There was no immediate suggestion that this morning's incidents were the result of a terrorist attack, although that has not been excluded/

A London Fire Brigade spokeswoman said: "We have been called to two explosions, one at Aldgate and one at Edgware Road. We have no other information at the moment. Reports are still coming in."

Also closed were Liverpool Street mainline station in the City itself and the Kings Cross mainline station to the north.

Default Re: Blasts hit London bus and underground

An explosion has "ripped a bus apart" just minutes after a number of blasts on London's Underground.Scotland Yard has confirmed there has been an explosion on a bus in Tavistock Place. Union sources claim there have been reports of blasts on three different buses.

Witness Belinda Seabrook said she saw an explosion rip though a bus as it approached Russell Square.

"I was on the bus in front and heard an incredible bang. I turned round and half the double decker bus was in the air," she said.

Scotland Yard could not confirm reports of an explosion on a bus in Russell Square. A spokeswoman said police were at the scene and attempting to determine what had happened.

The entire Tube network has been shut down following the blasts at Aldgate, Edgware Road, King's Cross, Old Street and Russell Square.

It is understood several people have been wounded in the underground blasts, with one unconfirmed eyewitness telling Sky News he saw "bodies on the line".

British Transport Police confirmed there are "walking wounded" and said paramedics have responded to one report of a person classed as "life at risk".

"It's chaos, with people trying to work out what has happened," said a spokesman.

One witness said the packed underground train he was on was 200 metres from King's Cross when there was a huge flash.

The train stopped and people were using umberellas to smash windows of the trains. Passengers were led out of the train by underground staff.

He added people were milling around King's Cross covered in soot.

Clare Benson, 33, a city banker from Kensington, was on a tube at Edware Road where the second incident took place.

"I was in the last carriage at the back of the train nearest the tunnel when I heard a huge bang - you could feel it," she said.

"The lights went off for a couple of minutes and people were scared and wondering what to do.

"The drivers got out and were looking into the tunnel, then they announced that we should evacuate. My ears are still ringing and I was shaking."
    http://uk.news.yahoo.com/050707/140/fmtu4.html

Altogether quite not there! Member GodsPetMonkey's Avatar

Watching the evening news, they just reported that it's been 5 blasts, thouh I have no idea how spread or related they are...
    Caligula and Hadrian - Unit and Building editors for Rome: Total War.
    Now editing -
    export_descr_unit.txt, export_descr_unit_enums.txt, export_units.txt, descr_model_battle.txt
    export_descr_buildings.txt, export_descr_buildings_enums.txt, export_buildings.txt

Senior Member Senior Member English assassin's Avatar

This is looking bad.

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...188265,00.html

No point getting over excited. Macho talk is cheap and isn't going to bring anyone back to life, or catch anyone responsible. Softly softly catchee monkeys I say.
    Last edited by English assassin; 07-07-2005 at 10:39.
    "The only thing I've gotten out of this thread is that Navaros is claiming that Satan gave Man meat. Awesome." Gorebag

I have a cold ball of ice in my stomach right now....
    "I request permanent reassignment to the Gallic frontier. Nay, I demand reassignment. Perhaps it is improper to say so, but I refuse to fight against the Greeks or Macedonians any more. Give my command to another, for I cannot, I will not, lead an army into battle against a civilized nation so long as the Gauls survive. I am not the young man I once was, but I swear before Jupiter Optimus Maximus that I shall see a world without Gauls before I take my final breath."

Senator Augustus Verginius

Senior Member Senior Member Ser Clegane's Avatar

I received a call from a colleague in London an hour or so ago, telling me that she would be late for work as the subway had to stop - at that point it had not been clear that there were explosions.

I sincerely hope that everybody's friends and families are OK. I myself got a number of friends/colleagues there and hope that I will hear soon that they are all fine.

This is bad...

Trying to see if my cousin is ok - he works in the area

Sooner or later ...sooner or later
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

Bummer.
    Unto each good man a good dog

I'm still clinging to hope that this is all a violent coincidence thanks to the underground power surge, and not an act of terrorism.
    "You know me, Marge. I like my beer cold, my TV loud, and my homosexuals fa-laming!" -Homer

Union: 'Explosive device' on Tube

Rail union officials have said their sources had told them there had been at least one explosive device on the Underground.

One explosion happened at Edgware Road and there were suggestions of two other explosions at King's Cross and Aldgate.

Union sources said they had been given the information by at least one senior Tube manager.

Witness Belinda Seabrook said she saw an explosion rip though a bus as it approached Russell Square.

"I was on the bus in front and heard an incredible bang. I turned round and half the double decker bus was in the air," she said.

