Thread: The Hungerford Massacre, August 1987

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

Default The Hungerford Massacre, August 1987

I was searching for things on the net when i came across some info about something called the Hungerford Massacre, where a man called Michael Ryan went on the rampage in a small village with a Kalashnikov, automatic rifle and Berreta pistol and killed 16 people, injured 15 others and also set fire to his house. I've heard some stuff about this, and was wondering if anyone could give me some more info on this? One thing i have heard about it that was good is that it made the Government bring in new gun laws, prevent people from owning things like Kalashnikovs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

Default Re: The Hungerford Massacre, August 1987

my father used to own a rifle that was semi-auto that he used for hunting and target shooting. He was forced to give that up.

I was only in primary school but I remember that very well.

Since then they have taken away every single other gun that he owned. He is perfectly law abiding and sane.

The anti-gun lobby loves to use high profile, isolated incidents to sweep new legislation in. I believe the same sort of thing happened in Australia, but I cant be sure as I heard it a long time ago.

Insomniac and tired of it Senior Member Slyspy's Avatar

We don't have an anti-gun lobby in the UK.
    "Put 'em in blue coats, put 'em in red coats, the bastards will run all the same!"

"The English are a strange people....They came here in the morning, looked at the wall, walked over it, killed the garrison and returned to breakfast. What can withstand them?"

Not anymore.. Funny thing happens when a lobby gets what it wants, it tends to dissipate.

If there were ever a serious movement to get your guns back, you'll see them come out of the woodwork.

I don't think you understand PJ we never felt the need to own arms.....it not what we do. Hundreds of years ago, maybe some guys had swords and flintlock pistols....but since we invented the Police we let them protect us, after all that's their raison d'etre.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Yeah, people other than nobility never really even hunted much here. Farmers and the like have shotguns though. I know a few people who occasionally happen across a deer or some rabbits...

Personally I'd rather be alive and not having an automatic rifle than being dead, and proudly buried with one.

If it was a real right it'd be an issue, but we have a good police force and armed forces, and it's their job to protect me, and they'd do a far better job of it that I would. How many people in America get killed by firearms accidents? Lot's I'd imagine.

Then who were all those folks marching in the streets after you started making people turn in their guns, and where did all those guns come from?

Of course there wasnt as much ferver over gun ownership like there is in America(or it wouldnt have passed), but there were plenty of pissed off law abiding citizens that had to turn in guns to be destroyed.

My grandparents and great aunt and uncle lived in Hungerford at the time (still do in fact). The gun-man went up the road they lived on, but thankfully they were all away on holiday.

Just a small point, Hungerford isn't really a village, more of a small town.

The gunman chappy killed his mother, a policeman, and several other people (mostly if not elderly if my memory serves me correctly) and shot more. I believe the local police gun unit were hours away on a training excercise, that's why Ryan was able to rampage for so long, IIRC there was only one armed officer in the area trying to catch him, and I think his gun was delayed too.

I don't know too much about the incident, despite some of my family living there at the time, I should probably read up on it a bit more.

in the U.K. plenty of people used to own arms for hunting small game, killing pests etc. Not just in the country but in plenty of smaller industrial settlements too, where the link between the land and industrial work wasn't broken so quickly.

Like I was saying my father owned all these guns, as did his family because of the environment they grew up in. They then maintained them because they were still handy for recreational purposes. Pest control and food supply were less of an issue as my father and his generation of the family tended not to be miners or smallholders like the older generation but got into well paid jobs.

There were no arms controls in the U.K. until the 20th century (or so I believe, correct me if I'm wrong).

I've heard some stuff about this, and was wondering if anyone could give me some more info on this?
    Just a Crazy nut who loved guns and nothing but guns , loved to walk around on the Downs dreseed in Cammo gear shooting things .
    A real loser at school , a wierdo without friends , never had a girlfriend , then he had a row with his mother and killed her , then went out and killed some more .

Thrashaholic ; My grandparents and great aunt and uncle lived in Hungerford at the time (still do in fact).
    You know yourself then that Hungerford is full of nutters , something to do with the inbreeding Your family arn't part of the massive Scarlett clan are they
    Hungerford isn't really a village, more of a small town.
    Yep , and the small villages round it are even crazier than the town .

BTW . if anyone is interested there is a song about the incident written and sung by one of Ryans neighbours , its "Hot off the Wire" by Radical Dance Faction (RDF) .

Caged for your safety Member RabidGibbon's Avatar

I was going to post my own wildly inaccurate memoirs of Hungerford, when I thought I'd better the check the facts, and in doing so found this site...

http://www.jeremyjosephs.com/hunger.htm

Which after gazing over seems quite comprehensive.

Quote Originally Posted by PanzerJager
    I believe the same sort of thing happened in Australia, but I cant be sure as I heard it a long time ago.
    Although if I remember correctly, that legislation had bi-partisan support, and was supported by just about everybody bar gun owners. Democracy at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Tribesman
    Thrashaholic ; My grandparents and great aunt and uncle lived in Hungerford at the time (still do in fact).
    You know yourself then that Hungerford is full of nutters , something to do with the inbreeding Your family arn't part of the massive Scarlett clan are they
    Hungerford isn't really a village, more of a small town.
    Yep , and the small villages round it are even crazier than the town .
    Yes, Hungerford is a bit odd, but quite picturesque. Oddly all the shops seem to be antiques shops, mind, most of the people are antiques too.

No, my family aren't Scarlett's either (who are the 'massive Scarlett clan'?), they aren't native to Hungerford. They moved there from London when they retired.

I saw a program about this quite resently. He went around shooting people. He eventualy shot himslef wilst suronded by police when he was hidning in a school building. Thank god the children had been evacuated.

"A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."