Thread: Total War!

Don't worry, I don't exist Member King of Atlantis's Avatar

Default Total War!

I know i already have a mod in progress and that were not supposed to do this, but i just couldnt resist.

THIS IS MORE OF A MOD_SHOWCASE

Imagine a mod where all the greates nations of the world's past could fight against eachother. Roman legions VS. samurim, the zulu vs. the chinese, knights vs. Greek phalanxes.

The setting of the mod is this:

The mod is placed on a mythical land, where a group of monks(from a differnt dimension/planet) have summoned earths greates warriors to fight for the grand title of greates soldiers ever.

The factions:

Monks-senate
    Three knight orders-three roman families(represnet medieval catholics)

eygpt-eygpt

Greece-greece
    Rome-macedon
    trojans-thrace or maybe Atlantis.
    byzantine empire-selucid empire

arabs-armenia
    persia-parthia
    india-pontus

china-carthage
    japan-numidia

celts-gaul
    monguls-scythia
    aztecs-germans
    zulu-iberia
    vikings-dacia

This mod would not be hard for units as some of these factions are already done from vanillia and a lot of these other factions are covered by other mods that would probably be willing to share.

This mod could be one big collection mod, to showcase the whole total war community.

I could try to make a map for this and ask other mods for permission to use their stuff.

Any intrest in this, i might actually be able to do this myself if other mods are willing to share units and such.

My main reason for wanting this mod is this,

There are literally dozens of mods out there and no way for everybody to play them all. This mod would showcase them all, so people could get a taste of everything and see which one they want to try more of. If this does take off this is a community mod and certainly not anybody under my leadership. I would consider myself an organizer more than a leader.
    Last edited by King of Atlantis; 07-10-2005 at 07:37.

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

Default Re: Total War!

Looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by evil_maniac from mars
    Looks good.
    maybe your mod could donnate some mongul units

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

Our only units so far are one Mongol Horse Archer and some HRE cavalry, with a bit of Mongol infantry. But I'm sure later on we could lend you some, with the consent of team leader HogDog.

Michael Bolton: That is the worst idea I've ever heard.
    Samir Nagheenanajar: Yes, this is horrible, this idea.

Quote Originally Posted by evil_maniac from mars
    Our only units so far are one Mongol Horse Archer and some HRE cavalry, with a bit of Mongol infantry. But I'm sure later on we could lend you some, with the consent of team leader HogDog.
    alright thanks

Michael Bolton: That is the worst idea I've ever heard.
    Samir Nagheenanajar: Yes, this is horrible, this idea.
    whats so bad about it.

This mod unit wise is actually kinda easy

Though i would like completely new units, i might even be able to do this without them

FACTIONS:

Factions that dont really need new units

greece
    rome
    eygpt
    celts
    germanic tribes

Factions that could possibley not need new units

persia-parhtian units renamed
    arabs-beber units renamed
    monguls-scythians renamed
    zulu-numidians renamed

This factions definatly need new units-
    India
    vikings
    china
    japan
    byzantine
    monks
    trojans/atlantis?-This faction is up for debate

Camp map:

The vanilla map could be used, but a new one is preferable.

The Lion Prince Member Sundjata Keita's Avatar

Its harder than you think to convince people to put their work into one mod unless they know it's going to be a great mod eg. Darthmod The idea is OK but I would scrap the bit about the monks and wait for the expansion to come out so you don't need a senate. Good Luck.

I imagine it is hard, but i really would like to try this. If people dont want to sare units then i understand. That is why i put this in the general forum until i get some okay's from people to use their units.

And i know that rome total realism allow their units to be used with proper reconition, so i could use some of their units if i need to.

BTW, Sundjata Keita, want to donate some Zulu units
    Last edited by King of Atlantis; 07-08-2005 at 08:08.

Not really but if you get lots of other mods co-operation and I see some work done I may donate a few for this mod only. I used to have some arab units which I made as practice ones ages ago but I think I deleted the files, they were only practice anyway so they weren't very good.

Well i think i should wait till Bi, cause then some more of the factions will be done.

Hmmm... this reminds me a lot of this mod idea. KoA, you might it interesting to read through what they did and and see what happened to it.
    Epistolary Richard's modding Rules of Cool
    Cool modders make their mods with the :mod command line switch
    If they don't, then Cool mod-users use the Mod Enabler (JSGME)
    Cool modders use show_err
    Cool modders use the tutorials database Cool modders check out the Welcome to the Modding Forums! thread Cool modders keep backups Cool modders help each other out

1. this mod has already been started
    2. i never liked the idea
    3. there are like 4 mods like this
    4. it don' matter that vanilla already has some factions, if your gona make this mod, you MUST make new units and skins for vanilla
    5. this mod doesnt require much work, you could just wait for all the major mods that do the "big nations in history" like take zulus from the zulu mod, trojans from troy, greeks from some greek mod out there, romans from some roman mod out there, mongols from khan, japanese from sengoku jidai, and HEY! you forgot native americans! (i think) what about the aztecs and mayans and incans and iruquios? watever, dont bother, its being made. as you know

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly5
    1. this mod has already been started
    2. i never liked the idea
    3. there are like 4 mods like this
    4. it don' matter that vanilla already has some factions, if your gona make this mod, you MUST make new units and skins for vanilla
    5. this mod doesnt require much work, you could just wait for all the major mods that do the "big nations in history" like take zulus from the zulu mod, trojans from troy, greeks from some greek mod out there, romans from some roman mod out there, mongols from khan, japanese from sengoku jidai, and HEY! you forgot native americans! (i think) what about the aztecs and mayans and incans and iruquios? watever, dont bother, its being made. as you know
    I cant just take from the mods, i have to ask, and many people dont want to share th units so it might be hard, but i still want to try it. What are the other four mods like this? I will wait for BI, plus rtr allows all their stuff to be used so that nocks out many of the factions.

I could do native americans instead of germanics.
    Last edited by King of Atlantis; 07-09-2005 at 03:25.

What about scrapping the senate and adding a couple of new factions like the Aztecs and Russians. You could also scrap the monks if you need more faction places, maybe add some of the medieval powers such as Britain and France. Obviously you can't have every culture in the world but these would be nice additions I'm sure.

britian and france could be represnted by the knighting orders.

so faction changes-

germanics-aztecs/incas/or mayans

i like the monks as it can explain how all these nations from differnt time periods landed on this new land.
    Last edited by King of Atlantis; 07-09-2005 at 21:21.

Well why dont you just start it yourself. Perhaps when people see that you've commited yourself to the mod, they'll join. And by starting it yourself, I dont mean writing up unit lists. I mean skinning, modeling, etc - graphical work. If you can't do your own graphical work, I'd advise against starting up fantasy mods (or any mod at all to be honest)...

Oh, you're right about one thing though. You'll have to make your own trojan units...
    Last edited by dark_shadow89; 07-10-2005 at 01:23.

I cant model, hoping to be able to skin one day, but that is why this is still just an idea. If a couple good mods agree to share some units, this thing could probably take off.

It's ending is a complete compy of fight club
    The list was factions that cant be used from vanilla, but are you implying that troy total war wont share, which is perfectly fine.
    Last edited by King of Atlantis; 07-10-2005 at 01:51.

What I'm saying is, that if an established mod team was interested in this, they'd go out and do the mod themselves, including all new units. They wouldn't have to 'share' their units with you, when they can make the entire mod themselves, and they definately wouldn't place themselves under your leadership...

...I guess I'm getting a case of "Prof-itis" (reference to Prof420 from SCC)...just sick of seeing people who have no modding skills trying to start ridiculously massive mod ideas, that will either never get off the ground, or end up dying...
    Last edited by dark_shadow89; 07-10-2005 at 04:42.

edit: Nevermind. I was thinking of something else entirely.
    Last edited by CMcMahon; 07-10-2005 at 04:56.

The Dark Knight Member wlesmana's Avatar

That idea's not gonna work unless you model them yourselves.
    Remember what you're asking here. You're not just to use other people's work and you're PITTING them against each other. Knowing modders, they have pride in their work. So how are you going to balance them? Each mod got their own take on the stats and that makes the army behavior different in each game (if you've modded, you SHOULD have known this).

How are you going to appease each mod if you can't make them have similar stats? You'll get barraged by an entire mod team (or two) if you made their units appear weaker then the mod team's original plan. Or if their faction kept losing to or weaker than other mods' factions.

Quote Originally Posted by dark_shadow89
    What I'm saying is, that if an established mod team was interested in this, they'd go out and do the mod themselves, including all new units. They wouldn't have to 'share' their units with you, when they can make the entire mod themselves, and they definately wouldn't place themselves under your leadership...

...I guess I'm getting a case of "Prof-itis" (reference to Prof420 from SCC)...just sick of seeing people who have no modding skills trying to start ridiculously massive mod ideas, that will either never get off the ground, or end up dying...
    This mod is actually pretty small, but i just wanted to see what the community/mod teams thought of this. That is why i put this in the general forum. It looks like people dont really want this, so it probably wont take off.

My main reason for wanting this mod is this,

There are literally dozens of mods out there and no way for everybody to play them all. This mod would showcase them all, so people could get a taste of everything and see which one they want to try more of. If this does take off this is a community mod and certainly not anybody under my leadership. I would consider myself an organizer more than a leader.

That's an even worse reason.

"Hey guys, don't play Europa Barbarorum or Zhang Guo Total War! Just download my mod, you get to play both at the same time!!"
    What you'll be doing is making people skip the original mods for your combo pack. And you're expecting modders to share their units with you?

Even if you claim you're doing this to promote those mods, what you're doing is still shifting the limelight from them to you, or at least hogging some of the attention.

If you want my true, honest opinion. This is what my mind read when I read the original post "I want to make a mod where I use other teams' hard work". So, sorry, that didn't give me a good impression.

I dont want limelight for this, i could actually care less if my name was in the read-me.

Do you really think people wouldnt play a mod cause there was a showcase with 6 out of there 100 unitss. People playing this mod would be the kind of people like me who think many of the mods are good, but they just cant possibly play them all.

I know rtr allows their stuff to be used with permission and i was wondering if other mods were the same. If mods dont want to part of this then i understand.

I didnt think that this would go through, but i plan on doing this for myself, anyways as I really want to play just about every mod, but i thought i would see if the mods wanted this and it could go public. You may not like it, but this idea is a dream to me.

I have always been told that the only stupid question is the one not asked, so who are you to yell at me. I planned this as it could be great fun, which is what playing games is really about, and could allow many mods to show their stuff.

I am sorry if any mods took offense to this it was just a hopeful idea, i thought that people would at least be nice about it, but i guess I was wrong
    Last edited by King of Atlantis; 07-10-2005 at 18:41.

A few things to nip any potential difficulties in this thread in the bud:

1) No one is yelling, and no one will be yelling without answering to the moderators.

2) Do not worry that anyone has taken offence, they haven't.

3) There aren't actually that many completed mods out there that offer a significantly different gaming experience - the vast majority of any mods that you might see listed are mini-mods or expansion mods. I can't even think of a dozen that have been completed that are significantly different enough to warrant inclusion. Mods in progress, now that's a different matter, but being in progress is not the same as having a release, even a beta version. And what with programmes like the Mod Switcher available, I think that people could play them all if they wanted to.

4) Mods can vary wildly in their approach to gameplay, check out the differences in unit stats between something like SPQR and DarthMod and RTR for example. There's no way that you could properly represent the gameplay aspects of them all. So what you're really talking about here is showcasing models and skins in a separate environment, which wouldn't really give much of an idea about what the origin mod itself is like to play. Models and skins are the eye-candy of any conversion mod and are normally at the forefront of their promotional efforts.

I think allowing people a taste of mods without having to download 100meg files is a great idea, but I don't think this is the way to do it. This goal might better be achieved by taking a leaf out of CA's book and having a small demo version of the mod available as well. That's what we're already seeing some mods doing by releasing the custom battle/multiplayer side of their mods before the campaign maps.
    Epistolary Richard's modding Rules of Cool
    Cool modders make their mods with the :mod command line switch
    If they don't, then Cool mod-users use the Mod Enabler (JSGME)
    Cool modders use show_err
    Cool modders use the tutorials database Cool modders check out the Welcome to the Modding Forums! thread Cool modders keep backups Cool modders help each other out

Not affiliated with Red Dwarf. Member Ianofsmeg16's Avatar
    Home of Palm trees, cats with no tails, three-legged men, fairies...and more german bikers than germany

Quote Originally Posted by wlesmana
    That's an even worse reason.

"Hey guys, don't play Europa Barbarorum or Zhang Guo Total War! Just download my mod, you get to play both at the same time!!"
    What you'll be doing is making people skip the original mods for your combo pack. And you're expecting modders to share their units with you?

Even if you claim you're doing this to promote those mods, what you're doing is still shifting the limelight from them to you, or at least hogging some of the attention.

If you want my true, honest opinion. This is what my mind read when I read the original post "I want to make a mod where I use other teams' hard work". So, sorry, that didn't give me a good impression.
    Leave of Him, he only had an idea, lf somebody gets flamed for an idea then that is wrong. What gives you the right to be so harsh?
    When I was a child
    I caught a fleeting glimpse
    Out of the corner of my eye.
    I turned to look but it was gone
    I cannot put my finger on it now
    The child is grown,
    The dream is gone.
    I have become comfortably numb...

Proud Supporter of the Gahzette

My apologies if I sounded too harsh.
    I have nothing against you or your mod idea, just your idea of using other mod's units. If you can make the units yourself, then it'd be cool. But just using 6 units from a mod, and most probably not using their stats as each mod got different takes on stats, is not promoting the mod.

Welp i guess this isnt going to work

This might live on.

-Webird will allow me to use his Celts.
    -RTR allows everything to be shared
    -waitcu(leader of ZHAN GUO TOTAL WAR) will allow chinese and some other units too!
    -Khan total war?
    -Sundjata Keita, enough intrest for some zulu??