A bus has been ripped apart in an explosion in central London, an eyewitness said.
    unconfirmed report: 20 dead

BBC: German rail security being raised

Blog Entries

This is quite disturbing. If Terrorists are looking to have Britain withdraw support for their war effort... I think they might be stirring the bees instead. UK is quite a terrifying country when they get angry.

Umm, the day after London gets the Olympics...

Maybe it is the French. J/K

I think the Conseratives will win the next election.

Maybe it is the IRA?

It is possible, but more likely AQ.

Well we've had to live with terrorism since the end of the 60's ...... we don't panic about stuff like this. A bomb will kill, maim, cripple and break no matter who planted it. An IRA bomb is just as deadly as an al-qaeda bomb.

I do hope that the death toll is low....
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Wandering Historian Member eadingas's Avatar
    Llanfairpwll- gwyngyll- gogerych- wyrndrobwll- llantysilio- gogogoch

Sounds like somebody played a very morbid version of Mornington Crescent...
    I'm still not here

They've called the Army in....

Boondock Saint Senior Member The Blind King of Bohemia's Avatar

I can't imagine it being the IRA quite honestly, not even a separatist violent faction of the group.

The stock market has gone mad. My shares have fallen by 4%.

I know it is selfish.

It says 6 explosions on the BBC site.

Boondock Saint Senior Member The Blind King of Bohemia's Avatar

The police report says two dead but some sources say up to twenty but we will just have to wait i suppose for the number of dead.

What gets me is that the media will spout any rumour they happen to hear. Report the bloody news, if you don't know just say so don't make shit up, bloody vultures.

This is a sad day.
    "Winner of the 1st "Shamble's Total War Tournament,
    with 0 losses to his name.
    Hunkin Elvis
    "

-Shambles

Lord of the House Flies Member Al Khalifah's Avatar

The scene at the moment points to a strategic echelon attack on the London transport system designed to bring London to a state of paralysis.

By causing a major distruption to the tube network, passengers have been forced to resort to the bus service. Infact, when my tube train was cancelled earlier I was given a leaflet at the station exit detailing alternative bus routes.

The current scenario does not suggest the intention of this attack was causing mass casualties, as other targets would be far more preferable for this cause. Also the choice of weapons used by those responsible are not optimal for out and out killing. The object of this attack is clearly to make us feel afraid and insecure about using our transport networks.

The worst thing we can do as people of Britain right now is over-react. This is not an instant justification for forcing in identity cards or new invasions of foreign nation states. Neither should we instantly withdraw from Iraq and Afgahnistan. Let us assess the situation fully before making any knee jerk reactions. Remember, whoever is responsible hates our way of life. The worst thing we can do in response is to significantly change the way we live.
    Cowardice is to run from the fear;
    Bravery is not to never feel the fear.
    Bravery is to be terrified as hell;
    But to hold the line anyway.

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

I read on the beeb website that one woman saw someone put a brown jumper on a seat just a few minutes before the explosion. There is also one unconfirmed fatality. Sounds quite horrid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

Senior Member Senior Member English assassin's Avatar

Hear hear Al-K. They can bugger right off, whoever they are. I'm not going to start hating Muslims just because some nutter wants me to. (Assuming it was AQ but then again its not going to have been the boy scouts is it?)
    Last edited by English assassin; 07-07-2005 at 12:02.
    "The only thing I've gotten out of this thread is that Navaros is claiming that Satan gave Man meat. Awesome." Gorebag

Is it confirmed that it even was a terrorist attack?

I feel with you guys - it's sad indeed
    Common Unreflected Drinking Only Smartens

[QUOTE=Mikeus Caesar]I read on the beeb website that one woman saw someone put a brown jumper on a seat just a few minutes before the explosion. QUOTE]

This is the kind of reporting that bugs me, someone took off their jumper, it may or may not have something to do with anything but we'll report it as if brown jumpers are the new source of all evil.

Here's one from the BBc website

The BBC's Frank Gardner said Arab sources said the blasts were probably the work of al-Qaeda.
    Easy on the wild speculation bud
    Last edited by Ja'chyra; 07-07-2005 at 12:08.

Humanist Senior Member Franconicus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Al Khalifah
    The worst thing we can do as people of Britain right now is over-react. This is not an instant justification for forcing in identity cards or new invasions of foreign nation states. Neither should we instantly withdraw from Iraq and Afgahnistan. Let us assess the situation fully before making any knee jerk reactions. Remember, whoever is responsible hates our way of life. The worst thing we can do in response is to significantly change the way we live.
    This is bad news. Don't know whatto say. But in the end the message will be: it takes more to scare Britain.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast